Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How do you deal with this kind of sister?

I am currently babysitting a baby sister from Canada, and I'm really trying to resist the urge to yell at her, lest I suffer parental wrath.

- She gets super fucking angry if I don't get her what she wants, and drags onto my leg pouting.
    - If I refuse her something, she threatens tattle or withdrawing her breathe.
    - She (I shit you not) jumps on me to wake me up.
    - Finally, she forces me to play Tea Party every morning, with me playing as the "fool"

Can someone help me, without the the suggestion of beating her?

Ignore.

Ignore like a champ.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ignore her. Works on everybody and everything. The issue is most people don't have what it takes to properly ignore someone. To get results you can't just look away when she's being annoying, you gotta pretend she's dead 24/7.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

If she threatens to hold her breath, let her (at least that's what my aunt did to my cousins when they were growing up). If she can manage to hold her breath long enough to pass out, the subconscious brain would start her breathing again. So she doesn't get her way and she's passed out. Win-win.

Yeah you cannot hold your breath til you die. But you should be happy your sister likes to spend time with you, it is a bonding experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Simply refusing to babysit for the little brat anymore until the parental ragers fix the problem ought to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

when she is misbehaving, you give her three warnings and if she doesn't stop, she goes straight to time out, which lasts however long her age is in minutes, and doesn't start counting down until she is sitting there by herself without your help to keep her there.

stop giving her any attention when she is misbehaving. she acts that way because it benefits her. do not try to reason with her or discuss her behaviour with her in any way except to give her her warnings, and then a quick explanation to her why she is in time out. i.e. "you are in time out because you wouldn't get off my leg when i asked you to." don't feed into her behaviour.
    Last edited by hellosaltygoodness; 2012-09-15 at 03:50 AM.

a firm backhand

but really, ignore her. gently but firmly push her away or say "no" when you have to.

You guys make it sound like I can ignore her. If she's not happy, not only do I get no money, but also shit from grandparents.

- She gets super fucking angry if I don't get her what she wants, and drags onto my leg pouting.
    just let her rage on and only put her in a sepparte room if she starts trashing stuff.

i wish i had a chance to see that, would be adorable to see her fail at it over and over. and like ppl sad before, you cannot kill yourself like that
    so why bother? let her learn by herself

eh what? how can she get into your bedroom? why are you still sleeping while she is awake, and ofcourse give her a time out?

- Finally, she forces me to play Tea Party every morning, with me playing as the "fool"
    never heard of a tea party with the fool... still how about trying some reverse psycho on her? turn the situation around and make her feel like the fool while playing the fool role. trust me if done it before with friends. the can't handle it.

also why do you have to babysit? how old is the cute little brat?
    and are you living on your own? or with your parents?
    ( your story kinda tells me your not a full adult yet and just have to babysit for the hours your parents are away. )

p.s. don't nail me to a cross on that last line:P
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    You guys make it sound like I can ignore her. If she's not happy, not only do I get no money, but also shit from grandparents.
    whats more valuable, sanity or money?

10+ Year Old Account
    Mid-Michigan (Originally Victoria, Australia)
    The only really effective methods of discipline or education have to be worked on long term, and if they aren't being provided by her primary caregivers or educators, then there's realistically no magic trick you can use as a babysitter ><

That being said, she sounds like she needs to learn she is responsible for her own actions. Don't make idle threats, give her choices with real consequences, and if she decides to do wrong, then she needs to live with the fallout. Take away the things she likes as a consequence.

Worse comes to worst, whenever she does something that displeases you, act like she acts. Wail and scream and drag on her leg. And then ask if she thinks you're being stupid. And when she says yes, tell her, well that's how you do it.

She can't withhold her own breath (as many have said), so let her do that as much as she wants.

But yeah, not to diss your parents, but sounds like larger issues you can't really control

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    whats more valuable, sanity or money?
    Money. I've been insane for a while and it hasn't hurt me.

OT: Find some kind of candy she likes and bribe her maybe.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

no you don't ignore her. not giving her attention isn't the same as ignoring her. you need to be aware of what she is doing at all times, but you don't give her anything she would see as attention to her. you give her attention when she is behaving well, and *consequences* and zero attention when she is not. if you're going to keep giving her attention when she is misbehaving, then she's going to keep misbehaving. kids = want attention. they don't care if its positive or negative attention. i have no doubt that when she is clinging onto your leg and screaming, you spend half an hour talking to her and trying to reason with her and she is loving every single minute of it. all kids do. she won't stop until you stop feeding into her.

I am currently babysitting a baby sister from Canada, and I'm really trying to resist the urge to yell at her, lest I suffer parental wrath.

Ignore her, or do what I do, lock them in a room until they relax and concede.
    Take a video when this happens.
    Time out, or lock her in a room as a time out.
    Tell her you can't play unless she behaves.

Can someone help me, without the the suggestion of beating her?
    That's about it really. When I babysit I do not put up with any insubordination. This really only works with kids who are about 4 and up.

Let her 'hold her breathe'. let her decide if its worthy to die over not getting what she wants. it's only fair.
    Sweeter than yo mama's apple pie.

If your grandparents are giving you grief over your little sister not getting her own way, sounds to me like you need to try to have a serious conversation with your grandparents regarding how your sister is behaving.

Letting little kids get away with anything and everything is not a good idea. Put her in time out, if the grandparents ask why, tell them the truth. If she's a little screamer, let her yell it out (just act like you're ignoring her). I know it can be hard, but not paying attention to her yelling, she will eventually stop when she realizes that she can't get her own way.

Give her choices, kids like to think for themselves.

Time outs are a good thing. Taking away toys/games away when she misbehaves isn't the end of the world. Tell her you can't play tea party with her as a punishment for her bad behavior.

When my kids acted like that, they were put on a chair and not allowed to move off that chair for x amount of minutes. If they got up and started walking around, I made them go back to the chair and their timeout started all over again until they actually stayed in the chair. It was rough the first few times, but once they realized I wasn't backing down, they started behaving.

She's seeing how you're reacting to her misbehaving and she's realizing what buttons she can push to make you crazy. Don't let her see it. Once she notices that she's not being an annoying little rugrat, she'll move on.

Editing to add:

Kids also respond to some type of schedule. Maybe she's just bored and can't find anything to do? Give her a book to look at (age appropriate of course). Read to her. Take her outside to play (if that's an option).

Try to make snack time and lunch time around the same time each day

Spend 20 minutes reading to her (also try to make this around the same time every day).

You never really said how old she is, but think of things she likes to do and try to incorporate that into your routine. Then start taking that time away if she starts acting out.

Most kids like to draw and color, maybe that's an option? You could draw and color with her or let her do it on her own and "show off" what she's done.
    Last edited by Madisyn; 2012-09-15 at 04:35 AM.

you got some fairly solid advice, also i suggest if she is being bad "punish her" with food that she doesn't like too much, and let her eat her normal food whens shes being good. though that may not be...well nice.

also she can hold her breath ALL her little heart wants, its quite funny and she cant hurt herself doing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    edit: a bit too colorful
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2012-09-15 at 01:41 PM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then stop watching her. Simple as that. If you can't handle the job, then you're not suited to continue. Especially if your hard work goes unpaid. You tell the parents "Listen, I'm not doing this for free, so either you pay me and be satisfied that I'm actually watching her, or you find someone else who can put up with her." If they continue to not pay you, go to a friend's on days you're supposed to watch her or make plans or something(unless you live on your own, in which case just ignore them when they bring her) so that you won't have to until they meet your demands.

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.