How ESSENTIAL are professions in PvP?

Hello, currently I am leveling a warrior (67 atm) for Mists of Pandaria. Having to buy all of the various flying skills has left me short on gold, and this would directly impact how fast I would be leveling my professions. I plan on primarily PvPing at the start of the expansion casually, with more serious 2k+ coming later after classes are balanced a bit more at 90.

With that said I do plan on leveling the professions at some point. However with the release of the expansion, and the Battle for Theramore on the horizon I would like to enjoy the content instead of mindlessly leveling a rather boring portion of the game being professions. This leaves me asking are the professions essential to the point where I would be able to see an increase in damage after maxing X professions, or are they more subtle to the point of simply having matching stats/procs with the competition? Thank you!

15+ Year Old Account
    At level 85, how essential is 160 of your primary stat plus whatever other perks like free leg enchants or rocket boots or parachutes or flasks that are usable in RBG/Arenas to you? Nothing is essential if your a casual who doesn't care about min/maxxing, but if you want to do the best you are capable of - then they're essential.

That all said, I wouldn't worry about it until max level.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Engineering is so fun in BG's. Incapacitating bombs, rocket boost etc can be a gamechanger. I like it when im on my rogue and sprint is on CD and I need to get away. ROCKET BOOST WHHEEE

I don't know how many hours you play per day, but with 11 days to go I don't find it unrealistic that you can max out 2 professions before MOP hits. Sure it'll be kind of boring to grind all the mats required if you go for a crafting+gathering combo, but it can be done. As for how essential... you'll live, but you will be slightly weaker than someone who does have professions obviously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Same as for PvE. It's only a minor stat boost and is only required if you want to min-max.

None are ESSENTIAL. Sure, they have their uses, but none of them are absolutely essential. That's just something some people invented to make themselves feel more superior than others. They aren't of course, but the illusion is nice for them.
    A true Patriot fights for their country, not for their government.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    Same as for PvE. It's only a minor stat boost and is only required if you want to min-max.
    I'd say professions are stronger for competitive raiding than for rated PvP just because in rated PvP most benefits of professions are shut off (specifically engineering) whereas they're all still available in raids.

Personally, I don't think professions have a major effect on your play unless you're doing random bgs. Then go engineering and kick some extra ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Imagine wearing one piece of the previous season's gear when everything else on both teams is BiS. Is that going to make you lose games? Probably not. It would no question be better to have, but really isn't necessary unless you're very high rated. Better strategies and making fewer mistakes will have a much larger impact on your rating. You said you intend to do it eventually, so just make sure you actually do at some point.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not a big deal. BS JC for the best setup, but Mining BS is really easy. I think BS still only requires you to get it to 400 for the socket ability, which will let you have 2 more pvp power gems.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

I recommend being an herbalist, and preferably an herbalist miner, when you level. You can always change later, but between those two you should pick up a ton of gold on your way, and get some perks that help in pvp (a haste buff that stacks with everything, some extra health).

For Bgs I'd call Engineering essential, the utility it brings is just priceless. Not to mention as a Ret it was my 3m Gap Closer.

I'd say that either Tailor or Herbalism (As both provide burst potential) would be best as a second profession.

Alternatively you could go JC/BS and load up on extra PvP Power Gems + the JC PvP power gems.

Really upto you, but Engineering is just so good.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    I'd say professions are stronger for competitive raiding than for rated PvP just because in rated PvP most benefits of professions are shut off (specifically engineering) whereas they're all still available in raids.

Personally, I don't think professions have a major effect on your play unless you're doing random bgs. Then go engineering and kick some extra ass.
    you mean just engineering, right?
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.