Poll: The Shield VS The Wire

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Wire

.....u gotta watch it. It carries the same characters throughout the series while focusing on different 'aspect' of Baltimore crime in each different season (street lvl drugs/the docks/building contracts/city council). What watching The Wire will also do is turn you on to the genius that is David Simon. He had a really good show in the 90s called Homicide: Life on the Street. The only versions i can find are shitty VHS quality, but it's also still a good watch. Fast forward to now.....David Simon has a newer show, also on HBO, called 'Treme'. It's a fantastic show about post-Katrina New Orleans with some of the same familiar cast members from The Wire. Basically David Simon finds awesome actors and uses them in almost everything he does. The results are amazing television every single time.

The Wire

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    The Wire for sure, HBO just does an above and beyond job on their series'. The character development is quite amazing and the whole show is realistic apparently. There are so many great characters and probably the best one in TV history, Omar Little. Every actor in that show did a really good job imo. The only thing that bothered me was that season 5 was only 10 episodes. I feel like it should have been 13 or even a whole 6th season. But I guess that's just the part of me that doesn't want a series to be over because it's that good. I've always wondered how these great TV shows can have amazing actors who play great roles but just for 1 series. None of them really did much more other than The Wire. Nothing big anyways.
    That's because HBO hires actors and not just celebrities. It also helps that the writing for most HBO series blows away anything on network TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    My favourite scene was when Omar and Brother Mouzone were having that standoff in the alley, amazing work by both guys.
    That scene is amazing. That episode is probably my favorite of the entire series. Starts with the Omar / Mouzone standoff and ends with the scene with Avon and Stringer looking out over the marina and talking about the good old days. Everyone who has seen the Wire should go back and watch the Avon/Stringer scene. It is just so incredibly well acted and there is so much going on underneath the dialog, especially knowing what is going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    The Wire

.....u gotta watch it. It carries the same characters throughout the series while focusing on different 'aspect' of Baltimore crime in each different season (street lvl drugs/the docks/building contracts/city council). What watching The Wire will also do is turn you on to the genius that is David Simon. He had a really good show in the 90s called Homicide: Life on the Street. The only versions i can find are shitty VHS quality, but it's also still a good watch. Fast forward to now.....David Simon has a newer show, also on HBO, called 'Treme'. It's a fantastic show about post-Katrina New Orleans with some of the same familiar cast members from The Wire. Basically David Simon finds awesome actors and uses them in almost everything he does. The results are amazing television every single time.

The Wire
    He also wrote the really great miniseries Generation Kill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Everyone who has seen the Wire should go back and watch the Avon/Stringer scene. It is just so incredibly well acted and there is so much going on underneath the dialog, especially knowing what is going to happen.
    that scene always bugged me, for the same reason parts of that season bugged me Stringer went from being a pretty savvy guy to just being an idiot, he did nothing but screw up the whole season, and was oblivious to everything around him, including the most transparent subtext imaginable coming from his best friend

David Simon adapted Generation Kill, credit for writing it has to go to the Rolling Stones guy who actually went there and experienced it all

Man, what a question. I absolutely LOVED The Wire and I do think it is damn near the best series ever produced. I am also in the process of watching The Shield at the moment, middle of season 3. I myself am inclined to prefer The Shield over The Wire, even knowing The Wire is better. I know it sounds weird. The Wire was pretty in depth as far emotions and whatnot and it was fantastic, but I myself prefer The Shield's rough and tumble "In your face" mentality if that makes sense to anyone. The Shield is kind of like Breaking Bad to me in the sense that you know what Vic and Walt is doing is very illegal and morally wrong, yet you route for them anyway to come out on top. The Wire for me was all about "Go catch those SOB scumbags", I wanted good to prevail in that series. For me it's just too fun watching some smart ass drug dealer or other criminal get an ass beating they deserve from Vic. Yea that's how I feel.
    Last edited by Deviat; 2012-09-15 at 01:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    that scene always bugged me, for the same reason parts of that season bugged me Stringer went from being a pretty savvy guy to just being an idiot, he did nothing but screw up the whole season, and was oblivious to everything around him, including the most transparent subtext imaginable coming from his best friend

David Simon adapted Generation Kill, credit for writing it has to go to the Rolling Stones guy who actually went there and experienced it all
    I think that was sort of the point though. In the context of the streets, String was a very intelligent, very savvy guy...but in the context of politicians, especially ones like Clay Davis, he wasn't. He was just another chump. I think Avon said it best: that he was not tough enough for the street, not smart enough off it (or something similar).

I will admit I haven't watch the Wire (judging by some of the posts though, I may have to pick it up) - the Shield is amazing though, there moments in that show in which you will be out of your seat in suspense... there are points in time with the Shield even when the action is slow, but when it comes in, it really delivers... the show goes to some *really* dark places and there are some scenes where the acting is so powerful that you will want to cry.
    Last edited by RickJamesLich; 2012-09-15 at 01:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    more blackness, OP, do not click it until you watch the show lol

but it was the lack of street smarts that was his downfall, he broke the Sunday truce and he unwisely pitted two men against each other, he did things that undermined the loyalty of those around him. I thought his failings at breaking out of the drug trade into legitimate business was a good story and fit with his character, but his bungling of the street side of things seemed more uncharacteristic, it just seemed to happen suddenly, he had been hyped as a worthy adversary and then he can't keep his shit together anymore, I guess I just felt cheated by the way he went down, like McNulty, I guess sometimes the big bad guy you had your eyes set on is just another schmo

things are vague enough if you accidentally click, but don't! don't do it, new viewers!

Deleted
    Many people say the Wire is the best TV series ever made. They are quite right, of course. It suckers you in with a vivid and unusual apparent realism, but as the five season grand story arc plays out, what you come to appreciate is how theatrical and positively Dickensian it is. Each season slowly but remorsely builds up to a tragic season end but you care because of the characters, who have a larger than life, almost lovable, quality about them. The story of Stringer Bell in Season 3 bears that out. In season 1, he's a Iago like figure, behind the scenes, charming, manipulating and lethal. Dramatically, his vulnerabilities in Season 3 give him a more human, tragic side. The gangster with the "Wealth of Nations" on his bookshelf would not be nearly as engaging a figure if he was infallible.

Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    Many people say the Wire is the best TV series ever made. They are quite right, of course. It suckers you in with a vivid and unusual apparent realism, but as the five season grand story arc plays out, what you come to appreciate is how theatrical and positively Dickensian it is. Each season slowly but remorsely builds up to a tragic season end but you care because of the characters, who have a larger than life, almost lovable, quality about them. The story of Stringer Bell in Season 3 bears that out. In season 1, he's a Iago like figure, behind the scenes, charming, manipulating and lethal. Dramatically, his vulnerabilities in Season 3 give him a more human, tragic side. The gangster with the "Wealth of Nations" on his bookshelf would not be nearly as engaging a figure if he was infallible.
    Gotta love that Dickensian aspect.

10+ Year Old Account
    nobody is having spoiler riddled discussions about The Shield

I'm just sayin'!

I think, some of the spoilers of The Shield are so spoilery, that to risk exposing them to those who haven't seen it would be, without being hyperbolic, tantamount to some very heinous crime

Quote Originally Posted by kaze950 View Post
    I think, some of the spoilers of The Shield are so spoilery, that to risk exposing them to those who haven't seen it would be, without being hyperbolic, tantamount to some very heinous crime
    This! 10 chars

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    That's because HBO hires actors and not just celebrities. It also helps that the writing for most HBO series blows away anything on network TV.
    Yeah, pretty much! The only networks I feel are really worth my time are HBO, Showtime, AMC, FX and Starz (They have BOSS!!!!) Everything else is just pure garbage. Every other channel you turn to on regular television its either reality TV or some singing/dancing show... /barf.

Anyway I broke down last night and watched the first two episodes of The Shield. I'm itching to find out what happens next now LOL! But seeing as everyone is voting for the The Wire I guess that Is where I will start tonight. I'm also glad to know that although both shows are police dramas they both have very different stories than most of the other lame cop dramas out there.

I now know that both shows will be able to keep my attention while the new seasons of Boardwalk, Dexter and Homeland are on Thanks for all the input everyone and thank you for blacking out the spoilers!
    Last edited by Fitzgerald77; 2012-09-15 at 07:06 AM.
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

15+ Year Old Account
    I've watched through The Wire twice, and I'm sure I'll do it again. It's amazing. When I got to the end the first time, my first thought was that I wished I could erase my memory of it so that I could have that experience again, but it absolutely stood up to a second watching, and I imagine I'll watch it again sometime. It's nuanced, multifaceted, believable, emotional, amusing, intense storytelling. Real characters on all sides. Real art, in my opinion. And Omar Little.

The Shield I gave a shot because I'd read it was in the same vein as The Wire, but I only got a few episodes in before losing interest (I remember the raid and that one new guy, don't remember if I went much past that). Based on some of the responses to Ordrek, I suppose I should watch some more, but I just wasn't really feeling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzgerald77 View Post
    Everything else is just pure garbage. Every other channel you turn to on regular television its either reality TV or some singing/dancing show... /barf.
    or cooking shows or shows about people doing something in alaska

While I haven't watched The Shield. I've watched The Wire several times and after watching an Episode of 'American Gangster' - the series, knowing it's based on a true story made it more 'believable' and gripping...

Have to revive this thread. I just got done finishing Season 5, and WTF. Not gonna spoil anything but that damn ending made me get all emotional. The last 2 Seasons better be freakin fantastic because I've got some heartache.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    VIC MACKY !

GOOD COPS/BAD COPS BUT GET THE JOBS DONE AND AFTER 7 SEASON STILL THE BEST COPS SHOW NEXT TO NYPD BLUE

Greatest Vic Mackey Quotes (The Sheild)

AND THE ENDING WAS PERFECT !
    The Shield is DONE, FINITO, FIN, END, and all that jazz

2 Actor also made the appearance on one of my favorites show SOA
    Benito Martinez as Luis Torres *Mexican Cartel LT / CIA Informant*
    David Rees Snell as AFT Agent *But get kill by Jax*

SOA is the best show on FX !
    Last edited by WNYIRISHGUY; 2012-09-19 at 09:56 PM.

Fun little fact about the Wire: Prez is the only police officer who fires his gun in the entire series.
    Profanity is the inevitable linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother%$#@er.
    -
    Jamboro: 110 SPriest, Jamb: 110 Blood DK, Jambori: 110 Prot. Warrior,Jambro: 110 Frost Mage, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jamlol View Post
    Fun little fact about the Wire: Prez is the only police officer who fires his gun in the entire series.
    And he discharges it by accident into a wall lol.