Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorias View Post
    Yea, I've been watching them, now I say Have Fun! after everything I say haha.
    I only use it when I put people in situations that make me an asshole (basically, what they say at the end of every video) c:
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    http://guildwars2hub.com/features/ed...gs-do-level-80

Some of them are kinda stupid (e.g. 12, 28, and 42), and some of them overlap a bit too much (e.g. 19 and 20, or 32, 33, and 34), but it's still a pretty decent list overall.
    The fact that we even have a thread like this 2 weeks into an mmo speaks for itself when it comes to a lack of endgame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinitus View Post
    The fact that we even have a thread like this 2 weeks into an mmo speaks for itself when it comes to a lack of endgame.
    The "lack of endgame" is only there if you are specifically wanting one kind of endgame: raiding.

"lack of raiding" is not the same thing as "lack of endgame" by a wide margin. If you want raiding, there's at least two games out there for it, which are pretty good at it, called WoW and Rift.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Depends on your definition of 'decent'. If you aren't a competionist style of player than yea you'll probably get bored of GW2. It's a completionist's heaven. There are thousands of hours of content, but if you don't enjoy that kind of content then hey, at least you got your $60 worth right?
    Agree, it's a completionist game and I'm not a completionist but it was still worth the money even though I wont be playing much after 80. Doesn't matter since I don't pay any sub fee but it's a pity since the game has a lot of potential.

---------- Post added 2012-09-14 at 09:31 PM ----------

The "lack of endgame" is only there if you are specifically wanting one kind of endgame: raiding.

"lack of raiding" is not the same thing as "lack of endgame" by a wide margin. If you want raiding, there's at least two games out there for it, which are pretty good at it, called WoW and Rift.
    I'm not a raider, I'm into PvP but the PvP in GW2 becomes pointless for me after while when the novelty wears off since doing the same stuff over and over again for nothing gets old.

Agree, it's a completionist game and I'm not a completionist but it was still worth the money even though I wont be playing much after 80. Doesn't matter since I don't pay any sub fee but it's a pity since the game has a lot of potential.

---------- Post added 2012-09-14 at 09:31 PM ----------

I'm not a raider, I'm into PvP but the PvP in GW2 becomes pointless for me after while when the novelty wears off since doing the same stuff over and over again for nothing gets old.
    Gear skins and rank are nothing? I for one am glad PvP is fair (ie, no gear imbalance), sure, there might be some class imbalance at the moment but that's something that changes over time. PvP where you have to spend X hours being destroyed because you need it to get gear becomes pointless

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    The same thing would be true even if you could keep getting more powerful gear, with new tiers of power being released every 8-12 months. It's still the same old, same old. The constantly-increasing power is entirely an illusion of gaining more power, because everybody else is also gaining power. Your power relative to other people really doesn't change.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-14 at 07:52 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Gear skins and rank are nothing? I for one am glad PvP is fair (ie, no gear imbalance), sure, there might be some class imbalance at the moment but that's something that changes over time. PvP where you have to spend X hours being destroyed because you need it to get gear becomes pointless
    If you are not totally outgeared it's mote than possibe to beat a better player. I do i all the time in wow so when people say things like you said it makes me think they the really do lack skill since they blame the gear all the time.

If you are not totally outgeared it's mote than possibe to beat a better player. I do i all the time in wow so when people say things like you said it makes me think they the really do lack skill since they blame the gear all the time.
    See, the thing is...lets say I'm a new PvPer (which, frankly, I do it little enough that it's basically true). Sure, I know everything about my class, but not everything about how it works in PvP. Ok, great, so there's a learning curve in PvP. That, I'm absolutely fine with. Oh, but in other games, I go into PvP, do what I can, possibly learning but likely not living long enough without PvP gear (or even with a starter set of gear, should I choose to grind/purchase such a set) to even have a chance. So instead I effectively am dead weight on the team, and don't get the opportunity to learn. So not only do I have a disadvantage skill-wise, which practice can fix, gear makes it completely unbearable to put in such practice.

Deleted
    The same thing would be true even if you could keep getting more powerful gear, with new tiers of power being released every 8-12 months. It's still the same old, same old. The constantly-increasing power is entirely an illusion of gaining more power, because everybody else is also gaining power. Your power relative to other people really doesn't change.
    It isn't for me since once I have a char max PvP geared I usually start to gear another one up because the game play is so different between the classes it keeps me entertained to have several chars to gear up. In GW2 there are so few skills to use that different proffesions still only have 4-5 skills mostly to spam so I really don't feel like rolling an alt for PvP and since there is not enough difference for me between the profesions it's boring. In other games I can have a char geared for a certain role and when I get bored I can just respec and get a totally new role and abilities to explore and gives me another good reason to gear up again.

This usually keeps me busy for an entire expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't for me since once I have a char max PvP geared I usually start to gear another one up because the game play is so different between the classes it keeps me entertained to have several chars to gear up. In GW2 there are so few skills to use that different proffesions still only have 4-5 skills mostly to spam so I really don't feel like rolling an alt for PvP and since there is not enough difference for me between the profesions it's boring. In other games I can have a char geared for a certain role and when I get bored I can just respec and get a totally new role and abilities to explore and gives me another good reason to gear up again.

It's also the case that this constantly increasing power causes the problem of forcing you to constantly play the game, or else you will fall behind and become absolutely worthless. You have to keep playing catch-up in gear, staying with or ahead of the curve, or else you fall behind.

This is specifically something they chose, from a design perspective, to avoid.

Yes, a skilled player can overcome those gear differentials, but when those gear differentials aren't there, a skilled player can still overcome a lesser skilled opponent, AND nobody loses a match just because of gear, which is often incredibly frustrating.

More to the point of what you said in that post...

You're way off. I've tried all 8 of the professions, and played around with all their different builds, and they all have multiple playstyles that, while are not all necessarily unique from the other professions, are still unique from each other.

In my experience with WoW, playing an Enhancement Shaman or a Subtlety Rogue... are not huge differences. You're still dual-wield Agi melee. But each one still has unique tools that dramatically affect how different encounters will go.

Your thoughts on this?: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c..._wars_2_has_a/
    As it stands, it just sounds like you enjoy getting the best gear possible then moving on. Perfectly fine. But doesn't make sense in terms of skill and replay-ability.

I think the idea between Arena Ratings and what not...in lower levels of AR, you can get away with using the wrong skills. That doesn't make sense, as it doesn't prepare you for higher AR games, gear aside. GW2 puts you into the fray and tells you to find the builds ASAP, because everyone is equal gear-wise.
    Last edited by WorldofWorkcraft; 2012-09-14 at 07:57 PM.

Deleted
    See, the thing is...lets say I'm a new PvPer (which, frankly, I do it little enough that it's basically true). Sure, I know everything about my class, but not everything about how it works in PvP. Ok, great, so there's a learning curve in PvP. That, I'm absolutely fine with. Oh, but in other games, I go into PvP, do what I can, possibly learning but likely not living long enough without PvP gear (or even with a starter set of gear, should I choose to grind/purchase such a set) to even have a chance. So instead I effectively am dead weight on the team, and don't get the opportunity to learn. So not only do I have a disadvantage skill-wise, which practice can fix, gear makes it completely unbearable to put in such practice.
    Tha's not my experience, I can usually get good kill/death ratio even with a fresh char in PvP if I play it smart and that's very rewarding for me. When i do gear up it's even more fun since now I can combine both skill and good gear but i will still face some people with good gear and great skill so the challange will always be there.

Quotes like this make me feel old and weird for playing games like Q3 / UT for countless hours back in the day. Games with no long term goals at all other than 'win that match' because... well, the game was a blast to play, and nothing else was really required.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    Couldn't have possibly said it better than that.

---------- Post added 2012-09-14 at 02:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Quotes like this make me feel old and weird for playing games like Q3 / UT for countless hours back in the day. Games with no long term goals at all other than 'win that match' because... well, the game was a blast to play, and nothing else was really required.
    The irony being that there is a currently incredibly popular game that has no long terms goals other than "win that match"

League of Legends, currently at a higher concurrency than WoW. HoN is also incredibly popular, and I think DotA 2 is gaining in popularity as well. No idea how well "Blizzard Dota" will do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    Your thoughts on this?: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c..._wars_2_has_a/
    As it stands, it just sounds like you enjoy getting the best gear possible then moving on. Perfectly fine. But doesn't make sense in terms of skill and replay-ability.

I think the idea between Arena Ratings and what not...in lower levels of AR, you can get away with using the wrong skills. That doesn't make sense, as it doesn't prepare you for higher AR games, gear aside. GW2 puts you into the fray and tells you to find the builds ASAP, because everyone is equal gear-wise.
    It's his opinion. I don't agree.

---------- Post added 2012-09-14 at 10:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Well the thing is that we evolve as players and what we enjoyed back in the day isn't guaranteed to entertain us today and that's the main reason why D3 failed for instance. The fans kept telling people "hey it's Diablo just like it was back in 2000, this is what the game is like". Apparently they failed to realize that players evolve and what was fun in 2000 isn't neccessarily fun in 2012.

---------- Post added 2012-09-14 at 10:05 PM ----------

Couldn't have possibly said it better than that.

---------- Post added 2012-09-14 at 02:57 PM ----------

The irony being that there is a currently incredibly popular game that has no long terms goals other than "win that match"

League of Legends, currently at a higher concurrency than WoW. HoN is also incredibly popular, and I think DotA 2 is gaining in popularity as well. No idea how well "Blizzard Dota" will do.

If I wan't a quick fix of just killing stuff I fire up BF3 since those kind of games are much better suited for that but in mmo I expect much more than that.

It's his opinion. I don't agree.
    Like your opinion of lack of endgame?

Deleted
    Like your opinion of lack of endgame?
    Exactly, we have different opinions or there would be no point in having a thread like this

10+ Year Old Account
    I can agree with that, but I wouldn't then translate that to say "they've done a poor job with endgame"

They just need to tune the difficulty of the content better, and use a scale other than "lawlz moar HP is hard!"

Instead of giving up on the game, use your voice to let ANet know that this doesn't work well, and then see what they come up with. They're actually pretty good about listening to player feedback.
    Well, its not that Im giving up on the game. Im totally addicted to WvW and sPvP. I just want some new type of content. It doesnt have to be raiding. Im open to alot of things. I feel like Orr is poorly done. Its not solo friendly at all. The DEs are some of the most massive zerg fests I've seen since actually playing Zerg in SC.

I want something to break away from the norm and truly impress me. I know the foundation is there and until Anet does something different with it, I will stick to PvP.

OK so it's 40 things, many of which take 100+ hours to complete. Have fun! :P
    Hehe thanks I ll take it slowly though..I am not into pvp at all, so things are much less for me...my main goal is level some characters to 80 and explore the beautiful world. Then skill up crafting. The ultimate goal, in a year maybe, will be a legendary but maybe I will give up trying...

Well it is not entirely true..classes needs lot of balance..as it is right now I can't say skill is all that matters, because there are OP classes and also classes that are underpowered(we agree on this).Also skill always matter more than gear though in any game. I have played almost all MMOs and always have seen people with low gear outperform people with better gear. Also in a game like wow, how much it take for someone to gear up in pvp?2-3 days? People make things appear tragic..also people are spoiled as they believed that they got pawned in other games because of the gear and now they will use their true powers in GW2
    Last edited by papajohn4; 2012-09-14 at 08:34 PM.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    Hehe thanks I ll take it slowly though..I am not into pvp at all, so things are much less for me...my main goal is level some characters to 80 and explore the beautiful world. Then skill up crafting. The ultimate goal, in a year maybe, will be a legendary but maybe I will give up trying...

Well it is not entirely true..classes needs lot of balance..as it is right now I can't say skill is all that matters, because there are OP classes and also classes that are underpowered(we agree on this).Also skill always matter more than gear though in any game. I have played almost all MMOs and always have seen people with low gear outperform people with better gear. Also in a game like wow, how much it take for someone to gear up in pvp?2-3 days? People make things appear tragic..also peopel are spoiled as they believed that they got pawned in other games because of the gear and now they will use their true powers in GW2
    See, that's the thing though...at one point in time I did PvP on a regular basis...I was never amazing, but I was fairly good...I suffered through not having gear, and as I got closer to being well geared I started being able to beat players with better gear than me...and when I was well geared I usually survived/won ~75% of the time...so sure, gear's not everything, but when gear is a factor, it's a non-negligible factor, which makes the gearing process tedious at best--which is why I don't PvP at the moment in gear based games.