Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    I liked it overall, didn't have a problem with the Evil Bad Guy, since he's the Enemy and I have a Big Gun For Killing Enemies, it made sense. Really it was the final set of decisions that felt lackluster to me. They also needed to tie the three acts together better, but that happens a lot.

  2. #22
    Some guildies and I took a different approach to the trooper storyline, we basicly rolled 4 troopers and we go through the questing areas as a squad RP style!

    Loads of fun

  3. #23
    I don't know, I got my trooper only to 18 so far and I hated the story at 1st

    At 1st you're some new guy who gets treated like a bitch (Don't consider that spoilers as you know that if you've played Trooper to even level 2)

    But after the events on the 1st planet I thought that was interesting and has been interesting

  4. #24
    High Overlord Thundermoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    165
    Chapter 3 is amazingly bad, it really, really is. I thought chapter 1 was quite good, chapter 2 decent, chapter 3 a joke that felt like something that only needed to be there to have 3 chapters. After the last class quest with combat in it, I was like "Is this it? Really? This is the conclusion to the story... Wtf."
    "We have decided to remove Rogues from the game, think of it as permanent stealth. Passive ability. Very iconic."

  5. #25
    Bloodsail Admiral Jaronicity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Land of Oz
    Posts
    1,230
    Chapter 1 I really enjoyed. Then it's enjoyment dropped off sharply for 2 and 3. Nearly finished the Warrior story and that has been really entertaining for me and will likely be my favourite when all is said and done....just can't bring myself to finish even chapter 1 in the Consular story. Just seems like the Inquisitor one but not on steroids.

  6. #26
    On the very first planet, you are coming in contact with the Havoc Squad... and following the story line, what did you expect you will have to do? You are the most elite squad in the entire Republic and you fight against any threat against it, that's basically what you are doing while playing the story line. I'm not sure how this qualifies for a bad story if the content was pretty clear from the very beginning as it was for the Sith Inquisitor, the Sith Warrior and the Bounthunter storyline. There are minor twists and tons of additional information but you are not Alice entering Wonderland.

    Taking this as a given... I think the stories are entertaining if you can identify yourself with your character.

  7. #27
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    A Galaxy Far Far Away
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    I totally get where you are coming from...

    But!

    In those movies, the villain is usually reviled for a personal reason by the protagonist. He either killed the heroes wife, betrayed him after years of friendship, or has the upper hand for almost the entire time and uses his power to bring the hero down to his lowest point.

    With rakton we have none of that. He starts out as some general who does "bad things" and you constantly thwart him. You almost end up rooting for him at times because you are being such a douche about beating him. And its not like hes been foreshadowed earlier in the plot. So its not like a "finally, we meet at last" moment. Its like, hey, chapter + bad guy. There you go.
    I can understand where you are coming from if you look at chapter 3 from that perspective, but if you look at it more objectively, as in General Rakton is more of a military objective like in some of the classic war movies then the story fits better. What doesn't fit real well is the chase over 2 of the last three planets. Belsavis, restoring order to a prison planet kinda fits but it still doesn't feel like a warzone, Voss is the worst of all and really pulls the Trooper story into snooze mode, but things really heat up on Corellia where you finally actually feel like you are in a war zone chasing down a target of vital importance to shutdown the Imperial war effort. Corellia is where chapter three felt right, kinda like Saving Private Ryan style war movie, but instead of saving some one you were hunting someone because you had orders, then slogging your way through a battlefield dealing with numerous challenges along the way to accomplish the mission, only to be gutted at the end due to politics.
    Last edited by Ghosty; 2012-09-19 at 02:27 PM.

  8. #28
    Pandaren Monk WarpedAcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    1,957
    I finished the Trooper Act 1 over the weekend and it was good. Based on the comments about Chapter 2 and 3 though, I have less faith in the class storyline. So for now I'm going to set SWTOR down and see if the story bug bites me over the next week or so.

    One awesome sidenote though, its pretty friggin awesome that Trooper is the only class where everyone uses the same gear/stats. It makes gearing companions so much easier! =)

  9. #29
    Banned Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    13,629
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    One awesome sidenote though, its pretty friggin awesome that Trooper is the only class where everyone uses the same gear/stats. It makes gearing companions so much easier! =)
    I can see how that works at max level, giving raid gear hand me downs...but leveling up you get so much extra junk and not enough of what you need that I would hate having needy children wanting my clothes!

  10. #30
    Pandaren Monk WarpedAcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    1,957
    I just took Cybertech and handed off my old scavenging/underworld metals from other alts to the Trooper and bought/crafted/looted enough customizable gear to really just upgrade what I want very easily. I thought it was pretty cool to find some heavy trooper armor gear I liked and equipped my whole unit to look like a team with the same uniform.

  11. #31
    Banned Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    13,629
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    I just took Cybertech and handed off my old scavenging/underworld metals from other alts to the Trooper and bought/crafted/looted enough customizable gear to really just upgrade what I want very easily. I thought it was pretty cool to find some heavy trooper armor gear I liked and equipped my whole unit to look like a team with the same uniform.
    I can't deny you that much. I love the inital blue and white trooper looking gear. I was using it on my BH to match the LS white speeder. Too cool.

  12. #32
    I actually don't like Voss at all, I'm always trying to only finish my class story but I think I don't give this planet the credit it deserves. The story there was blunt but at least it keeps you going. What I like is that, focusing only on the class quests you can do it in very little time which might or might not reduce the dissapproval for this act for some people.



    I found myself equip my trooper with a Jedi Chest piece looking similar to this



    Adding the pvp title Centurion and I kinda feel like in Warhammer

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychlon View Post
    On the very first planet, you are coming in contact with the Havoc Squad... and following the story line, what did you expect you will have to do? You are the most elite squad in the entire Republic and you fight against any threat against it, that's basically what you are doing while playing the story line. I'm not sure how this qualifies for a bad story if the content was pretty clear from the very beginning as it was for the Sith Inquisitor, the Sith Warrior and the Bounthunter storyline. There are minor twists and tons of additional information but you are not Alice entering Wonderland.
    Yet they put you in charge of the "most elite" force in the republic, and don't let you pick your own team, don't let people try out for it, they just say "here go get these dudes" and you're stuck with them, despite the fact that one of them totally doesn't fit nor does he seem especially competent. Other NPCs actually seem more useful than some of the squad members you are given. Additionally, they don't actually make the enemy seem especially dangerous, our work doesn't really seem like something that the average grunts couldn't do, and there's no personal investment in seeing the enemy defeated, at least after chapter 1, which is NOT the case with the other 3 classes you mentioned.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Yet they put you in charge of the "most elite" force in the republic, and don't let you pick your own team, don't let people try out for it, they just say "here go get these dudes" and you're stuck with them, despite the fact that one of them totally doesn't fit nor does he seem especially competent. Other NPCs actually seem more useful than some of the squad members you are given. Additionally, they don't actually make the enemy seem especially dangerous, our work doesn't really seem like something that the average grunts couldn't do, and there's no personal investment in seeing the enemy defeated, at least after chapter 1, which is NOT the case with the other 3 classes you mentioned.
    My issue with the group I got isn't so much them (though as you say, calling them the elite of anything is odd), but that you never act like a squad. There's a couple missions where the entire team is active, but not as a group. Now, obviously this is part of the limitations of it being a You + Companion set up, but it doesn't give story reasons why no one is with you.

    It's not just Troopers though, Agents are so lauded, storywise, but there is no attempt to integrate "I'm undercover" with "I'm running imperial missions" and you might be blowing up bad guys in between working with them. Most of the classes have little things like that, really.

    People may dislike the COnsular storyline (I liked it well enough), but you assemble a large group and that large group is doing stuff (off-camera) that mean they're still a part of the world. My trooper and Dorne went into danger nearly nonstop and the remainder of my team played cards on the ship.

  15. #35

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    My issue with the group I got isn't so much them (though as you say, calling them the elite of anything is odd), but that you never act like a squad. There's a couple missions where the entire team is active, but not as a group. Now, obviously this is part of the limitations of it being a You + Companion set up, but it doesn't give story reasons why no one is with you.

    It's not just Troopers though, Agents are so lauded, storywise, but there is no attempt to integrate "I'm undercover" with "I'm running imperial missions" and you might be blowing up bad guys in between working with them. Most of the classes have little things like that, really.
    Yeah, I do wish there were more quests where you assign your companions to do things offscreen as part of the mission, so it at least feels like you're a team. The warrior storyline had a good quest like that, you have to send one companion to disable some security system and another to do stage a diversion or something, and a third to come with you. Sure, the 2 you send to do something else don't play a visual part in your mission, but it at least gives you the feeling that your team IS a team. You at least storyline wise know that while you and so and so are kicking ass on the front line, your other companion is off disabling the security field that would have stopped you from entering the facility or what not, and the second guy's diversion is keeping you from having to fight a much larger force. More "teamwork" quests like that would be really appreciated in my book.

    And yeah, I had the same issue with the agent storyline, it really took me out of the story. I mean, if I'm undercover, you'd think Imperial Intelligence really wouldn't want me ALSO taking assignments where I, you know, kill 20 members of the rebel group I'm supposed to be infiltrating, followed by destroying 10 of their arms caches, followed by blowing up one of their generators...

  17. #37
    I honestly didnt like the trooper story.. at all... But loved the IA
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

    General George S Patton

  18. #38
    I enjoyed the military aspect of the story as well, my Trooper is very by-the-books in most of her answers -- which is a good way to max Aric and Elara's affections quickly, by the way.

    The only part I really disliked was the very ending, which I won't spoil for you. Just because I looked at it and thought, well what was the point then?

    The end of Act 2 was an absolute blast and hands-down my favorite story mission of any class I've played so far. Once we get more races, I'm going to make another Trooper (male this time) so I can play it again.
    Ornasse Evershade, Sage of the Seven Pines | Tsi Ku | Healing WoW since 2006
    http://dancinghare.wordpress.com ~ Art, stories and musings. | My Pet Collection

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Yet they put you in charge of the "most elite" force in the republic, and don't let you pick your own team, don't let people try out for it, they just say "here go get these dudes" and you're stuck with them, despite the fact that one of them totally doesn't fit nor does he seem especially competent. Other NPCs actually seem more useful than some of the squad members you are given. Additionally, they don't actually make the enemy seem especially dangerous, our work doesn't really seem like something that the average grunts couldn't do, and there's no personal investment in seeing the enemy defeated, at least after chapter 1, which is NOT the case with the other 3 classes you mentioned.
    That's not entirely true. First you are nothing more than another new guy trying to proof himself to be part of the most elite squad. Only because of what happens, because you actually are one of the few which knows what really happened and that you already have a connection to the rest of the squad makes you actually the leader of the "most elite" force in the republic. You see in the very beginning that your first companion doesn't believe that you are capable of and while you proof that you are what you are supposed to be, your general is assigning you new top people which are supposed to be "the best" in the republic in what they are doing. Given the pressure of the subject, I don't see the time for your trooper to go around town to find and build your squad.

    As for the group actions... so far every class I played you have group actions at some points in the story but I do agree that we could have for any class more interaction with it's companion.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychlon View Post
    That's not entirely true. First you are nothing more than another new guy trying to proof himself to be part of the most elite squad. Only because of what happens, because you actually are one of the few which knows what really happened and that you already have a connection to the rest of the squad makes you actually the leader of the "most elite" force in the republic. You see in the very beginning that your first companion doesn't believe that you are capable of and while you proof that you are what you are supposed to be, your general is assigning you new top people which are supposed to be "the best" in the republic in what they are doing. Given the pressure of the subject, I don't see the time for your trooper to go around town to find and build your squad.

    As for the group actions... so far every class I played you have group actions at some points in the story but I do agree that we could have for any class more interaction with it's companion.
    You were given the squad post because of your prior successes(which happened offscreen but still), and because of your skill and loyalty you were put in charge. But the people we are assigned are NOT shown in any way to be the "best" at anything. We see them in action and they do not show exceptional qualities, Vic in particular is shown as someone untrustworthy, unreliable, and NOT being capable of doing what he's supposed to be "best" at(explosives) without a HUGE amount of help. Then when I do literally ALL the work, clear all the defenses to enable his stolen missile to actually function, he shows off his skills by...pushing a goddamn button? You mean to tell me Aric or Elara couldn't do the same thing just as easily? And given the importance of the subject, I'd think it would be MORE important to be sure I had a squad that could pull the mission off, rather than some people randomly assigned to me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •