Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleros View Post
    EQ was still the MMO giant when WoW came out. All of the EQ fanbois would deny that any game would ever dethrone EQ. Fact is, EQ had been out for 8 years and was a highly outdated game at that point, but people insisted it could never be killed, that it was still the best, and were blind to the corporate greed of Sony calling the shots. WoW comes along, EQ fanbois continue to deny that anything will ever bring it down... where is EQ now?

WoW was a terrible game by today's standards pre 1.8, as you said. Even by those day's standards, it was pretty bad. EQ had a lot of features that WoW didn't have because it was 8 years older than WoW. But people were just sick of it by that point, and ready to put their faith in something new.

A lot of WoWers are sick of the game, and ready to put their faith in something new. If trend follows, 8 years is about the maximum life expectancy of the "giant" before it declines. The new giant might be GW2, might be another MMO, might be split among many.
    Trend ?
    One instance for sure does not make a trend ^^

---------- Post added 2012-09-15 at 10:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    modern games are written in c++, industry standards. especially mechanics part. kinda off topic but i gotta say :d
    Engines are written in c++, bigassdragons arent :P

WoW comes along, EQ fanbois continue to deny that anything will ever bring it down... where is EQ now?
    Still up and running, actually.

Stood in the Fire
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    modern games are written in c++, industry standards. especially mechanics part. kinda off topic but i gotta say :d
    Only clients are typically written in C++, and even that is "typically", not always. Even C++ clients often have elements that aren't time-critical (i.e., not related to graphics or animation) written in a different language. Blizzard/Rift AddOns are the best known example (even some of Blizzard's own UI is written in Lua, not just player-made addons).

Server-side, things tend to be considerably more varied. For example, it is well known (because the developers have talked about it at length) that EVE Online runs on top of Stackless Python.

Yea, EQ still got tons of expansions post-Warcraft. They even have time locked servers now. EQ2 still running as well w/ xpacs and all to this very day.

Quite good games. Maybe the best MMOs ever made in total honesty. Certainly EQ1 is the quintessential MMO.

Quite good games. Maybe the best MMOs ever made in total honesty. Certainly EQ1 is the quintessential MMO.
    There's still so much I love about the first EverQuest, and so many elements that I wish modern developers didn't just abandon.