Deleted

How does discoveries work (crafting professions)?

I have to be honest here. I have no idea how the basics of the discovery panel work when it comes to crafting professions. I have 110 skill points in the huntsman professions and I assume that it should be enough to make use of the discovery panel? I have tried a lot of different places to find a guide that could explain me the basics, but so far I haven't been able to find a guide that assumes that this isnt common knowledge.

- What items do I need to put in to make it work (out of the 4 choices)?
    - How does the discoveries work out? Is it random like the Mystic forge? Are you being granted new recipies by doing using this feature?

Here's a good video that helped me out.

I posted about this last evening, and you want to use discovery as your crafting level method as often as possible. Not only do you get more skill levels from it, it also uses FAR fewer materials to do so.

I didn't watch all the video, but to use the armorsmith example... if you get to skill level 25, you will 'unlock' a given number of insignia's.. make 1 of each. Then make the materials to craft a helm, but do NOT craft it yet. Instead, put the helm parts + an insignia in the discovery tab, and make one. Now repeat that for each insignia. Then make 3 more insignia's, and do the same thing with gloves. etc.

Basically, you don't want to have the WoW mindset of making shitloads of a single item until the recipe goes green.. you want to discover as many recipes as you can.

---------- Post added 2012-09-14 at 07:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Funkthepunk View Post
    - What items do I need to put in to make it work (out of the 4 choices)?
    - How does the discoveries work out? Is it random like the Mystic forge? Are you being granted new recipies by doing using this feature?
    Items that show your crafting class when you mouseover them are all potential discovery materials. There are scenarios where you'll need more than 1 of something (charged silver for example), or situations where an item is used for something that is beyond your current skillset. Basic items that you craft (insignia's, basic materials like linings etc) are also usable in the discovery tab.

15+ Year Old Account
    You get some "base" recipes every 25 skill levels of a crafting profession. From there, there are a lot of recipes to discover. You can pretty much discover any recipe that IS NOT learned from a pattern by putting the components into the discovery window.

www.guildhead.com is a good place to see most/all recipes for your profession, and it's pretty easy to tell which ones are discoveries, although it is kind of a cheat sheet.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Deleted
    Thanks a lot for the help. I've managed to make it work now. It is so much more smooth now.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's easy to waste materials in this game on crafting, but when you understand/work it out, it's very simple and boosts you many levels