Poll: Is FF6 (FF3 on SNES) the greatest RPG ever created?

Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Final Fantasy 6 ranked #1 RPG of all time on IGN.

I wholeheartedly agree. Been gaming heavy since the NES/Sega mastersystem days. I'm almost in my mid 30's and have played/beaten every "big" name RPG that has arrived on SNES, Genesis, PS's, and Xbox's and FF6 hands down to me was the most groundbreaking. The soundtrack was flawless, the character development is unrivaled by anything I've played in the past 20 years, and the graphics were also top notch at the time for any game of any genre. I remember buying it the first day in middle school when it came out since I had played FF2 and loved it.

Haven't played the game in near 20 years, but it's the only RPG (or any game in any genre really) I remember vividly and EVERY part even down to the names of the towns and areas. The coin toss scene with Sabin and Edgar, Getting Gogo, Cyan's dead fmaily on the ghost train, Kefka's laugh, equipping the Genji Glove and Offering for crazy OP-ness, magicite, etc etc were all timeless to me.

I always felt the later FF's were highly overrated especially FF7. I remember buying FF7 the first day it came out also, playing about 15-20 hours in and thinking "WTF... it's ok but doesn't have the feel of the two previous FF's".

Agree? Disagree?
    Last edited by Chingylol; 2012-09-15 at 03:15 AM.

I agree, love the game.

Yes. I remember playing that game over and over and over trying to unlock Kefka by walking into walls at certain points and shit to glitch it out. Best game ever, I kinda wanna go find it now
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

Deleted
    I'd rate daggerfall, FF7 or Baldurs Gate higher then FF6, but that's my opinion.

FF7 definitely doesn't have the feel of the previous FF games, but I still like it.

FF6... great game, but I think I prefer FF4 even for some reason... was disappointed I didn't see Dark Cloud 2 anywhere on that list, that game was solid. Suikoden II way down at 44 is nice, at least it got some props, but no Suikoden III at all - which is like, probably my favorite RPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleid View Post
    I agree, love the game.
    always thought 7 was highly overrated

It's the best Final Fantasy game hands down, but I just can't possibly put it above Chrono Trigger. Still, surprised IGN had the guts to put that one #1, VII seems to be the one to get the love from most populist circles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ijanaak View Post
    FF7 definitely doesn't have the feel of the previous FF games, but I still like it.

FF6... great game, but I think I prefer FF4 even for some reason... was disappointed I didn't see Dark Cloud 2 anywhere on that list, that game was solid. Suikoden II way down at 44 is nice, at least it got some props, but no Suikoden III at all - which is like, probably my favorite RPG.
    Yes, Suikoden 1-3 I feel is very underrated! I remember when you get to the first major "battle" when you command the armies and it was like "OMG this is so cool!!!". Breath of Fire was also great on the SNES. It didn't break any new ground but was very solid.

Can't say that I agree with many of their choices, to be honest. There are some really, really great classics in the top 20 and then some that, while good games, just don't live up to the other games that are on there. But hey, opinions are opinions.

Isn't that the site that gave diablo 3 a 9.5 out of 10?
    Photo Website: http://www.jeremynative.com Please check out

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Orlando, Florida. United States of America
    Yes, the opera scene by itself rates it at #1. The fact that the world ends, and you have to kill a mad god is just icing on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by -Dkay- View Post
    I'd rate daggerfall, FF7 or Baldurs Gate higher then FF6, but that's my opinion.
    Bleh, daggerfall -.-

Gratz to FF6, I definitely agree, its my favorite game for sure

10+ Year Old Account
    Couldn't agree more, to be honest. All Square has to do to earn my undying love and adoration is to give an updated version of FF6. Just update graphics, music, and MAYBE fix a bug or two, and ship. Heck, I'd even buy a console just for that one game! Then again, part of what brings me back to the original time and again is the visuals and audio. Kefka's laugh = Still makes me cringe in fear!

Now to check the actual list :P
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

either 6 or 4 is for sure the best FF in the series.

I've only gone throw 100-80 and I'm very sad to see Vagrant Story and The Legend of Dragoon this low the list.

I don't take IGN seriously anymore, but from what I've heard FF6 is a masterpiece. Though since I've never played it, I can't give my view on whether or not its the 'best'.

However, I would put forward Chrono Trigger as being my favourite RPG, with Planescape: Torment snapping at its heels. And Ocarina of Time would be next.

I really should try more FF games.

It's always going to be a toss-up between Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI for the top spot. Personally, I thought CT was a better game all around, but FFVI did have a pretty spectacular ending.

FF6 is good, top ten, but not the best of all time.

Ok you all ready to flame me? I think Paper Mario and it's second true to heart sequel were the best RPGS, not any FF game.

I like FF4 better than FF6.

I don't want to vote no, because it's probably in my top 5, and I think it did earn such a rank quite well. It's a really good game.

The best RPG of all time is a game in which you can abuse game mechanics and one-hit kill everything up to and including the final boss?

The game is good, the soundtrack is great (although, overrated in my opinion), but we're talking about the best RPG of all time, taking into account every RPG ever made. While FF6 is a good game, it's an old snes game, it has problems, and we're taking about the best RPG EVER MADE, I don't think it should hold such a title.