Poll: Are you enjoying the "Endgame"?

Page 22 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    In GW2 levels are primarily stages of unlocking. That is a different approach which is definitely a good step in the right direction with the context of MMORPGs. Not perfectly done but well enough to give them praise for trying it.
    Not really. But I guess that enters the domain of personal taste. We both could argue till kingdom come and neither one of us would be right.

The downscaling is a bit misunderstood because when you level up you gain more skills and more powerful gear and traits (with multiple stats on it) and the downscaling takes that into account so a 6 (↓80) is still more powerful than a vanilla level 6.
    Yeah ok, I kill the mob a little faster, but still It just feels wrong. I like to be able to walk through a low level zone w/o aggroing every mob in sight. <_<

I think "fanboy" is a pretty hostile term aimed into baiting people and feeling antagonized.
    My definition of the word: Someone who is in love with a thing and hence is unable to objectively judge it. It's by no means intended as hostile, because it happens to us all from time to time with different things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Yeah ok, I kill the mob a little faster, but still It just feels wrong. I like to be able to walk through a low level zone w/o aggroing every mob in sight. <_<
    I love the downscaling. Its pleasantly different that I can even go back to the 1-15 zones and still have some challenge.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I love the downscaling. Its pleasantly different that I can even go back to the 1-15 zones and still have some challenge.
    Some people like it, and some people don't. It's something that should have been made an option for those who like it, but not forced upon the entire playerbase

Personally, I don't really care. There's no reason to go back to low level zones for any length of time, anyway. You're just gonna be there to travel from point A to point B, or farm map completion, neither of which is a task that takes very long, nor requires you to do much combat where you'd actually notice the effects of being downleveled
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    It's something that should have been made an option for those who like it, but not forced upon the entire playerbase
    This. I love downscaling when I play with my low level friend.
    I HATE it when I'm playing alone.

A simple switch would have made it perfect.

Its pleasantly different that I can even go back to the 1-15 zones and still have some challenge.
    There isn't a single location in sub 50 zones that presents even a remote challenge for a level appropriate char. If you're downleveled it's just "meh I added .. again...".
    Challenging (in my case it's annoying) zones I experienced are the dredge caverns and Orr. But Orr was designed with group play in mind, so that doesn't really count.
    And they aren't really a challenge at all. Even in Orr I can just stand there, facetank the mob and nuke him down w/o ever changing my attunement.

Dunno, maybe we define challenge differently?

10+ Year Old Account
    This. I love downscaling when I play with my low level friend.
    I HATE it when I'm playing alone.
    Not sure what you mean. I don't even notice it... well, ever, in fact.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    It happens when you go to a zone, or area of a zone that's a certain amount of levels lower than you

For example, I have a level 80 Warrior, but if I go to a level 15 area of a 15-25 zone, it will make me level 15
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's a matter of what I'm used to. I play WoW for 6 years and being able to roflstomp lowlevel mobs feels normal to me and is part of the reward structure for the hated (by me) leveling process.

A.k.a. "Look at me now you S.O.B. Mob, remember the little priestess you ganked and allways killed? Take this!" *SMACK*.
    I still have the Fel reaver on hellfire peninsula on KoS

From a technical PoV you're correct. Mob killtime doesn't vary that much. (Except sub Lv 10 mobs those die like flies.)

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's a matter of what I'm used to. I play WoW for 6 years and being able to roflstomp lowlevel mobs feels normal to me and is part of the reward structure for the hated (by me) leveling process.

A.k.a. "Look at me now you S.O.B. Mob, remember the little priestess you ganked and allways killed? Take this!" *SMACK*.

From a technical PoV you're correct. Mob killtime doesn't vary that much. (Except sub Lv 10 mobs those die like flies.)
    I get what you mean, you never get that feeling of accomplishment riding through lowbie zones going "yeah im a badass now", you can also never have relaxing time walking through a zone exploring it without like 50 mobs chasing you thrashing their arms wildly.

Basically, guild wars 2 chooses to give up this aspect to provide more "relevant" content. Which some may prefer, some may not like as much etc.

As for mob killing time, I actually seem to notice quite a bit of a difference between say, the 70 area in straits and the 80 area in the last orr zone.

10+ Year Old Account

You're kidding, right? I do "roflstomp" low level mobs. O_o

I don't ever one-shot them, and it's not the case that I can't die if I'm reckless, but I still "roflstomp" them to the point that they're not really a challenge anymore.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadylol View Post
    I expected this would be the case in Guild Wars 2. The last time I played a game published by NC Soft (Aion), it was extremely grindy
    The last time I played a game published by NC Soft (Guild Wars), it didn't have any grind (except optional that didn't gave any advantage).

Now ANet shoot themselves in the foot in this one perhaps to catter to the idiots that cried for months that GW2 needed gear grind.

Deleted
    Subjective.
    I don't play to feel badass.
    "Roflstomp" (i hate these "words"), through low level mobs is pretty shallow, imho.
    I found scaling a great feature, and i hope they can make "roflstomping" optional instead of mandatory in other MMOs i play.
    Subjective, as i said.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbas View Post
    The last time I played a game published by NC Soft (Guild Wars), it didn't have any grind (except optional that didn't gave any advantage).

Now ANet shoot themselves in the foot in this one perhaps to catter to the idiots that cried for months that GW2 needed gear grind.
    Aion was a more recent release, so I assumed it would be more similar to Aion than the first Guild Wars

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Holydorf View Post
    Subjective.
    I don't play to feel badass.
    "Roflstomp" (i hate these "words"), through low level mobs is pretty shallow, imho.
    I found scaling a great feature, and i hope they can make "roflstomping" optional instead of mandatory in other MMOs i play.
    Subjective, as i said.
    For me feeling badass is more about looking good while killing stuff than killing stuff with one hit.

*bam* knock down 5 mobs *boom* giant aoe *pffftt* fire breathing. Haha burn and bleed to your second death, filthy undead

Pretty much the same as playing Bayonetta :>

Deleted
    Shadylol
    Aion was made by NC Soft, Guild Wars by ANet.
    Like I said I believe the change of some philosophies has to do with the QQ of people coming from other mmo's.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbas View Post
    Shadylol
    Aion was made by NC Soft, Guild Wars by ANet.
    Like I said I believe the change of some philosophies has to do with the QQ of people coming from other mmo's.
    Arenanet is owned by NC Soft, though, so I wasn't surprised to see the similarities

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadylol View Post
    Arenanet is owned by NC Soft, though, so I wasn't surprised to see the similarities
    If you've ever read a fiction book, you might notice that somebody wrote the book, while a company published the book.

The only thing NCSoft handled was the publishing side of things. Distribution, advertising, that sort of thing.

When people dislike a book, everybody blames the author, and with good reason. They wrote the damn thing.

The irony here is that, if GW2 had turned out to be the greatest game of all time to the point that nobody had any single complaint about it (absolutely impossible, I'm shocked anybody could believe it's possible), nobody would be praising NCSoft or calling it an NCSoft game. Arena Net would get all the praise for it.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-20 at 02:57 PM.

Actually I prefer the option to set level downscaling myself such as in Rift rather than the automatic mode of GW2. Though not because I need to 1-shot lesser mobs but because the automatic downscaling sometimes isn't enough.

I recall enjoying myself a great deal in the beta's Metrica zone on my Asura. However, when I went back on release as a level 30 the power difference was too great even with downscaling.

Not to blame Anet only for this. Other games with sidekicking and level downscaling often make you way too powerful still. I usually go 2-3 levels below the 5 level increment in Rift because my gear makes me literally immortal, for example. This is why I prefer when the game allows me to set the bar as I see fit.

Perhaps there could have been a middle ground between auto & manual level scaling. Such as auto scaling with a player chosen handicap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dunno, maybe we define challenge differently?
    Hmmm... I thought that bandit vet had taken me out once or twice in the 1-15 for humans. Or that wolf vet who sometimes seems to pop way too many adds. Doing an opps and being in the middle of a wave spawn for a DE. I normally consider a challenge as something which can kill my toon.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Actually I prefer the option to set level downscaling myself such as in Rift rather than the automatic mode of GW2. Though not because I need to 1-shot lesser mobs but because the automatic downscaling sometimes isn't enough.

I recall enjoying myself a great deal in the beta's Metrica zone on my Asura. However, when I went back on release as a level 30 the power difference was too great even with downscaling.

Not to blame Anet only for this. Other games with sidekicking and level downscaling often make you way too powerful still. I usually go 2-3 levels below the 5 level increment in Rift because my gear makes me literally immortal, for example. This is why I prefer when the game allows me to set the bar as I see fit.

Perhaps there could have been a middle ground between auto & manual level scaling. Such as auto scaling with a player chosen handicap.
    That much I can agree with. Sometimes I feel like it either doesn't go far enough, or goes too far.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't ever one-shot them, and it's not the case that I can't die if I'm reckless, but I still "roflstomp" them to the point that they're not really a challenge anymore.
    I can also "roflstomp" mobs in Orr. I generally pull 2 and just AoE them down w/o any trouble at all. I don't see the challenge. (And no, pull 5 moar mobs is not what I consider challenging)

Hmmm... I thought that bandit vet had taken me out once or twice in the 1-15 for humans. Or that wolf vet who sometimes seems to pop way too many adds. Doing an opps and being in the middle of a wave spawn for a DE.
    99% of the rares can't kill you. I had one frog poison spit thing that I couldn't kill, apart from that it's "Pop both fire elementals -> max DPS -> loot". And yep Wolves are extremely annoying, for these you need to kite or the adds tear you to pieces.

Getting a DE spawn on top of you has nothing to do with challenge at all. It's pure random instagib. If you have full HP at the time, it isn't a problem, if you're already low and having a mob of your own, who likes you very much then you're probably dead.

I normally consider a challenge as something which can kill my toon.
    Challenge for me subjective opinion following:
    - Think out of the box or you can't beat the guy
    - Use all your skills correctly and fast to COUNTER his devastating abilities or you're toast.

Giving me a mob that has big auto hits and el-mucho HP is not a challenge. It's a tedious time sink.

Imho it would be way more fun if normal questing mobs got their HP cut by 66% and Veterans got buffed with abilities that we as players need to counter to survive. Either dodge or interrupt or dispel. You know? Making combat ACTIVE. GW2's combat as it is now is incredibly passive, which is super boring in the long run because you can ignore 99% of the mobs abilities. hell I can even facetank the big ones that slam you to the ground for like 5 seconds. doesn't matter, conditions still tick.
    I'm Talking about open world quest mobs (not personal story quest mobs these seem to be tougher somehow), I wouldn't ignore a "big hit attack" from a champion. Unless you have a craving for dirt between your teeth.