10+ Year Old Account

Selling Mac, building fresh. Need help with financial questions

Ok, so here's the deal. My best friend built his own computer from scratch many times over. He can help me with all the details of parts, where to get them, how to build it, etc. His rig is sweeeet. Anyway, money has been *more* than tight lately, but with MoP coming out, and me finding myself once again the leader of a HM progression raid group, I feel like I almost HAVE to upgrade, as much as my Mac is dear to me, as outside of WoW and work, I'm an amateur and professional artist (in different fields). My mac has been nothing but good to me, and while it has hurt my gaming career, it has vastly improved my life in many other ways. I was thinking about how I couldn't possibly afford a computer, until it hit me. I have to sell the Mac. My original hope was to keep it, and have both, my Mac for what it's strong suits are, and the Rig for gaming. Alas, I don't feel like getting myself devoted to this game again (which I will happily admit I plan on doing, so pumped for MoP) without improving my platform.

I did some quick scoping on ebay before writing this, to get an idea where I might stand. Macs that very loosely fit the description of mine vary from 700-1200 dollars depending on used and refurbished etc. My first question is, are they really refurbished? Or are people just posting really in good shape computers for that? My second question is, if I go to sell this thing, what am I liable for? I don't have the box, or the original documentation. It was a gift. Does that mean I technically don't have the rights to sell it online?

The thing is in good shape. It's an early 2009 17" Mac Book Pro. 4G RAM, 512 mb Video Ram, 320 gig HD. It's not scratched. I have a stand to help airflow that I could throw in for free, dunno if that helps me at all. I don't mind paying for shipping.

So assuming I can legally sell this thing (online that is, I can always ask around, but fuck me sideways that sounds miserable and will take too long), what do you think I can realistically sell this thing for? Based on its specs and conditions, and the prices I scoped out, I'm thinking I can squeeze 900-1000 out of it. But I don't think I want to sell it for less than 800.

What would a good rig run me? I'm not looking to go beyond what I need. What I mean by that is, I want to be able to run WoW, with nothing but maybe iTunes running, at ultra settings, with 60-70 frames per second in 25 man raids. My friends always go out and buy this ridiculous shit that puts them at 180 fps in a 25 man raid with 4 other programs running and 2 screens. I'm like, no fuck that. I just want what will get me where I said I want to be. I think 800-900 dollars can just about cover that right? I have all my other shit, monitor, mouse, keyboard. I just need the box and the guts inside it.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. I'm good at WoW and I'm good with computers, but I'm good at them in a different way lol. (No idea what I'm doing :P )

>>>>>>>EDIT: So I just went back to ebay and I realized if you look at one, you can basically use sliders to indicate the specs you want (Ram, HD space, Processor speed, Processor, etc.). So I entered my specs and it came up with these figures for a 13.3 inch. Remember mine's a 17 inch. Used, starting at : 800. Refurbished, starting at 1,119. Kinda like those numbers. Getting my hopes up?
    Last edited by Tovarish24; 2012-09-15 at 05:39 AM.
    WoW : Burning Blade (H)
    90 Warlock, 90 Shaman, 96+ Mage, 90 Death Knight, 86 Warrior, 90 Hunter, 85 Rogue, 80 Paladin, 76 Priest, 70 Druid, 26 Monk

It looks like it is worth about ~$900, minus ebay and paypal fees, leaving you with about ~$800. That should come close to covering it.

As Apple has canceled the 17" model, there are plenty of people who are looking to get one. I am sure that given some patience and eloquence, you might be able to sell the machine for over $1000. Its not a good buy by all means, as even a current MacBook Air is significantly faster, but some people think that they need that screen size, so its doable. Just make sure that you emphatize that its one of the few chances to score a 17" model, which has been the best, most professional MBP and all that kind of marketing talk. Look at Apple adverts for inspiration I have found out that having a good advert gets you over 10% better offers. Some people have no clue about prices. I remember selling my two month old Galaxy S for more than I actually bough it when it was new. I am usually selling my Macs after 1 year of usage (and then get a new one), and I was always able to get at least 80% of the original price. Which is excellent value, IMO.

I would't recommend you selling on ebay, their fee is very high. Try craigslist (or whatever you have where you live at) or similar first. If you sell on ebay, make sure to time your auction right. That is, it should end around a time when most people are online (usually weekend evening) - so you have a large number of interested buyers competing with each other.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    If you sell on ebay, make sure to time your auction right. That is, it should end around a time when most people are online (usually weekend evening) - so you have a large number of interested buyers competing with each other.

Good luck!
    This makes the biggest difference like you wouldn't believe, highly recommend you following this tidbit of advice as it has helped me seal the deal with auctions and make nice $$$ before

From a consumer's standpoint, i have to say, the chances of someone buying your mac are very slim. The Specs seem to be rather old and their entry level models are close to the price you're looking for.
    That said, you should list it and hope someone buys it. That being said, I honestly think you should aim for something between 850 and 1000, but usually buyers will contact you with an offer.
    Mac aside, I just have to say to inquire on these forums again when you decide to build a new PC - It's just a good idea to get an internet check of the components you buy.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    the mac has useless stats. top i'd pay is 400 dollar, even though it's 17".

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    the mac has useless stats. top i'd pay is 400 dollar, even though it's 17".
    I agree with you, but you would be surprised how many old-school photo or audio "professionals" are out there who think they need a 17" desktop replacement... and Apple discontinuing the line further adds to it. The market for 17" laptops has always been exceedingly small among the Apple users (less than 1% sales), but that particular model has a bunch of passionate followers. It still has very decent screen and speakers + expansion slots.