Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    I'm playing and enjoying the Necro. I do notice that I'm slower at killing mobs than some other classes (I've seen dudes with massive swords run up and demolish mobs) but I don't mind as my character (Faluzure) is so themed towards necromancy that I can't really imagine playing something else. Sure, if the class reaches a point where it's totally unplayable (and people are refusing to group with me despite me being a good player) then I'd consider a reroll. I don't think Arenanet would let it get to that though. They have no reason why they would let one class fall flat on its face.

I'm going to remain patient and see if things improve. I don't do much pvp, so in the strictest sense, class balance isn't a major threat to my enjoyment of the game. My current support build is really awesome (nearly OP) that I really have no issues with the game.

Pick something thats in between. Right now my favorite class and spec to play is a minionmancer but its more broken than a Vanilla ret pally so Im not touching it again until minions are buffed as well as the life siphon passives. On the other hand I also tried a warrior and hated it. Sure I mowed everything over without ever losing health but I detested the class. Then I tried Ranger didnt love it but didnt hate it and it does well so thats what Im playing until Necros get fixed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ranger is quite impressive. Melee rangers can be a whole lot of fun just to watch, let alone play.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-09-14 at 03:46 PM.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

I seem to be one of the few people playing this game entirely because I'm having fun. A level 5 necromancer is actually more fun than my level 80 warrior right now, and I'm alright with that. I have always felt that fun is the entire point of video games lol.

Playing a OP class that I inherently dislike won't keep me playing a game. Not only is the gameplay sacrificed, but the challenge of "how do I get past this while someone else is facerolling their way through it" is removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorias View Post
    I seem to be one of the few people playing this game entirely because I'm having fun. A level 5 necromancer is actually more fun than my level 80 warrior right now, and I'm alright with that. I have always felt that fun is the entire point of video games lol.
    you play for fun yet you leveled warrior which is the most OP class first You needed to go 80 level warrior to understand that level 5 necromancer is more fun? All I can say is after 80 levels with warrior you got bored with him and now necromancer feels more fun..I can also assure you that Elementalist for me was a great fun the first 20 levels.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    As someone that play both Elementalist and Warrior I can say clearly that Elementalist are way underpowered. Warrior can do x2 better with 2-3 buttons than an elementalist can do with 15 buttons(swapping attunements included). Elementalist was my first big disappointment in the game...When I switch from my warrior to play the Elementalist it just feels it take ages to kill a single mob with much more effort on kiting and much more ability use.

Frustration wins over fun at last I just keep playing my Ele and hope for a patch to fix things. In my mind a glass cannon class must have lot of damage to balance its weakness..as for classes being excluded from things, I have already seen several posts on Map "looking for more for x dungeon, except elementalist". I am no kidding..I am not an expert on dungeons, maybe the people exclude elementalist are just un-fair or have little knowledge of the game but it is happening
    I too have an Ele and a Warrior. The Ele is MUCH harder to do well with due to them being so squishy. I shelved my Ele for a bit to see if a different class had an easier time with story quests and just killing in general. It was quite obvious how much more difficult the Ele is. I can kill mobs 2 or 3 levels higher with my Warrior, my Ele has to work hard to kill something the same level. There is just too much switching attunements for my play style.

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    you play for fun yet you leveled warrior which is the most OP class first You needed to go 80 level warrior to understand that level 5 necromancer is more fun? All I can say is after 80 levels with warrior you got bored with him and now necromancer feels more fun..I can also assure you that Elementalist for me was a great fun the first 20 levels.
    Na I picked warrior because I NEVER play warrior classes. I hated them in WoW and I couldn't stand melee in any other games. I was always the ranger or thief in other games, sometimes a wizard/mage style class as well, but NEVER tanky melee classes.

I just wanted to try something different, and I loved it! But I'm still having tons of fun starting new characters

EDIT: I'm not BORED with my Warrior, I love end-game and I love feeling powerful and stuff, I just like the feeling of doing something completely new every time I start a character even more.
    Last edited by Artorias; 2012-09-14 at 04:26 PM.

Deleted
    You should always play what is fun, you should never play a FOTM class. Class balance can, and will change, and every class when played well can be competitive. You game for fun.... I don't understand why you would ever think about rolling a class that you don't have fun playing just because it's currently considered by some people to be the strongest.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    You should always play what is fun, you should never play a FOTM class. Class balance can, and will change, and every class when played well can be competitive. You game for fun.... I don't understand why you would ever think about rolling a class that you don't have fun playing just because it's currently considered by some people to be the strongest.
    Yea but we dont know what speed the ANet Devs do stuff. Are they very fast like Rift or mentally challenged like SW:ToR?

10+ Year Old Account
    O_o

Some people feel that good and fun are synonymous, but draw from different sides of the spectrum.

Also, what's "good" is going to often be extremely exaggerated. I spent most of my WoW raiding career as an Enhancement Shaman, from as far back as Battle for Mount Hyjal in TBC. I spent all of Cata hearing "amgherd, shaman are underpowered and useless, Paragon said so!"

Ya know what? I proved 'em wrong all expansion long.

If you think your profession is fun, but "underpowered" you should try to spend time making yourself the best <profession> you can be, and tell everyone else to shove it up... well, you get the idea.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-14 at 04:32 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    Yea but we dont know what speed the ANet Devs do stuff. Are they very fast like Rift or mentally challenged like SW:ToR?
    If you played GW1 you'd know how fast ANet can be with class balances. Check the most recent post by Anet devs on GW2.com to see their stance on class balance. They are waiting for meta-game development in the community before they make any huge changes.

Deleted
    What the Anet devs are like really has nothing to do with the fact that this is an entertainment source for you, so do what's fun, it really is that simple surely?

10+ Year Old Account
    Last night, they nerfed Heartseeker like so:
    Heartseeker: Reduced damage of the 100%-50% threshold by 20%. Damage thresholds changed. Old: 100%-66%, 66%-33%, 33%-0%. New: 100%-50%, 50%-25%, 25%-0%.
    Fast enough for ya?
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Guys, Terran are OP. They always will be. And that's that.

I should try more classes, but I've always been a "one character" guy...That is, my collections/titles/mounts/whatever was always per one collector, then the rest were gear maximizers/PvP/fun. I think in my entire WoW career up until Cata, I always played an Elemental Shaman and had no other mains. Then as Cata got easy and boring, I started a Blood DK and Feral Druid for funsies. I can't wait to hit the point of "This Guardian isn't doing it for me right now" and start something else, as I continue to hear how everything is so different playstyle wise. The problem is...I want 100% completion, I want all crafting to 400, I want legendaries...ugh...

Play what's fun, never what's "OP". Damn Terran! Freaking T1 Marines man, so OP.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    Guys, Terran are OP. They always will be. And that's that.

I should try more classes, but I've always been a "one character" guy...That is, my collections/titles/mounts/whatever was always per one collector, then the rest were gear maximizers/PvP/fun. I think in my entire WoW career up until Cata, I always played an Elemental Shaman and had no other mains. Then as Cata got easy and boring, I started a Blood DK and Feral Druid for funsies. I can't wait to hit the point of "This Guardian isn't doing it for me right now" and start something else, as I continue to hear how everything is so different playstyle wise. The problem is...I want 100% completion, I want all crafting to 400, I want legendaries...ugh...

Play what's fun, never what's "OP". Damn Terran! Freaking T1 Marines man, so OP.
    Generally yeah, I tend to have a strange issue with this concept for me, I tend to believe in playing what is beneficial or what is needed to help people, because I find it fun to help people, and rarely care as much about personal fun as much, because I have fun with whatever typically, though honestly, playing engineer for a while, I didn't really like it as much as I thought, and have really enjoyed my mesmers mechanics a lot more, so I decided to focus on the mesmer for now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    OT: Except for a viable Colossi build. :3

Quote Originally Posted by Shadylol View Post
    Play what's good, because playing a class you think is "fun", won't stay "fun", when you're not viable
    This is really terrible advice. I am going to use WoW as an example, because I played it for so long. I played a Druid and a Priest mostly. The Druid was my first, though. To me, it was fun. Even when it wasn't "viable", I still had a blast with it. I played my Druid for 6 years, always adapting to the changes that were made to the class. You need to pick a profession that meets your needs. Right now I am playing a Necromancer. I thought I was going to be a Mesmer for sure, but I figured I'd give the Necromancer a whirl. I love it. It's not the strongest class, it does need a little TLC, but despite that, I am still having fun with it. People who only play the "flavor-of-the-month" classes are missing out on what they could truly be enjoying. Professions are going to change. They are going to be buffed and nerfed, you just need to find the on that suites you, and take the buffs and nerfs as they come.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with his statement is that people have different measures of "viable" and "not viable" in their heads. There's Elementalists out there getting refused by groups because some people think they're "not viable" when other players feel that Elementalists are amazing in a group.

"not viable" is just a phrase that, to me, means "people are elitist and need to shut up and play"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadylol View Post
    It's not about rolling flavor of the month, it's about avoiding awful classes. There's nothing fun about getting rolled over in PvP, and/or not getting to raid due to your class
    I know he's banned, but I have to address this. There are no "awful classes". Buffs and nerfs happen, it's just the way MMO's are. Your profession will change for better or for worse, but it won't be "terrible" or "unplayable". People only get "rolled over in PvP" by not using the mechanics to their advantage. If you don't dodge, you'll die. If you're using an awful mitch-matched build, you'll die. Like if a Necromancer goes into PvP with a condition build, but uses daggers and an axe, yeah, they won't be as efficient if they had been using scepter/warhorn and staff, for example. GW2 doesn't have raids, so I'm assuming he's talking about WoW or another game that does. In all the years I played WoW, no class was ever "so bad" they were excluded from raids, and I raided with a few top-notch guilds. Some specs were awful, but the entire class? No.

So I'll reiterate; play what you find fun. Find a build that works, and when nerfs/buffs come, take another look at your build and fix it if need be. That's just the nature of MMO's.

---------- Post added 2012-09-14 at 02:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    The problem with his statement is that people have different measures of "viable" and "not viable" in their heads. There's Elementalists out there getting refused by groups because some people think they're "not viable" when other players feel that Elementalists are amazing in a group.

"not viable" is just a phrase that, to me, means "people are elitist and need to shut up and play"
    Pretty much. I think of "not viable" as someone who won't dodge, or bring utility to a group in dungeons/PvP. Nothing to do with a certain class, it's all about who's playing it.