All spec paladin

Would anyone with a little beta experience mind giving me a run down of the various pally specs strength's and weaknesses? My paladin is my original character but after wishing for ret and ending up as healer in vanilla has long been my "main alt".

I'm considering bring her back as my main in MoP as an all spec (dps/tank/healer in that order) for raiding with and for pvp. Any pally specs that are massively weak at the moment?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Well actually yes and no.

It depends on your guild and your goals. If you're in the race for server first kills, ret has some DPS issues. There is a Thread (http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...y-in-MoP-raids ) covering Ret liability.

Only if your raid is min-maxing everything for server firsts, your class is more important then your skill as a tank. If you're a normal skilled player, it shouldn't really be an issue what kind of tank you play.

Same goes for Holy Paladin. It always depends on your Raid since stacking 3 healer of the same class seldomly works. Having 2-3 different classes should always be of advantage

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mercutiouk View Post
    Would anyone with a little beta experience mind giving me a run down of the various pally specs strength's and weaknesses? My paladin is my original character but after wishing for ret and ending up as healer in vanilla has long been my "main alt".

I'm considering bring her back as my main in MoP as an all spec (dps/tank/healer in that order) for raiding with and for pvp. Any pally specs that are massively weak at the moment?
    I can't see why you can't read the informative guides here and peoples comments and come up with a conclusion yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Azshira View Post
    I can't see why you can't read the informative guides here and peoples comments and come up with a conclusion yourself.
    Trying to decide between about 4 classes at the moment so getting a good grasp on each one pulling bits together from various threads would be a bit of a pain. Maybe a little lazy but I was just after a simple, potted, opinion on where they sit.

With most comments people obviously compare their particular class and spec to others like "my holy feels much easier on mana than my priest" which tells me a bit about holy specced paladins or "ret's ok but not as good as warrior" which tells me a bit about ret spec. Needing to research each spec over a spread of posts would be a little painful whereas a quick opinion on where each spec sits, nicely combined in one thread makes life a little easier.
    Last edited by mercutiouk; 2012-09-15 at 10:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Well as I said before above (and a quote from the thread i linked):

Anaxie: "Unless you are trying to finish a tier for World top 10 the raid comp doesn't matter."

Krekko: "Anaxie is pretty right. I wouldn't worry too much. What matters most is that your knowledgeable and proficient in your class and spec, and you put time into maximizing yourself and your character. I've seen too many people (not directed at OP) complain they aren't getting into raiding groups because of XYZ problems while not doing their research, or complaining and doing nothing to make themselves stand out."

So as long as you do some simple research on your class (stat priority, rotation, do's and don'ts) you'll be fine. In my raidgroup I usually was the 2nd best DD (close behind our hunter), although my ret should have been way more down. We had a mage and a rogue with similar gear, they always were around 5k dps below me and the hunter. So it's mostly not a thing of the class you play, instead it is the way you do your class research and how aware of the fire you should never stand in you are.

TL;DR:

Ret is fine, Prot is fine, Holy Paladin is fine (although a little bit tough with mana handling at lvl 85 at the moment). With the patch 5.04 they cleaned the handling of most classes pretty well and (at least for my shadow) removed many annoying damage and healing dependencies you did have to use. Now it's more forgiving when you do some errors. For instance Retribution paladins can store up to 5 Holy Power now (still use just 3 at once).

I have pretty much every class @ lvl 85, although I play my Ret, Druid and Shadowpriest the most.

---------- Post added 2012-09-15 at 12:10 PM ----------

Small Addendum and a crappy comparison ^^

WoW class comparison is similar as comparing cars. My Lamborghini is 10 km/h faster as Michael Schuhmachers Ferrari, but he will still beats me by far on a race track. Same goes for most classes. On the theorycrafting side Retri Paladins are in the lower end of the DPS-List, yet my raidgroup cleared DS after a while (and i wasn't the guild or raidlead, so I had to get the raid spot).
    Last edited by Funky303; 2012-09-15 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Typos

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mercutiouk View Post
    Trying to decide between about 4 classes at the moment so getting a good grasp on each one pulling bits together from various threads would be a bit of a pain. Maybe a little lazy but I was just after a simple, potted, opinion on where they sit.
    The whole point of the sticky guides is to give a general overview of the spec and where it sits, how it plays, etc. Please review the sticky guides, and if you have any specific questions after that, feel free to create a new thread.

Closing.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!