Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Stood in the Fire buddhapunch09's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

"Taliban Afghan attack kills two U.S. troops, Prince Harry unhurt"

http://news.yahoo.com/taliban-attack...215418948.html

I am sorry but i need to get some things clear here.

Why is Prince Harry allowed to be deployed?

You and I both know he will NEVER see combat. Logically all he is doing is provoking attacks, causing others to die.

What is your opinion on this?

Well, he is in the military. they said harry was a high value target, however, he has his duty. Even if it is not combat duty, it is duty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Google View Post
    Well, he is in the military. they said harry was a high value target, however, he has his duty. Even if it is not combat duty, it is duty.
    Wouldn't you think his duty would me more about boosting morale? Or maybe something along the lines of money? He has that kind of power, that advantage...
    I mean... there are more ways of doing a duty. I think if you don't give it your ALL then your duty... well isn't really a TRUE duty. I personally do NOT believe he is doing any kind of duty. To me it seems more like he is doing the opposite. More of a purpose of self benefit rather than a sacrifice...

15+ Year Old Account
    I thought that he has already seen combat...

Able bodied royals have once been on the front lines of battles.

Deleted
    He has seen combat as an apache pilot and I'm pretty sure he got deployed on the ground aswell The thing i'm curious about is why they announced he was going to be deployed when last time they said after had gone.
    Last edited by mmoc42747a85ed; 2012-09-15 at 05:11 AM.

Royals used to lead their military into combat. It's along the lines of don't send your people where you wouldn't go yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfuert View Post
    He has seen combat as an apache pilot and I'm pretty sure he got deployed on the ground aswell The thing i'm curious about is why they announced he was going to be deployed when last time they said after had gone.
    It's also a surprise they announced exactly where he was going to be stationed though I guess they figured it would get out eventually?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Able bodied royals have once been on the front lines of battles.
    You know thats cool and all but why? Look at the person and what they have to loose. Are they really making a sacrifice?

Frankly I think every single monarchy on the planet should be dissolved and eliminated. Everybody should be treated by what they have earned. Not because of which family they were by chance born into.
    You can't fix stupid. But damn it you can troll it!

Quote Originally Posted by buddhapunch09 View Post
    Wouldn't you think his duty would me more about boosting morale? Or maybe something along the lines of money? He has that kind of power, that advantage...
    I mean... there are more ways of doing a duty. I think if you don't give it your ALL then your duty... well isn't really a TRUE duty. I personally do NOT believe he is doing any kind of duty. To me it seems more like he is doing the opposite. More of a purpose of self benefit rather than a sacrifice...
    I'd have said he's doing his duty proving that life-threatening service isn't simply something for the anonymous & un-socially-valued masses. He's not the heir, nor is he "irreplaceable". If the leaders of a country aren't prepared to risk themselves alongside their countrymen, they're not fit to lead imo.

I don't regard military service as obligatory to lead, but I don't think anyone should stand in a future leader's path if that's the way they choose either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having royalty in the military is the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life. He's a giant fucking bullseye for the enemy, it's not worth the risk to his fellow soldiers to have him out there. Stick him behind a desk if he wants to be in the military.

You and I both know he will NEVER see combat. Logically all he is doing is provoking attacks, causing others to die.

Prince Harry has already seen combat as a Forward Combat Air Support Controller ( or whatever the dude is who coordinates air support in small units ). He was deployed previously in Iraq i think but some jerk off reporter blew his cover and gave away where exactly he was stationed. He got pulled out and reassigned. Now he flies Apache's in combat.

His father was a naval officer ( i think ), and his grandfather was also a naval officer who saw combat before ascending the throne prior to WW2. I might have the time line and locations messed up.

The British royalty has a tradition of military service. While the navy might seem safer ( when was the last time we had a full out naval battle in recent memory ), i personally applaud the idea of royalty stepping into military service. I especially applaud the fact that Prince Harry has seen combat and is willing to toe the line again.

Being Canadian it gives me something to be proud of that the monarchy is willing to put forth their sons into harms way the same as the average person. In my mind leadership is defined as someone saying "follow me", I would rather follow someone who's bold enough to step up when needed than someone who steps aside. That goes for the monarchy and for everyday life.

I would love to see Mitt Romney or Stephen Harper make such sacrifices. But they never will.
    Where did you park the invisible car?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lakhesis View Post
    I'd have said he's doing his duty proving that life-threatening service isn't simply something for the anonymous & un-socially-valued masses. He's not the heir, nor is he "irreplaceable". If the leaders of a country aren't prepared to risk themselves alongside their countrymen, they're not fit to lead imo.

I don't regard military service as obligatory to lead, but I don't think anyone should stand in a future leader's path if that's the way they choose either.
    Sure it COULD be threatening. But can you HONESTLY say he gave it all for his country? Wouldn't you think his opinion, money, morale (his advantages) come first in is call of duty? To me it seems he has to prove something. A self benefit (which is not a bad thing) rather than a duty.

I think a good future leader like that wouldn't even consider military service. He/She would be too focused on "how can i help" the cause.
    I think he is also endangering the mission. Lets say he gets captured? Opinions will change and morale will go down, a MAJOR gamble. All for a man who wants to carry a gun...

Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    Having royalty in the military is the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life. He's a giant fucking bullseye for the enemy, it's not worth the risk to his fellow soldiers to have him out there. Stick him behind a desk if he wants to be in the military.
    Tradition, the royal family should be in the military. In days past they led the battle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Tradition, the royal family should be in the military. In days past they led the battle.
    Okay, if its tradition then im not going to argue with you. Im sorry i did not know that lol
    Its just something we will just have to deal with...
    Until then remind me never to stand next to a prince.

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    contrary to popular belief, most people in the military aren't in high risk combat roles
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Okay, if its tradition then im not going to argue with you. Im sorry i did not know that lol
    Its just something we will just have to deal with...
    Until then remind me never to stand next to a prince.
    id rather be next to the prince. Then i know they are shooting at him and not me!

You are assuming he wouldn't know what to do and that his fellow soldiers are forced to throw themselves in harms way to save him. He is trained for battle and has been in combat before.
    Friends: Will help you move.
    Best Friends: Will help you move the Bodies

I think monarchy is stupid Harry should be stripped of his title. There's no point having princes and queens in todays world.