Thread: DOTs over melee

DOTs over melee

Will someone please explain to me why DOTS take precedence in damage over melee. EX toon is dotted up but my execute does 20000 damage and that is 5000 overkill, but the lock that had him dotted up gets the killing blow.

A new era in whining;

Dot stole my kill in a regular battleground.

Seriously though, let's believe this actually happened (Even though you hit a 15k hp left player for 20k, some other guy gets the killing blow), -most importantly- how many times did this happen? Did it really hurt your gameplay? Worst thing that could have happened is you didn't get the killing blow thus couldn't get Victory Rush activated, some other guy comes and kills you.

I'm sick of whiners like you. A human being shouldn't have this much potential to whine. A minor bug or most probably a latency issue that hurts you in no way..

for years playing affliction having so many kbs sniped this makes me feel good i feed on your tears

Quote Originally Posted by Angy View Post
    A new era in whining;

Dot stole my kill in a regular battleground.

Seriously though, let's believe this actually happened (Even though you hit a 15k hp left player for 20k, some other guy gets the killing blow), -most importantly- how many times did this happen? Did it really hurt your gameplay? Worst thing that could have happened is you didn't get the killing blow thus couldn't get Victory Rush activated, some other guy comes and kills you.

I'm sick of whiners like you. A human being shouldn't have this much potential to whine. A minor bug or most probably a latency issue that hurts you in no way..
    Holy flametard batman, I am not whining, I am really just curious, I don't care who gets the KB I just want to know if DOTs take precedence over melee damage,

Just a guess, but I'm going to say it's a simple matter of three DoTs on a target landing hits more often than your single execute. As you thought you killed him, some of his damage was likely attempting to trigger. Multiple things happened at what the server considers the same time, and because the lock had more outgoing occurrences of damage he is more likely to be awarded that killing blow.

But seriously, who cares? Killing blows are irrelevant. If you have to epeen about something in a BG, shouldn't it be total damage done? I guess that's not really fair competition either, but I'd say it's still a lot more balanced than KBs. In general, your class is going to steal way more KBs than any warlock.

Deleted
    Actually when 2 hits hit the guy right at the same time and it's the moment when he's killed. There is actually some kind of mechanic involved that takes in account both hits ponders them (i don't know in what way) and then it's up to plain luck.

IIRC this is what happens, i read it one day on a blue post but i can't recall when or when.

For the sake of example with total random numbers. Lets say his dot and your execute both killed him. Lets say you then get 75% chance to get the KB and the dot gets 25%.
    Then he just got lucky(ish) . Be it even 99% to 1% these things happens.

I'll admit that I don't like seeing so many dots in the game. It seems to have been a bandaid fix to target uptime in PvE. But it's been a dumb change for rogues and is probably the main reason they got cloak. Dot classes should have dots. Classes that aren't dot dependent shouldn't. Let's remove all this homogenization one little thing at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

If you have an execute and you can't get the killing blow, you're gonna have a bad time.

As a shadow priest with both DOTS and TWO EXECUTES, I'm pretty much the KB king in random battlegrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    I'll admit that I don't like seeing so many dots in the game. It seems to have been a bandaid fix to target uptime in PvE. But it's been a dumb change for rogues and is probably the main reason they got cloak. Dot classes should have dots. Classes that aren't dot dependent shouldn't. Let's remove all this homogenization one little thing at a time.
    Everything uses periodic effects now though, don't they? I think arcane mages were the last holdout, but that went out the window with 5.0. Without DoTs, PvP would probably be worse-off in general. For a spec to not have periodic damage it either has to have non-viable output (BC ret), stupid burst (WotLK elemental), or a different clunky ramp-up mechanic (Cataclysm arms). None of those things are good for PvP as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramman View Post
    Will someone please explain to me why DOTS take precedence in damage over melee. EX toon is dotted up but my execute does 20000 damage and that is 5000 overkill, but the lock that had him dotted up gets the killing blow.
    who cares about kbs? as for your specific situation would need to see a log for an explanation.

My UI flashes up often than my Hand of Light and whatever else I follow up with both do Overkill damage. Only one gets the credit. It would've been the same for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    I'll admit that I don't like seeing so many dots in the game.
    i heard a dispell takes off dots.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Angy View Post
    Did it really hurt your gameplay? Worst thing that could have happened is you didn't get the killing blow thus couldn't get Victory Rush activated, some other guy comes and kills you.
    I'm not sure what to say.

That is pretty significantly frustrating, especially considering how Warrior defense is so pathetic and the class is being funneled into a one shot macro.

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    i heard a dispell takes off dots.....
    i heard that dispel has a cooldown and is also generally used on cc

was this really worth a thread?

Deleted
    I notice this alot too lately, seems like people take some extra time to ACTUALLY die than before if you know what i mean.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramman View Post
    Holy flametard batman, I am not whining, I am really just curious, I don't care who gets the KB I just want to know if DOTs take precedence over melee damage,
    Killing Blows are based entirely on who scores the damage that reduces the targets health to 0 or below first. If you got overkill damage, then you got the killing blow, if you dealt 15k damage to a target with 20k health remaining, and then a dot ticked for 5k - the dot got the kill.

What may have happened is Purgatory - if you were fighting a DK and reduced them to 0 health, they stay alive for 3 additional seconds - and if not healed over 0 health during that duration (they continue to take damage into negative health) then you could score Overkill damage but not that the killing blow - I am unsure if Purgatory counts the killing blow as the first hit that reduced the DK below 0 health (activating Purgatory) or the last damage dealt to the DK during Purgatory before the 3 second shield expires: but regardless this mechanic could explain it.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter