Page 1 of 2
LastLast

John Smith on the State of the Guild Wars 2 Economy

Interesting article. I found this to be pretty funny about the banning of exploiters...

"To give some perspective on our actions against exploiters, let’s discuss the karma vendor exploit, where an item was priced at 21 karma instead of 35,000 karma. In this case, we made a mistake and many players got some awesome weapons for very cheap. Does a single player buying a weapon, to use, damage the game or really hurt the players? Not terribly, but getting cheap weapons for your characters wasn’t the problem. The problem was the 1.46 million weapons purchased by 4,862 players, which averages over 300 weapons per player. There is a fundamental difference here between players who got a cheap weapon and players who found a bug in the game and took advantage of it. The latter attempted to create wealth for themselves at the expense of the other millions of players that are injured by exploiting behavior."

15+ Year Old Account
    The guy basically defined the difference between inadvertently benefiting from a bug, and exploiting, something that a lot of people have been trying to explain to the people QQing about getting banned for blatantly exploiting a bug, and to the people making sarcastic comments about how they're not sure what they can and cannot benefit from in the game.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

I actually found his data pic of race / class / sex / trade far my interesting than anything he had to say.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by maddbomber83 View Post
    I actually found his data pic of race / class / sex / trade far my interesting than anything he had to say.
    Lol it almost makes me want to make an artificer Mesmer charr....
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    I could have sworn people were complaining about how overplayed Charr would be pre-release..

10+ Year Old Account
    John Smith of 1882? My mistake....

I'm surpriesed the azura and engineer populations are low, I see so many of those I feel generic .

BTW, with a ruler I was able to see that the engineer and mesmer populations are on a tie, it really gave me the illusion mesmers had a lower population (according to the graph)
    Last edited by parcus; 2012-09-15 at 02:52 AM.

"There is a fundamental difference here between players who got a cheap weapon and players who found a bug in the game and took advantage of it. The latter attempted to create wealth for themselves at the expense of the other millions of players that are injured by exploiting behavior."

How exactly were other players affected by this in any way? Any more than a cash shop that is.... Hypocrisy thy name is Anet.
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post
    "There is a fundamental difference here between players who got a cheap weapon and players who found a bug in the game and took advantage of it. The latter attempted to create wealth for themselves at the expense of the other millions of players that are injured by exploiting behavior."

How exactly were other players affected by this in any way? Any more than a cash shop that is.... Hypocrisy thy name is Anet.
    No, it's not hypocrisy, it's a common phenomenom known as inflation. If you give a few people a lot of money, those people will start buying stuff. Whatever they bought will be taken away from the market, increasing demand, raising prices for other people (there are many theories as to how this work exactly, but at least that part people don't argue much over since it's pretty intuitive).

10+ Year Old Account
    Must have no idea how economies work if you think it wouldn't affected it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The biggest surprise for myself is how norn is the second most popular race... After being bashed for being generic and riffing off of skyrim, those bear buddies are going pretty strong. I also feel like I should reroll, being a warrior is so mainstream.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yay! Male characters for the win! :P

But really, I think the AH has been going pretty freaking good so far.

Not sure what people (exploiters) did to piss them off, but bye-bye to them!

Thought ranger was only the 4. most popular, not the second D:

Thought sylvari would be the least played race. Surprised to see that humans is the most popular race by FAR.

Deleted
    The Doctor plays GW2? Would it be wrong of him to tell us whether the game's a success or not 5 years from now? He has the TARDIS after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    I'm an artificer Mesmer sylvari, so am close.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ashamel View Post
    I'm an artificer Mesmer sylvari, so am close.
    I was a Norn engineer, then decided to reroll a warrior because the lesser challenge seemed appealing for once. Now I'm kinda sad seeing how many people are playing it...also know this means nothing but nerfs can come to this class in the future. lol.

All I know is I made a lot of money from lowbie materials, mystic coins and forge conduits. More of these events please!

10+ Year Old Account
    I got my male charr warrior up to fifty but I think I'm going to reroll to the lower classes. Now my kids have gobbled up two of my five slots so I need to be picky. Maybe I'll just put some gold into gems and get an extra slot or two. Rolled a female charr mesmer last night and they are definitely different. Will need to roll a female charr engineer next I think.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I got my male charr warrior up to fifty but I think I'm going to reroll to the lower classes. Now my kids have gobbled up two of my five slots so I need to be picky. Maybe I'll just put some gold into gems and get an extra slot or two. Rolled a female charr mesmer last night and they are definitely different. Will need to roll a female charr engineer next I think.
    I knew you were into furries. Busted!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I knew you were into furries. Busted!
    They are collectibles. Life-size, anatomically-correct, fuzzy-wuzzy... er, I mean, collectibles. Yeah, that's what I meant.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.