10+ Year Old Account

Video card upgrade.. maybe?

Hey people of MMO-Champion, I have a question, and I'm hoping you guys/girls can answer it.

My PC is fairly old right now, I think I bought it back in 2008, it's also pre-build and from MEDION.

For some reason I can still run alot of games very well, but my question is, is it possible for me to only upgrade my videocard to a better one? My budget is around 60-100 euro's.

My specs are:

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GT 230
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80 GHZ (2 CPU's), ~2.8GHZ
    RAM: well it says, 4096MB Ram, but some other places say 3.3GB RAM.

Please tell me if I'm missing stuff for the specs, I'm not so handy with this stuff.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the pretty wall.

PS: I forgot to add that I play at a 1366 x 768 resolution.

-Mitta
    Last edited by CptMitta; 2012-09-14 at 10:19 PM.

Do you have an exact reference model, or the motherboard model, and the power supply make/model or wattage & amperage?
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

It says 3.3Gb of Ram more than likely because you have a 32bit operating system. Windows 32 bit dedicates .75 Gb to something else. In order to go beyond 4 you will need a 64 bit operating system. Your whole system is up for an upgrade it looks like. You will see some fps difference if you go with a newer video card but it wont be anywhere near as good of FPS difference youd see with a whole new machine. Plus you might need/want to buy another psu at the same time. I would say in that price range a 7770 would be the best bet but the rest of your computer will still hinder you.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura View Post
    Do you have an exact reference model, or the motherboard model, and the power supply make/model or wattage & amperage?
    What he said, need more information so someone can make proper suggestions based on the PSU. Odds are on a system that old you are probably running a 400-500 watt PSU but it could easily be some generic crappy PSU.

Best case scenario - PSU has 2 PCIE 6 pin connectors for a new video card.

Worst case scenario - You need a new PSU.

But aside from that you replace the GPU for a better card and it's going to be bottle necked by your out of date CPU/RAM. So in short if you upgrade Video Cards try for something that is good enough that it doesn't require more hardware or upgrade all 3 components.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

10+ Year Old Account
    I see, well I have no idea where to find that information to be honest :S, and I also don't have the budget to upgrade everything i'm afraid.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CptMitta View Post
    I see, well I have no idea where to find that information to be honest :S, and I also don't have the budget to upgrade everything i'm afraid.
    Well PSU specs are on the side of it in a lot of cases and you can see if the cables are coming off the PSU for the PCIE cards. Even the name and brand on the side of the PSU could point someone in the direction to say yes or no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?