Poll: Are you enjoying the "Endgame"?

Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    This is my last attempt at explaining this to the fans, hopeful example:

I can buy the mats to level up Jeweling on my alt for X dollars or I can spend 3 days farming the mats.

• If I spend 3 days farming the mats, I saved X dollars.

• If I use X dollars to buy the mats, I bought myself 3 days worth of gaming time.
    And I don't know how much clearer I can explain it.

$ -> G
    Correct.

G = $
    Incorrect.

One-sided conversion is not the same as the two units being uniform and freely interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    And I don't know how much clearer I can explain it.

$ -> G
    Correct.

G = $
    Incorrect.

One-sided conversion is not the same as the two units being uniform and freely interchangeable.

That would be true if no one fueled real cash into the economy, but that is not the case.

At this point it is a comprehension issue.

Gold and cash are uniform as you put it, not interchangeable which no one ever claimed to begin with.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    That would be true if no one fueled real cash into the economy, but that is not the case.
    But that has nothing to do with it. How is it people don't understand that?

The GW2 economy is not equal to real money. This is a fact that cannot be argued. Hence not uniform. How this is such a difficult concept to grasp is a mystery to me.

Deleted

The GW2 economy is not equal to real money. This is a fact that cannot be argued. Hence not uniform. How this is such a difficult concept to grasp is a mystery to me.
    If someone buys gold(from us) or we buy from other people THEN it is has a value in dollar.

You can get gold from Anet( Very discouraged, extremely expensive and it's a scam more or less) then you convert your money to gold. You can also SELL your gold to other people and since there is a buyer who is willing to buy for REAL LIFE MONEY, then gold has a value in dollar.

But that condition only suffices if there are people that buy gold from other people ( which i think the majority of people do).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgeez View Post
    You can also SELL your gold to other people and since there is a buyer who is willing to buy for REAL LIFE MONEY
    As previously mentioned there are multiple obvious reasons as to why that's not applicable.

....ok, i'm going to explain this as plainly as i can without drawing pictures in crayon.

the reason things are worth money, is cause people want them and will pay money for them.
    thats the reason why gold is a ridiculously valuable metal but iron is just so-so.

you buy gems with real money, you can buy or sell gold with gems, thus gold is worth money.

money=gems=gold=money.
    or gold=time=money.

thats FACT, shouting an opinion is fact does not make it so, proving it is fact does.

if you're having problems grasping this don't take a economics class, your head will catch on fire and your brain will explode and no one wants that... other then psychopaths, gorephiliacs, sadists, and the people who like to watch snuff films(which im pretty sure is made up of the first 3).
    Last edited by mordale; 2012-10-08 at 03:12 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    you buy gems with real money, you can buy or sell gold with gems, thus gold is worth money.
    Again, no. What part of "one-way transfer" is it that you don't understand? It has to be "one-way", isn't it?

Okay, listen. One is a number. This is a really important part, so pay attention. A number is this funny little figure that represents things in the world which can be counted. So one is the smallest number. It's like having one piece of candy. And when you eat that piece of candy, you have no candies left. That's one. Now, and this is where it gets complicated, "one-way" is when things move in one direction, but it can't move in the other. Like if you eat that candy, it's not coming back. That's one-way. And to put this in the terms we're talking about here, money is worth gems and thus indirectly gold, and gold is worth gems, but gold and gems are not worth money. You see? Because it's a one-way transfer. You can put the money in the game, but you can't take the money out of the game. One way transfer. One. Way. One.

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    gold=time [...] if you're having problems grasping this don't take a economics class, your head will catch on fire and your brain will explode
    Wow... someone who thinks gold has the same quality, measure and value as time? Ye gods... get a grip, mate.

Okay, guys. It's getting a little heated in this thread. No one has crossed the line yet. Please, try to remain civil & respectful to each other though.

Some good discussion here. Let's keep it going without being jerks.

-Fencers
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-10-08 at 04:48 PM.

Deleted
    Wow... someone who thinks gold has the same quality, measure and value as time? Ye gods... get a grip, mate.
    Not the same value, no one has said that they have the same value. But there is A value for sure. For example on gold selling sites 1g costs about 0,9$ or something and that means 1 gold = 0,9 $. (for this site only, the site being fictional but the price is correct i presume)

You are making it sound like just because it is against the TOS then gold can't be converted back to real life money, which is correct if the following condition suffice. The condition being that all gold->money transactions which is against the TOS is banned(and all the ones doing it are also removed from the game).

The condition does not hold true in todays GW2 because Anet doesn't ban (Goldsellers,goldbuyers,botters,exploiters,hackers) because they do not have any good way to do so yet.

Because this condition does not hold true we can still sell & buy gold without fear from ban and therefor gold has a value in real life money.

P.S ( If your stance was correct then how come illegal drugs are worth ridicolous amounts of money? )
    Last edited by mmocedd8d9692b; 2012-10-08 at 04:51 PM.

All I do is wvw, have yet to even finish story mode. WvW is where its at.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    BMAH anyone? lol
    Otoh, in GW2 you can only get the most prestigious dungeon gear from the dungeons. Can't buy it anywhichway.
    Please be realistic to when you say BMAH and go learn what it is before saying people can just buy gear from it because they can't it's only a bid system and gear starts well into the 100k gold plus and realistically not every one can get it. It's one huge gold sink to dump away off the servers not a way for people to buy gear.

Also note that not every single server has gear on it and some have the .1% chance mount drops so no not every one can go and get it and before you say they could transfer blizzard has a cap amount of gold you can have before you transfer and it isn't even close to the starting bid.

Again, no. What part of "one-way transfer" is it that you don't understand? It has to be "one-way", isn't it?
    Is food worth money even though you cant sell it back after eating it? Fact is, just because something can only be converted one way does not make it worth that currency. Its still worth how much you can buy it for, especially before you have bought it. I have 20$. is 100 gold worth $20? To some people it may be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Is food worth money even though you cant sell it back after eating it? Fact is, just because something can only be converted one way does not make it worth that currency. Its still worth how much you can buy it for, especially before you have bought it. I have 20$. is 100 gold worth $20? To some people it may be.
    That is a very good example. Food that has been eaten isn't worth any money. You can't sell food you've eaten.

I'm not going to say much more on the topic (if anything), because it can't really be made any clearer, and I've already lost my temper once in this discussion due to the sheer idiocy of others.

Deleted
    Weirdly enough, I enjoy the PVE endgame more than PVP-endgame. But when Rated tpvp is out I think they will be on par. And I enjoy PVE endgame very much, it's to be said. I am just having a blast farming, doing dungeon with pals and collecting achievements like the jumping puzzles.

Deleted
    That is a very good example. Food that has been eaten isn't worth any money. You can't sell food you've eaten.

I'm not going to say much more on the topic (if anything), because it can't really be made any clearer, and I've already lost my temper once in this discussion due to the sheer idiocy of others.
    In my opinion you are wrong and your hypothesis is faulty. The only one winning this debate is exploiters,hackers,goldsellers,goldbuyers and botters. Why? Because they don't waste time sitting on this discussion board discussing gold conversion value. They are out and destroying your game that you love and they are making a bomb out of it. The game you love is slowly dying because the endgame is poop and the pvp balance and pvp is bad.

Anet get your head out of your ass and start making good decisions

TL;DR Legit players lose, the game is dying, botters and exploiters win.

Where and how can I sell gold/gems for $ ? U've got my attention now.

*snip*

If we can't ask for such things, mod this post.

Yeah, this kind of discussion isn't allowed on the forums, and it's against the games ToS/EULA last I checked as well. So let's just leave it at, "it exists, but it's strongly recommended that you not take part in that kind of behavior." : ) -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-10-09 at 04:52 PM.

Deleted
    im loving the end game. there may not be much in terms of dungeons etc but the fact you can go back and do all the old dungeons and get lvl apporopriate gear to sell (because its crap!) is amazing! and the fact theres so much to do!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdpride View Post
    Thats a really dumb list to be honest. I could do the same thing regarding WoW and add probably 400 things to 'do' at end game, but those things arent really what people expect when they hear or mean end game.

And no I am not enjoying end game. I quit two days ago and am going back to WoW for the first time since Cata launched ;/

Quote Originally Posted by Vormav View Post
    Thats a really dumb list to be honest. I could do the same thing regarding WoW and add probably 400 things to 'do' at end game, but those things arent really what people expect when they hear or mean end game.

And no I am not enjoying end game. I quit two days ago and am going back to WoW for the first time since Cata launched ;/
    It all boils down to raiding. Sure both games have some different features, one could start nitpicking at will. But take away raiding from WoW and you instantly get the same "problem" as with GW2. And GW2 was never marketed as a game with raiding so I never felt like I was cheated out of something. In fact, I am enjoying GW2 atm and I have still plenty of things to do and months of game time ahead. I would enjoy those same things in WoW even without raiding. But in case of WoW that would happen in 2005 (and it DID happened) and not in 2012 when the game itself is very dated and I am bored as hell after spending so much time with it. The same will probably apply to GW2 in 2019. But not today. Enjoy whatever suits you best.
    Last edited by Awe; 2012-10-10 at 06:51 AM.