Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

When does armor start looking cool?

I'm level 30 and my armor on my (big ass) norn warrior looks pretty meh, it just looks like chainmail stuff, and I see people in the post your character screenshot thread and they all look really cool. When does armor start looking awesome? Is it just random karma stuff?

I would say around level 40, my thief is level 38 and I love how he looks. Anyway at level 40 is when you can buy the cultural weapons and armor, also cooler models for weapons start to drop.

Deleted
    For light armor users at about lvl 30. No idea about heavy armor, but you can imagine it's harder to create a good looking heavy armor than the light one.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by worprz View Post
    I would say around level 40, my thief is level 38 and I love how he looks. Anyway at level 40 is when you can buy the cultural weapons and armor, also cooler models for weapons start to drop.
    35 actually. They're 40-80s a piece, so start saving up now!
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by Sammyspudd View Post
    I'm level 30 and my armor on my (big ass) norn warrior looks pretty meh, it just looks like chainmail stuff, and I see people in the post your character screenshot thread and they all look really cool. When does armor start looking awesome? Is it just random karma stuff?
    Erm.. when you start getting cool armor. One of the best looking plate sets for Charr is level 35, but relatively expensive for a new player (somewhere around a gold and a half for the whole set, I think?)
    A lot of players won't want to spend that, though. Karma vendors have some decent sets (well, they did for cloth.. didn't check on my warrior) starting around your level, check the vendors at Kessex.

For medium armor... well, if you like facemasks, then it starts looking cool when you begin getting pirate/rascal stuff.

Other than that, medium armor doesn't really start looking decent until you at least get some nice dyes, or maybe even not 'till you start getting dungeon gear. I feel like ANet dropped the ball a little bit on medium armors. >: Heavy armor all looks very cool, though.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, for my guardian I'd say I started getting the really "cool" looking armor around level 40. At around level 50 I had a full set of the Lion's Arch armor, which I think looks friggen badass with the right dyes.

Q: When does armor start to look cool?
    A: When you stop buying generic armorvendor gear

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexrex View Post
    Q: When does armor start to look cool?
    A: When you stop buying generic armorvendor gear
    My knee-jerk reaction: "HA! This!"

I know I answered earlier, but Karma vendors are also a good source of "cool"-er looking gear as well.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, maybe he was talking about drops. So well, i have the same exact stupid hat from level 30, with the 80 version, passed from blue to green to gold, still the damned same hat lol. So ye, except some particual case and if you're lucky, don't expect a drop to change your armor, even when 80, still the same damned char, maybe with better unpaired pants.
    Find a target of armor you want, follow it.

Deleted
    Get into the habit of previewing everything. I think I found my first nice looking set from vendors around 35 or so but that was light armor.... but some stuff has looked really nice that I didn't expect to, and I didn't preview everything early on which I regret a little now.

When you buy a yellow set from the AH and transmute it? My Mesmer is in Masquerade and my boyfriends Ele is in the Winged set (which is a blue/green set but amazing nonetheless) at levels 20 and 8, respectively. You can transmute higher level things, so don't be afraid to do so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agree, transmute rule After all, is a game of fashionistas, wasn't it?

At level 1 if you have like 5 HoM points :P Otherwise pretty much all gear until mid 50s or higher is pretty crappy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup yup, hom gear at least is cool. I used it till lv34, then i got bored to go there and take the hom texture.

Have you run the lvl 30 dungeon? That heavy set is fairly cool looking, although opinions may vary. As others have said though, spend some time on the trading post and find a set you like to transmute works juts as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstrogue View Post
    For light armor users at about lvl 30. No idea about heavy armor, but you can imagine it's harder to create a good looking heavy armor than the light one.
    Psh, light armor looks cool from level 1 and stays cool. Kassex Hills karma vendors have a very neat look set.

At level 1, potentially (Okay, 2, since you're usually at level 2 when you can actually change your armor). For my alt I just stripped the level 60+ gears of their skin and slapped them onto random low level blues and updated them using transmutation stones every 10 levels or so.

What was time consuming though, was having to google a bunch of names for the armors in the armor galleries (which I also googled).

10+ Year Old Account
    i tend to agree here medium armor is extremly lack luster
    the light armor so far is amazing
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

Quote Originally Posted by Window View Post
    i tend to agree here medium armor is extremly lack luster
    the light armor so far is amazing
    Have you seen the cultural medium armour tier 3 for an Asuran? AMAZING!