Page 1 of 5
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Warchief WarpedAcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    2,141

    Trooper Storyline: Why I think some people hate it

    The one thing I have to praise Bioware for is their diversity in the storylines. Not all storylines evolve the same, and not all follow the same formula. Some are more independant, some are more aggressive, some are more diplomatic, ect...

    The Trooper and Imperial Agent are the only 2 storylines that are tied directly with the military. The IA is the Intelligence side of things and experiences a lot more freedom from military protocols based on the nature of their work. This makes them more rogue-ish, which is appealing to a lot of people. The Trooper is the special forces side, and as such has to observe much stricter military codes. I think that is where a lot of the distaste for the Trooper storyline comes from, specifically the high amount of heel clicking, saluting, and "yessirs". Unfortunately that's also the structure for the Trooper storyline.

    Personally I am enjoying it thus far. I haven't completed Chapter 1, but the storyline itself seems strong enough that I am invested. Unfortunately I believe they current arc will end in Chapter 1, so I can't comment on whether the bridge to Chapter 2 will be as compelling.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    Personally I am enjoying it thus far. I haven't completed Chapter 1, but the storyline itself seems strong enough that I am invested. Unfortunately I believe they current arc will end in Chapter 1, so I can't comment on whether the bridge to Chapter 2 will be as compelling.
    Chapter 1 and 2 for trooper are great!

    Just wait till you get to the most uncompelling, single dimension adversary named "general rakton". He will make the last 10 levels make you wish the game stopped at level 40.

    Its literally like

    "This guy... Is a bad guy! Stop him!"

    You don't really see much of him. You don't get his motivation very much. Hes just like... Some guy. Who you have to stop.

    When he does explain his motivation its like "the republic is lame and full of opulence." That's not compelling. have it be something like "When I was a child my family starved to death while the republic garrison ate 3 square meals a day and the senator for my planet built a statue of himself. Only greed and inefficiency would allow my youngest sister to starve to death." or something. MAKE ME CARE ABOUT WHAT I AM DOING.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2012-09-14 at 01:19 PM.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Zephyr - Boltor Prime - Lex Prime - Dakra Prime - Hunter -
    Lv40 (Firefall) All Battleframes
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  3. #3
    Don't comment on it until you've finished it, really. The heel-clicking and saluting is great, Chapter 1 is great. Chapter 2 is okay. Chapter 3 is shit. 3 is the reason why people hate the Trooper storyline, despite how well-done the first chapter is.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

  4. #4
    Warchief WarpedAcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    2,141
    Well...that's unmotivating. =/

    Still though, if I can muscle through the BH storyline then surely I can make it through Chapter 3. I will have to report back when I'm there.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Don't comment on it until you've finished it, really. The heel-clicking and saluting is great, Chapter 1 is great. Chapter 2 is okay. Chapter 3 is shit. 3 is the reason why people hate the Trooper storyline, despite how well-done the first chapter is.
    In retrospect, I think that swtor would have been better off if they had only released chapters 1 and 2, had EV be level 40. Then 6 months into the game, launched chapter 3 and KP. Then, around December launched makeb and chapter 4 (along with the level cap increase)
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Zephyr - Boltor Prime - Lex Prime - Dakra Prime - Hunter -
    Lv40 (Firefall) All Battleframes
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    In retrospect, I think that swtor would have been better off if they had only released chapters 1 and 2, had EV be level 40. Then 6 months into the game, launched chapter 3 and KP. Then, around December launched makeb and chapter 4 (along with the level cap increase)
    Well I always assumed that they made it 3 chapters because that's how stories are usually designed, with 3 main chapters. But that theory goes out the window when you realize they have a chapter 4 coming out.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Don't comment on it until you've finished it, really. The heel-clicking and saluting is great, Chapter 1 is great. Chapter 2 is okay. Chapter 3 is shit. 3 is the reason why people hate the Trooper storyline, despite how well-done the first chapter is.
    Yea I have to agree here. I loved chapter 1, and honestly I did enjoy chapter 2 and 3... until I got to the end of it. I had this delusion that they were building to this big epic thing, and then when I got to it I had a huge sense of "oh... that's all??". Might be my own fault for setting my expectations so high, but yea I was really disappointed in the end.

    What was particularly funny was I leveled my JK with a Trooper and a JC, and got to see their stories with them. For most of the game (even though I did like my story a lot) I felt that the JK story was lackluster compared to the other two. Until the end of chapter 2. After that suddenly my story was the one that we were all like "Woah that is awesome about".

  8. #8
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    14,209
    I find the Trooper story to be more fun if you are always picking the smart ass cocky answers. You feel like the token action movie hero, like Arnold in Predator. I made mine a ginger amazon(type 3) chick and it's awesome telling off all the military dbags.

    Stories can be what you make them, though I agree that is one of the more limiting stories. It's probably why people criticize the 'choice' aspect as not having a real effect on the game. Understandable, but only so much you can do with current technology and they already spent so much money/time in the process.

  9. #9
    Field Marshal Cathaia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    97
    Once you get into the Military drill, I find Trooper quite enjoyable. The whole "yes, sir!" attitude is so far from my real self that playing like it makes it fun for me, in a weird twisted way. My Trooper (Vanguard) is also the only Republic char I plan on keeping after finishing the story, just because I really grew fond of him.
    Still not getting any younger!

  10. #10
    Legendary! Korgoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Barbaria
    Posts
    6,636
    I liked it. When the game goes F2P I even plan to play through it again.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

  11. #11
    Warchief WarpedAcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    2,141
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I find the Trooper story to be more fun if you are always picking the smart ass cocky answers. You feel like the token action movie hero, like Arnold in Predator. I made mine a ginger amazon(type 3) chick and it's awesome telling off all the military dbags.

    Stories can be what you make them, though I agree that is one of the more limiting stories. It's probably why people criticize the 'choice' aspect as not having a real effect on the game. Understandable, but only so much you can do with current technology and they already spent so much money/time in the process.

    I hear you. I don't go for the smart ass remarks though, but I've enjoyed going against what General Garza asked "because its the right thing to do". Garza starts talking about how the right thing isn't the same thing as orders and I just stand my ground.

    I also enjoyed flirting with the SIS agent on Nar Shaddaa and watching Aric have a caniption (or cat-niption ^_^ ). It was the most natural I've seen the character act, and that made me really enjoy the exchange.

  12. #12
    The first chapter of trooper is well done ? :| Yikes...

    I've seen the first act of 5 other classes and consider trooper the dullest by far!

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorkle View Post
    The first chapter of trooper is well done ? :| Yikes...

    I've seen the first act of 5 other classes and consider trooper the dullest by far!
    Once you reach chapter 3 you'll look back on chapter 1 fondly as well.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Zephyr - Boltor Prime - Lex Prime - Dakra Prime - Hunter -
    Lv40 (Firefall) All Battleframes
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  14. #14
    I didn't mind it so much, I know my wife hated it though. It got a little redundant though where it was basically Dark side for following order and light side for breaking them.

  15. #15
    have you guys never watched a awesome action flick where the hero has to wage war through and entire city just to get to that ONE dude at the end and beat the shit outta him and go home to his medals.

    ALL those movies are exactly how the trooper ending is. i LOVED it running through corillia destroying imp after imp. taking down the mid level officers and goons just to get to Rakton and totally F*** him up and be presented to the top chick and get my accolades.

    chapter 3 was all about marshaling your forces, getting them together and getting in there blowing things up blaster bolts flying nades all over the place. thats what i remember bout the trooper story and its why i played through it twice. for me it was chapter 1 and 3 that really set the military tone. chap2 was ok, hey guys go blow up this super weapon easy peasy style, THAT was a disappointment for me.

    making my way through bodies droids and sith getting bloodied and dieing cuz i was the UBER TROOPAH this is what i loved most bout chapter 3. and when you really REALLLLY think about it all those badguys in those awesome action movies they all had the same delusions (well not all Dark Knight was FUCKING AWESOME in regards to villain back to topic) i want to rule the world/galaxy or im gonna take over the government cuz they are all corrupt and i can do better or the best ones...
    I just wanna kill and destroy. thats what rakton was. he was a military genius who brought the repub to its KNEES and it was up to HAVOC SQUAD to take him down cuz only THEY could do it.


    thats my take on chapter 3 but hey we all have opinions right

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    have you guys never watched a awesome action flick where the hero has to wage war through and entire city just to get to that ONE dude at the end and beat the shit outta him and go home to his medals.

    ALL those movies are exactly how the trooper ending is. i LOVED it running through corillia destroying imp after imp. taking down the mid level officers and goons just to get to Rakton and totally F*** him up and be presented to the top chick and get my accolades.

    chapter 3 was all about marshaling your forces, getting them together and getting in there blowing things up blaster bolts flying nades all over the place. thats what i remember bout the trooper story and its why i played through it twice. for me it was chapter 1 and 3 that really set the military tone. chap2 was ok, hey guys go blow up this super weapon easy peasy style, THAT was a disappointment for me.

    making my way through bodies droids and sith getting bloodied and dieing cuz i was the UBER TROOPAH this is what i loved most bout chapter 3. and when you really REALLLLY think about it all those badguys in those awesome action movies they all had the same delusions (well not all Dark Knight was FUCKING AWESOME in regards to villain back to topic) i want to rule the world/galaxy or im gonna take over the government cuz they are all corrupt and i can do better or the best ones...
    I just wanna kill and destroy. thats what rakton was. he was a military genius who brought the repub to its KNEES and it was up to HAVOC SQUAD to take him down cuz only THEY could do it.


    thats my take on chapter 3 but hey we all have opinions right

    I totally get where you are coming from...

    But!

    In those movies, the villain is usually reviled for a personal reason by the protagonist. He either killed the heroes wife, betrayed him after years of friendship, or has the upper hand for almost the entire time and uses his power to bring the hero down to his lowest point.

    With rakton we have none of that. He starts out as some general who does "bad things" and you constantly thwart him. You almost end up rooting for him at times because you are being such a douche about beating him. And its not like hes been foreshadowed earlier in the plot. So its not like a "finally, we meet at last" moment. Its like, hey, chapter + bad guy. There you go.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Zephyr - Boltor Prime - Lex Prime - Dakra Prime - Hunter -
    Lv40 (Firefall) All Battleframes
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  17. #17
    I'm going to agree on what most people said so far.

    I liked chapter 1. You have a goal, and everything makes sense. Your teammates make sense. Jorgan was good in his role. Dorne was okay. M1-4X was awesome. Overall Chapter 1 was very pleasing.

    Vague spoilers head if you haven't done chapter 2 or 3. Again vague, but it's a warning.


    Then came chapter 2. The goal wasn't quite as good. Your new teammates didn't really fit. Their purposes did, but they didn't feel part of the team. Vik seemed put in just for a token "not playing by the rules" character. Kinda forced. Yuun was just weird. I didn't like the end of chapter 2, and it didn't feel like your choice mattered much.

    I really lost motivation in chapter 3. I've done all the class stories, but BH and I'm in chapter 3 there. I'm almost always excited to see where the end takes me. With the Trooper it was just kinda .... whatever. It's just kinda here is this SUPER BAD GUY you've never seen before. He's really important. Meh? Chapter 3 was just poorly put together.

    I didn't mind the military stuff much. It felt like Mass Effect at times, and if it had felt more like ME it might have been better. Some stories really seem to lose focus after Chapter 1. Trooper and Smuggler would be at the top. I wouldn't compare the Agent. It stayed interesting throughout.

  18. #18
    I enjoyed the Trooper story for the most part. Chapter 3 was pretty good I thought. I really enjoyed the assault mission fighting my way in past the huge droids, but I did this at level 50 after gearing up a bit so the general went down like a chump.

  19. #19
    Trooper is middle of the pack for me, but that still means it is good. In fact even the worst of the eight stories is still good, imo. The only part I disliked about the trooper story is when it made me choose between saving Jaxxo and saving a few hundred randoms. That part made me feel awful.
    WoW having more subs than SWTOR is the same thing as Justin Bieber having more youtube plays than Tupac. Just because its more popular doesn't mean its good.
    Warcraft Lore has gone from one of the most vast and interesting stories in all of gaming to a bad Thrall Fanfic by Chris Metzen.
    SWTOR Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2MpjV9 7 free days and other free stuff.

  20. #20
    Everyone else has covered pretty much all my complaints with it. No attachment to the events or villains past chapter 1, the "assemble the team" bit is just boring, and as someone else mentioned, doesn't even fit. I mean, sure, MX makes sense and Dorne, and Yuun too as odd as he is sorta work, but Vic? Vic is supposed to be the republic's top explosives expert and so I "need" him on my team, despite his already being shown to be unreliable and untrustworthy(Seriously, Havok Squad just defected and is in the process of being rebuilt, so...you assign me a guy who went AWOL from his last assignment to do his own thing?), but...he's a sword wielding melee companion? And the only time we were shown his "expertise" in storyline, we see him pushing a button to launch a missile, AFTER I have already destroyed all the defenses that would stop it? Shit, *I* used more explosives recruiting him than he did(and I coulda pushed a button to launch a missile too, as could Dorne, or Aric I'm fairly certain), so why am I stuck with him again? He's only there to have a generic "screw the rules, I'm in it for me!" sort, not captivating in any way, we're not even shown a reason WHY we should put up with his dickish behavior.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •