Page 6 of 458 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Worgenite View Post
    Well, that once in 5 days is if the chance added up over time. It's like when reading about droprates in wow people will be like "DERP 1/100 means if you kill something 100 times, you'll get it! HERP" when in reality, it's 1/100 every time. I'm sure you know this, I'm just making sure. It would average out that way, but it's likely we won't see it at all in a game, but yeah, something like that would be ok since most games only last 4-6 days anyways.
    Yea, I know, about 22.6% chance it happen at least once on a given day (1 - (.95^5)) which honestly is closer to once in four days than once in five. Note that I don't say that it will have happened after four days, but it will happen once in four days (on average). After 5 days, it is a 72.2% that it has happened at least once.

I don't know though, you were talking about watching movies, maybe you could say during the movie the townie got up for a bathroom break and came back to see the killer enter the room. They have an epic fight and the townie comes out victorious. Or maybe they fight off the intruder but saw their face so they can say next day "hey, I was attacked by Silkku last night!"
    Like I said, could be a number of different abilities and the same effect could be from a several amount of abilities which in turn are from several amount of roles. A role I've been thinking of that might be way to powerful though is Chuck Norris. Another perhaps not as overpowered, but might still be powerful would be Steven Hawking. Creating roles and abilities isn't really hard and one can go on forever thinking up new roles and abilities.

I like the resurrect idea as well, like one random dead player, could be town, could be scum so 5% chance becomes even less as you could potentially help the scum. Not sure how it would be worked in though as if a scum was brought back, the town would know to kill em again and likewise for a townie. Also, the access to the dead thread would be an issue as well. So maybe not resurrection, but maybe a chance to have their vote count as two the next day? /shrug, a lot of ideas can be thought up :3
    Yea, resurrection has some flaws. The way you write about it though brings me to believe that you might enjoy another thing I had considered. I won't write more as the success of it depends a bit on no one knowing the details of it (and only those playing will know). (Obvious cliffhanger warning! ).

Quote Originally Posted by NightFury Treann View Post
    [IMG]

Perhaps I should do it a few more times and you can build a house out of them

Game 20 ended. At the end there was some discussion on the topic of playing for/against your own goals. Some gave up, then came back, someone else gave, then the first gave up again. And there were a few thing that annoyed both me and others. Looking at the last night. Game might still have turned Dyra's way had she decided to kill Eniah or Silkku instead of committing suicide if there hadn't been a role claim earlier. Had Silkku decided to kill Dyra instead, the town could have won by voting him out. It may seem unlikely, but then people sometimes to unlikely things. They get a hunch of something and decide to do something different and the game turns around. The thought behind is that it makes the game (at least from my p.o.v.) end in a bit of anti-climax.

On the other hand, to quote someone from the dead thread:
    "it's their own fault if they don't realize they still have a chance"

Is it a problem? Should it be forbidden to role claim a scum role? Should it be forbidden to vote yourself? Should it just be clearly stated that you should always play towards your factions goal? What should be the action if such a rule is not followed? Should nothing be done?

Other things that came up is the VT activity. Personally I think it has improved a bit to what it has been, but it can also improve. There has been some suggestions and this game introduced a flaw - Blood Thirst - for VTs to "force" a lynch and make people more active. Its success could be discussed. There was a lot of thoughts in the game about the effects to meta-game. As the game progressed there was less focus in the thread about it. I do not think it was a failure to introduce the BT, but I think it could have been said before hand so that people knew about it and could do the meta-talk outside the game. For future games, I think that one BT might be enough as well, but that it should still target only town aligned players. Do you have your own idea of things that might increase activity? I have an option that I will post later in the thread.

Another thing mentioned in the dead thread that touches the same subject (of lynching) would be to have the one with the highest number of votes lynched if no one reaches a majority of votes. What do you think of this? What do you think are the advantages and drawbacks? Should there be a minimum amount of votes or is one vote sufficient?

It has to be asked - would you have NKed yourself after a Silkku lynch, Dyra? That's the only way I would have believed your "I just don't want the SK to win" stuff, otherwise, it was just a strategy to get the town to vote for him - the same strategy he used on you in the end.

To that I say WP mafia WP SK.
    Win and live. Lose and die.
    Rule of life. No change rule.
    Running worse than losing.
    Random casual stuff now

The last bit: What if there were two people with an equal number of votes? I can see that being possibly abused. The town lately has rarely been focusing on anyone on day one or two and the mafia could kinda influence voting just enough to where someone they want dead at the end would be lynched.

And we lost, boooooooooooooooooo

TBH the idea of suiciding didn't occur to me until after they decided to go for the No-Lynch. So yes I would have won myself the game if Silkku had been lynched.

Silkku himself can confirm that I really didn't want the SK to win after I mistakenly PMed him my plans. More than a little humiliated on that front on how I got suckered in.

BTW I really couldn't have killed Silkku. His vest was still intact. And with his kill going first I would have only 1 night to get it done. It would have been 1 v 1 v 1 going into the final day and Silkku would definitely kill me that second night to guarantee himself the win.

I agree with you that having 2 BT VTs was maybe a little too much. It definitely encouraged us (Scum) to lurk since if we had nothing to fear from the lynch then we sure as hell didn't want one going off. Just the 1 BT VT would give incentive for activity to try to hit Scum to avoid definitely losing a Town.

I still think we should maintain a majority lynch. It would be a bit ridiculous on the first day if the lynch results was something like 3-2-2-1-1-1-1 sort of thing. And the presence of a BT VT should deter that sort lynch result anyway.

As for the voting on one's self and Scum role claiming..... well. I'm guilty of both this game so I can't really say.
    Last edited by Dyra; 2012-11-20 at 07:52 PM.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

I don't think voting yourself should be disallowed. Sure you can argue "they're not playing to win" especially if they're one vote from death anyways, but sometimes(and this is rare) you can use it to deter votes if you're near death. As for mafia/sk or anyone with nk's suiciding, that's not allowed, or wasn't when I was mod. I remember one game I think it was Firebert was on one team and someone else(can't remember who now, maybe Anakso?) was on the other and they figured they stood no chance to beat the town and wanted to kill themselves. I told em they couldn't do that so they killed each other instead lol

I'm happy with the way this game ended. Voting no lynch was the only play the town had, even if it guaranteed a SK win. It was possible Silkku wouldn't have known who the mafia was, or that he would have made a mistake and hit town, but again, Dyra ruined both of those possibilities with the role claim and all =p
    Random casual stuff now

To sum up my thoughts:
    There should be only one BT and they should only activate if town doesn't agree on anything at the end of the night so on a majority no-lynch vote BT wouldn't activate

Actively playing against one's victory conditions shouldn't be allowed

Suicide should not be option (self voting allowed)

Umm...yea, that was pretty much all. From the Cop/Doc/Mafia/Dead I've gathered that people don't seem to like VT role for some reason. I don't actually quite understand why though. It gives you free hands and makes you "one of the many", it's not like it's some punishment and means you should go AFK.

Oh, and Dead thread, Dyra's decisions in thegame turned out like they did because I did some skulduggery with PM's and left misleading posts on purpose for the NoCooky account, it wasn't Dyra making odd decisions :S

Quote Originally Posted by Silkku View Post
    Actively playing against one's victory conditions shouldn't be allowed

Suicide should not be option (self voting allowed)
    I agree on both points, with a bit of a caveat. If someone gets duped (or dupes them-self) into unknowingly acting against their win condition they shouldn't be stopped. Otherwise anytime the town voted to lynch a townie we'd have to step in and stop it. That's just silly.

I sort of still feel like self voting shouldn't be allowed either. Imo you agreed to play the game, so play. Killing yourself is lame.

Quote Originally Posted by keleb View Post
    Is it a problem? Should it be forbidden to role claim a scum role? Should it be forbidden to vote yourself? Should it just be clearly stated that you should always play towards your factions goal? What should be the action if such a rule is not followed? Should nothing be done?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    As for the voting on one's self and Scum role claiming..... well. I'm guilty of both this game so I can't really say.
    I don't think voting yourself should be disallowed. Sure you can argue "they're not playing to win" especially if they're one vote from death anyways, but sometimes(and this is rare) you can use it to deter votes if you're near death. As for mafia/sk or anyone with nk's suiciding, that's not allowed, or wasn't when I was mod. I remember one game I think it was Firebert was on one team and someone else(can't remember who now, maybe Anakso?) was on the other and they figured they stood no chance to beat the town and wanted to kill themselves. I told em they couldn't do that so they killed each other instead lol
    "#Got99ProblemsAndTreannAintOne" ~ElyPop

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I agree on both points, with a bit of a caveat. If someone gets duped (or dupes them-self) into unknowingly acting against their win condition they shouldn't be stopped. Otherwise anytime the town voted to lynch a townie we'd have to step in and stop it. That's just silly.

I sort of still feel like self voting shouldn't be allowed either. Imo you agreed to play the game, so play. Killing yourself is lame.
    Yeah of course it would be silly to stop people if they are doing it out of getting tricked (Like I did for Dyra this game). Heck, even Eniah trying to make Mafia win could be treated as legal action
    (although I'd prefer if people would try to trick others in turn instead of just going "I lost". Kisuro and Eniah could have tried to manipulate me into NKing Dyra for example)
    but as an example out of this game, Dyra actively thinking how to get Town into a better position would be disallowed

Everyone keeps saying that they "think people hate playing as a VT" and that is the reason activity has gone down (though I really question how much the activity has gone down), but at the same time I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone actually say they don't like being a VT. I think most have agreed that they enjoy the game just the same.

This all seems like some sort of projecting trying to come up with a reason others aren't as active in these games, but if you actually look at forum activity for many of these people you'll see their posting is down across the board. It's what happens when people get busier in real life or move on to other things.

I still propose we go back to a more normal game. Hell, this games setup would be fine if we hadn't had the BT VT's or a cannibal with a vest.

Just think of how interesting the end of this game could have been had it been Eniah, Kisuro, Dyra, and Silkku facing off (without a vest) at the end of it. Silkku would've had to have taken a risk that Dyra wouldn't kill him in order to guarantee a win. Dyra would've had to figure out who the SK was and then go for the night kill while also hoping she wasn't the SK's night kill target...and then even if she got her kill off she would have had to convince one of the townies to vote with her on that last day. The townies would have both had to hope they survived that night and then figure out who to vote for on the last day.

It could have been a fun last day and a half if it wasn't for the vest. It could've been a fun entire game if it wasn't for people focusing so much on BT VT's and letting that dominate the beginning of the game.

Give me simplicity.

---------- Post added 2012-11-20 at 02:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post

I disagree on self voting to a point. There are times where it is advantageous to your team. Those times are when you want to limit the daytime discussion so that other members of your team can't be linked to you before night. It then makes it so you can night kill a person that you would think would put 2 and 2 together and thus make it so they never get a chance to tell everyone else.

I agree that the SK being NK immune is too much power to also be a cannibal. Especially if you're going to rule a 1v1 during the day a scum win. Winning as SK should be really difficult, but with a vest and priority NKing he just has to keep a mafia alive and get the game down to ~5 players and he can't possibly lose unless people just get mad at him and lynch him because they prefer a mafia win. Silkku played well but I wonder if this set up was perhaps too easy for him, not to take away any credit.
    Random casual stuff now

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    I agree that the SK being NK immune is too much power to also be a cannibal. Especially if you're going to rule a 1v1 during the day a scum win. Winning as SK should be really difficult, but with a vest and priority NKing he just has to keep a mafia alive and get the game down to ~5 players and he can't possibly lose unless people just get mad at him and lynch him because they prefer a mafia win. Silkku played well but I wonder if this set up was perhaps too easy for him, not to take away any credit.
    Assuming people realize who the sk is, which isn't always the case. And it is really hard to win as an SK as it is. You have to go against everyone. Also, he was only "immune" to being night killed at the end because there was only one night phase left in the game and until that point no one had targeted him because he did a great job of playing and not rousing the mafia's suspicions.

Mafia were too busy killing the most active players =p

SKs always do really well, they pretty much only ever die if the mafia happen to hit them with a night kill. On the anonymous forum I was aiming for the SK every single night and I think it took me like 5 tries to finally get him. If he had a bulletproof vest he probably would've won that game.
    Random casual stuff now

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Mafia were too busy killing the most active players =p

SKs always do really well, they pretty much only ever die if the mafia happen to hit them with a night kill. On the anonymous forum I was aiming for the SK every single night and I think it took me like 5 tries to finally get him. If he had a bulletproof vest he probably would've won that game.
    And by mafia you mean Ana and Dyra. Right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastreus View Post
    HARDCORE TAILORING!!!! LISTEN TO METAL AND GRIT YOUR TEETH WHILE YOU THREAD THAT FUCKING NEEDLE! GOD DAMN, MAN! SEW THAT SHIT! FUCK!!! SEW IT HARDER HOLY SHIT! EPIIICCC!!!!!!
    More or less favorite songs now: Error + Eternity + Voodoo Doll (NSFW) + G.R.8.U

I can't really say I find the v est OP or anything on SK since the odds are stacked against you from the very start (others have team to fall back on) and not getting told when the vest is consumed really balances it even more. Themissing NK on Worg forced me to play with the assumption that my vest was popped and drove me to start the misdirection PM campaign (you can follow my panic posts in SK thread)
    There is also the little thing that often when NK fails for the scum, they will target the person again.

So if you ask me, I'd leave the vest rule as it is.

Also, who here play on mafia scum or similiar forums? I really only know this place, MS and a Finnish Pokemon forum where people play online

On the topic of the cannibal with the vest: Foxxi and I discovered if we gave only one type of sk(strongman) a vest, no one would ever choose anything else. We then removed the vest and all sk's had no vests just perks. Everyone started choosing ninja then b/c we had a jail immunity on it. We removed that and that's when other types started getting used. In other words, you either have to give all types a vest or no types a vest and make sure there aren't any op immunities as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Silkku View Post
    To sum up my thoughts:
    There should be only one BT and they should only activate if town doesn't agree on anything at the end of the night so on a majority no-lynch vote BT wouldn't activate
    Yea, I should have thought of that beforehand. Saw that when I first read it in the thread but thought it to late to change it then.

If I'm playing, it's kinda obvious you can't discuss all the intricacies of the next game with me, but I do have a wealth of knowledge from modding a lot of games that I can share with you mods if needed :P