Thread: "Own" my farm?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

"Own" my farm?

Just a dumb question for Beta players but do you ever actually own your farm or are you forever working the "cityslicker" dude's farm. This is a pretty important distinction for me immersion wise. I don't really care how much freedom I have to grow whatever crops I want, I want to know the place is mine! lol

Deleted
    You'll share it by the end, how the division pans out I don't know.

10+ Year Old Account
    The person you get the quests from inherited the farm and needs help to get the farm in action to compete with the other farmers. You do own it as in you can do what you want but you need to expand it by doing more quests

Quote Originally Posted by Sapanther View Post
    Just a dumb question for Beta players but do you ever actually own your farm or are you forever working the "cityslicker" dude's farm. This is a pretty important distinction for me immersion wise. I don't really care how much freedom I have to grow whatever crops I want, I want to know the place is mine! lol
    If you look at it from purely a lore perspective. the guy says you are ´partners´ after you complete the first couple quests.

10+ Year Old Account
    From the lore point of view you don't own it. The guy who introduces it basically stays there once the farm is complete too. And while all the npc gifts are all given to you, they are on his land. So while you can do whatever you want with it, it is never yours, you are just staying on his land. Partners or not, you are not the owner.

Well that sucks. Every time I read about the tiller factions it says you will own your farm but the video I saw was pretty much what you are saying. =( I even get a bunch of stuff to put in some other dudes house. That's just not right!

they took my farm

Here's to hoping maybe they expand on it in later patches? Who knows, we might end up being the owners with 5.1 or beyond, hard to say yet. The idea of actually having a little piece of land for myself is really cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlikemyrage View Post
    Here's to hoping maybe they expand on it in later patches? Who knows, we might end up being the owners with 5.1 or beyond, hard to say yet. The idea of actually having a little piece of land for myself is really cool.
    They are ever-so-slowly creeping toward player housing with this. Give it time. If it proves to be really popular, it will likely be expanded. Ironically, anyone going "Ha Ha, Farmville! How lame!" that's ever wanted to have player housing is probably not helping.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    They are ever-so-slowly creeping toward player housing with this. Give it time. If it proves to be really popular, it will likely be expanded. Ironically, anyone going "Ha Ha, Farmville! How lame!" that's ever wanted to have player housing is probably not helping.
    They'll have to first justify player housing. And Blizz still hasn't managed to balance it with their dreams of an open world MMO.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

This farm thing is a pretty good step in the right direction as long as people like it and it pans out blizzard just needs to steal wildstar's housing ideas and implement them in wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    They'll have to first justify player housing. And Blizz still hasn't managed to balance it with their dreams of an open world MMO.
    You get your own mailbox and over time can collect furniture for your own little phased house and farm stead. Seems like they've already gone a ways toward justifying it without quite pulling the trigger on it. The thing is that going from here to player housing is relatively a small step whereas before it wasn't even on the table.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    You get your own mailbox and over time can collect furniture for your own little phased house and farm stead. Seems like they've already gone a ways toward justifying it without quite pulling the trigger on it. The thing is that going from here to player housing is relatively a small step whereas before it wasn't even on the table.
    They were asked post-MoP reveal about it. Their response was the same "It doesn't fit with our Open World MMO plans" line we've gotten since BC.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    They were asked post-MoP reveal about it. Their response was the same "It doesn't fit with our Open World MMO plans" line we've gotten since BC.
    Well, obviously for now the answer will still be "not yet", but I think MoanaLisa is right. This is a good step in the door for them to see how popular something like player housing would really be.

From what I understand y'all are saying, if they just took out the guy who owned the place, we would have player housing! Maybe give us the chance to buy the farm from him for 50-100k. Awesome money sink for Blizz and if you truly want it, you can have it.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I understand y'all are saying, if they just took out the guy who owned the place, we would have player housing! Maybe give us the chance to buy the farm from him for 50-100k. Awesome money sink for Blizz and if you truly want it, you can have it.
    Yep, exactly. I am personally really hoping it will be added at some point in the future, doesn't matter if it is distant future. Now we only need some kind of storage place inside, maybe something similar to a banker so that I can bring my stuff over. More of the ''my own place'' feeling

Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    Well, obviously for now the answer will still be "not yet", but I think MoanaLisa is right. This is a good step in the door for them to see how popular something like player housing would really be.
    Much as I want it, it's really not since you can't invite or show anyone else 'your farm'. An at least last time I did it if you're far enough away or flying fast enough you see other people on your farm till they phaze out. It's a cute area but it's just a phazed daily hub like any other, may aswell say any comfortable looking instance is a step towards housing. Actually yeah, a whole Brewery, Cathedral, creepy school to yourself? Awesome, but short lived.

Also since they just justified they took auctioneers out of Pandaria because they STILL want people to be forced back into Stormwind and Orgrimmar to make it look busy alongside the CRZ crap as if they didn't learn a damn thing from Cata.

Who knows, perhaps if they lose a few more million subscriptions, they might consider allowing for some player-created content like player/guild housing in the future? I think if players keep mentioning it, we might eventually convince them to incorporate player-housing in a future expansion. Obviously, not any time soon since they're probably already working on the next expansion, but perhaps in 6.0?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dran View Post
    Much as I want it, it's really not since you can't invite or show anyone else 'your farm'. An at least last time I did it if you're far enough away or flying fast enough you see other people on your farm till they phaze out.
    Question: Has anyone tried to show a friend their farm when in a party/group? You sort of implied that you did but didn't say for sure.

Just necro'ing because I think this is such a good idea I'm sure blizzard will implement it .... OH WAIT!!!!!! Neener, Neener I called it