whats wrong for planning for the future? i7s will become ubiquitous soon enough. I need it for some work (GIS) applications but appreciate it in games like Witcher 3.
    Lelly you got virtually the same exact setup I have, but i did mine piecemeal. 4790quad 4ghz, z97-g MoBo, gtx 970, 16GB gskill 1866

Is 16 gb ram really worth it? I thought it could only take 8 max or is that the Windows 32 bit or am i completely off?

Quote Originally Posted by Catta View Post
    Is 16 gb ram really worth it? I thought it could only take 8 max or is that the Windows 32 bit or am i completely off?
    4GB is the max for Windows 32. Windows 64 can go much, much higher.

16GB is about the most you'll ever need, though, if you don't do a fair amount of visual editing or intensive, long-term computing with your system. But for high-end PC gamers, 16 isn't a waste.
    Last edited by Reticence; 2015-06-17 at 10:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamith View Post
    whats wrong for planning for the future? i7s will become ubiquitous soon enough. I need it for some work (GIS) applications but appreciate it in games like Witcher 3.
    Lelly you got virtually the same exact setup I have, but i did mine piecemeal. 4790quad 4ghz, z97-g MoBo, gtx 970, 16GB gskill 1866
    GTA 5 on it is amazing, I can actually shoot with a mouse and keyboard and get head shots now

15+ Year Old Account
    16 GB RAM is standard now.
    i7 is good for heavy multithreaded applications and video rendering.
    i5s will overclock higher, at lower temps, and easier to make stable because of the lack of HT.
    The i7 will see virtually 0 gain over the i5 in most gaming applications because most games do not utilize more than 4 cores.

/won

10+ Year Old Account
    16GB is worth it yes, when I bought my PC 3-4 years ago it wasn't but RAM is something where the amount needed is going up fairly fast, in 5 years people will probably be going for 32GBs. Even if she's not using all 8GB now RAM is a fairly inexpensive part of the PC so going for 16GB is just safer for the long run so you're less likely to need to upgrade it later.

And yea what reti said, the max RAM for 64 bit is so high it's not worth thinking about at the moment, you're not going to hit it

Or you could go much higher just because.
    Last edited by Anakso; 2015-06-18 at 05:11 AM.

Depends on your motherboard, really. What do you have?

And I usually go with Corsair due to past experiences, so I don't know much about Kingston, but I haven't heard anything bad. Then again, I haven't really been listening for such things.

Quote Originally Posted by Reticence View Post
    Depends on your motherboard, really. What do you have?

And I usually go with Corsair due to past experiences, so I don't know much about Kingston, but I haven't heard anything bad. Then again, I haven't really been listening for such things.
    What does the motherboard matter? I am not at home right now so all i know is its some sort of Gigabyte. It currently has 2x4gb kingstons iirc.

What does the motherboard matter? I am not at home right now so all i know is its some sort of Gigabyte. It currently has 2x4gb kingstons iirc.
    Well, I'm specifically curious about the "DDR3-2400" portion. DDR3 is pretty standard unless you have one of the newer boards, so I'm less curious about that, but I would double-check that your board will utilize DDR-2400 properly. The board may not support the speed of the memory sticks without overclocking, in which case I believe it will use the memory at the highest speed that it is capable of by default.

As an example my last board (admittedly several years old) supported DDR3-1333, but could go up to DDR3-2000 if I decided to overclock it.

So it may not matter to you at all in terms of quantity (getting more memory than you have), but you might be paying more for a speed your motherboard can't use to its full potential.
    Last edited by Reticence; 2015-06-18 at 03:44 PM. Reason: I suck at English today.

So what should it say if it were to utilize 16 gb ram without being overclocked?

So long as your board isn't a dinosaur, it should utilize all 16GB regardless. The question would be whether it could take advantage of the 2400 MHz speed or will run it at a lower one. If you look up the specs for the motherboard, under memory it should say something like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Reti's old board: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P6T_Deluxe_V2/
    Triple-channel DDR3 2000(O.C.) / 1866(O.C.) / 1800(O.C.) / 1600(O.C.) / 1333 / 1066 Memory
    So you'd just want to see if 2400 is listed there and whether it would need overclocking (O.C., of course). If it's supported by default, then you're golden.

EDIT EDIT: If it's not, then technically you should still be able to use it (you'll still get your 16GB, just running at a slower, supported speed than 2400MHz), but if you have no interest in overclocking then there's some potential there to cut down a little on cost if you look for the same type/amount of memory, just at a slower speed that the board supports.

EDIT: But while you're there you might as well double-check the maximum memory supported just to be sure. They're usually in the same spot. I don't foresee that being a problem, though.
    Last edited by Reticence; 2015-06-18 at 04:27 PM.

I'm running off of 8gb of ram because im a poor sucker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood fox View Post
    I'm running off of 8gb of ram because im a poor sucker.
    Isn't that pretty much all scientists. Society treats you guys like shit but your advancements help us.

Its battered women's syndrome!

Quote Originally Posted by Lellybaby View Post
    Isn't that pretty much all scientists. Society treats you guys like shit but your advancements help us.

Its battered women's syndrome!
    Scientist isn't really a word used in my language - our word sounds weird and old. What does it requires to be a scientist?

10+ Year Old Account
    Scientist isn't really a word used in my language - our word sounds weird and old. What does it requires to be a scientist?
    Do science. Biologists, chemist etc. being a doctor doesn't count if that's what you were wondering

Pretty much anyone can call himself a scientist. If you want people to take you seriously when you claim it you should probably have at least one paper published though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Pretty much anyone can call himself a scientist. If you want people to take you seriously when you claim it you should probably have at least one paper published though.
    which I'm working on. Hopefully by the end of the summer ^.^

Quote Originally Posted by Blood fox View Post
    which I'm working on. Hopefully by the end of the summer ^.^
    Is it a study on the correlation between online mafia and low intelligence?

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Is it a study on the correlation between online mafia and low intelligence?
    not my field of study.... although if you want to encase mafia players in glass or test their resistance to HF I'm your man.