Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Did I miss something?

    Kindly read the entire post before responding.

    I understand the concept of server maintenance. I do. (Although as a person who plays both WoW and ToR, I don't understand why it has to be on the same day at the same time.) However maintenance was announced as lasting eight hours, maybe longer, ending on or around 11AM EST. It's currently 12:10PM. Maintenance is still on going and there is no form of status update.

    Is the total lack of status update normal?

  2. #2
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    12,888
    They posted saying that it has been extended with no ETA. So yep, you missed something.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    They posted saying that it has been extended with no ETA. So yep, you missed something.
    Apparently I am. The post doesn't appear on the launcher. Instead it's a link to their website which is also showing as being down for maintenance. Where is this post?

  4. #4
    I thought the same thing, but I knew that they would be extending the maintenance. They really should update the launcher though.

  5. #5
    I saw the post through Facebook, but I'm sure they have it on the forums as well. There are also links on Reddit with that information.

  6. #6
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,912
    It's a pretty big maintenance, so I was fully expecting the extension. But I saw the notice on Reddit as that seems to be where they like to post some news.

  7. #7
    If you check the servers currently, I think its close to going live.

  8. #8
    I saw the post through Facebook, but I'm sure they have it on the forums as well. There are also links on Reddit with that information.
    Actually, as he stated above, the forums are down and the launcher hasn't been updated with a new ETA. That's pretty bad communication two hours after maintenance was scheduled to end.

    But at least they're updating Facebook! Did their post say how much longer it would be?

  9. #9
    Lovely, no warning except through facebook and the likes, FACEBOOK THE SAVIOR.

    Ok enough venting... would be nice if they could post an ETA... RP events and all planned >.<

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer66 View Post
    Actually, as he stated above, the forums are down and the launcher hasn't been updated with a new ETA. That's pretty bad communication two hours after maintenance was scheduled to end.

    But at least they're updating Facebook! Did their post say how much longer it would be?
    The forums are currently up. They have posted everywhere except their forums basically. They have not posted an ETA though.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    The forums are currently up. They have posted everywhere except their forums basically. They have not posted an ETA though.
    That's a negative from my end. Their forums and the rest of their site still show the unavailable message.

    The server selection screen shows only the remaining servers, so fingers crossed.

  12. #12
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    12,888
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer66 View Post
    Actually, as he stated above, the forums are down and the launcher hasn't been updated with a new ETA. That's pretty bad communication two hours after maintenance was scheduled to end.

    But at least they're updating Facebook! Did their post say how much longer it would be?
    Your point is valid on the launcher, but for all I know whatever they were updating to change the server lists affected their ability to edit launcher messages. I think people should be more understanding that this company is using various social media outlets to communicate. I keep asking again, do people expect a phonecall or spam mail updates? They put the information out on several sources, it's not their fault if people have their heads in the sand.

  13. #13
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,912
    Quote Originally Posted by Marverick66 View Post
    Lovely, no warning except through facebook and the likes, FACEBOOK THE SAVIOR.

    Ok enough venting... would be nice if they could post an ETA... RP events and all planned >.<
    Facebook, reddit, and twitter. But yeah an update on the site or launcher would be nice.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Your point is valid on the launcher, but for all I know whatever they were updating to change the server lists affected their ability to edit launcher messages. I think people should be more understanding that this company is using various social media outlets to communicate. I keep asking again, do people expect a phonecall or spam mail updates? They put the information out on several sources, it's not their fault if people have their heads in the sand.
    My only concern was if the lack of communication (as I knew it) was normal, as I JUST started playing last weekend. I was corrected and directed towards their Facebook page, which mostly satisfies my concerns.

    I am still curious as to why most mmo's opt to do maintenance at the same time, on the same day. But that's idle curiosity and nothing more.

    EDIT:
    In my defense, I don't track reddit or twitter. In fact I've never even looked at them. And I only normally use facebook for family. Call me old-fashion if you will.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    My only concern was if the lack of communication (as I knew it) was normal, as I JUST started playing last weekend. I was corrected and directed towards their Facebook page, which mostly satisfies my concerns.

    I am still curious as to why most mmo's opt to do maintenance at the same time, on the same day. But that's idle curiosity and nothing more.

    EDIT:
    In my defense, I don't track reddit or twitter. In fact I've never even looked at them. And I only normally use facebook for family. Call me old-fashion if you will.
    I'd like to think because Tuesday's are the least busy day of the week for most games/businesses. Not as many people normally on during Tuesdays.

    Microsoft also has "Patch Tuesdays" once every month or two. Why Tuesday for them is beyond me?

    The company chose Tuesday because it was not the first day of the week, which typically has its own issues, but early enough that any ensuing problems could be dealt with before the following weekend.
    -- http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com.../Patch-Tuesday seems like as good a reason as any.
    Last edited by monsage; 2012-09-18 at 05:47 PM.

  16. #16
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    12,888
    Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    My only concern was if the lack of communication (as I knew it) was normal, as I JUST started playing last weekend. I was corrected and directed towards their Facebook page, which mostly satisfies my concerns.

    I am still curious as to why most mmo's opt to do maintenance at the same time, on the same day. But that's idle curiosity and nothing more.

    EDIT:
    In my defense, I don't track reddit or twitter. In fact I've never even looked at them. And I only normally use facebook for family. Call me old-fashion if you will.
    I don't use a lot of those sources either, though facebook and twitter I know are available for most game companies. I tend to just come here. The news is posted almost instantly for every game.

    PS - Weclome to the game, you started at the right time!

  17. #17
    FYI they just posted on Twitter that all servers are up again.

    ---------- Post added 2012-09-18 at 02:51 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer66 View Post
    That's a negative from my end. Their forums and the rest of their site still show the unavailable message.

    The server selection screen shows only the remaining servers, so fingers crossed.
    Yea, honestly I only made a Twitter account to follow their updates. I am not really a fan of twitter in general, but since that it where more and more games are doing their outreach... =/

  18. #18
    Servers are up....website is still down however.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Xandrietta View Post
    Servers are up....website is still down however.
    Website is up actually... been browsing it all morning... not sure why people keep saying it is down.

    ---------- Post added 2012-09-18 at 02:56 PM ----------

    Originally Posted by SWTOR
    All servers are now available! Thank you for your patience!

    (Source)

  20. #20
    Pit Lord philefluxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Silicon Highway
    Posts
    2,304
    Its interesting how many companies turn to social media sites for updates. Pretty ridiculous in my opinion and BW and ToR are by no means the only culprits that do this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •