Thread: NYC Marathon

  1. #1
    Legendary! Reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    6,942

    NYC Marathon

    Anyone else participating in this years NYC Marathon on November 4th? What time and color are you?

    I'm starting Wave 1 - Green.

    I'm no world record breaker, not by a long shot ... but hoping to beat my Boston time. I see personal improvement as an accomplishment!

  2. #2
    Mechagnome Deathray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Coney Island
    Posts
    593
    No, but I wish. I'm too young, and my parents would never drive me there.
    Sweeter than yo mama's apple pie.

  3. #3
    I am Murloc! Garnier Fructis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Location:
    Posts
    5,624
    I would love too, but I can't compete because I live on the other side of the country. Good luck! Getting a new PR is always awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Mobius strip still has 2 sides. you can pinch 2 fingers on both sides of the ribbon at the same spot
    Quote Originally Posted by auBerg View Post
    You are a certified crackpot that is subservient to the manipulators of science who are dreaming to control knowledge.

  4. #4
    Stood in the Fire Warpaladin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New York City, Brooklyn
    Posts
    468
    I always thought about doing it, not sure though. I do however want to participate in the Empire State Building run up
    Quote Originally Posted by Unkown
    "The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something"

  5. #5
    LOAD"*",8,1 Fuzzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Legion of Doom Headquarters
    Posts
    20,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Warpaladin View Post
    I always thought about doing it, not sure though. I do however want to participate in the Empire State Building run up
    Did the CN Tower climb a number of years ago. It was pretty hellish on my knee's.

  6. #6
    Stood in the Fire Warpaladin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New York City, Brooklyn
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Did the CN Tower climb a number of years ago. It was pretty hellish on my knee's.
    I could imagine that, it's something I've been wanting to do for years but I just been too lazy >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Unkown
    "The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something"

  7. #7
    Legendary! Reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    6,942
    Quote Originally Posted by Warpaladin View Post
    I always thought about doing it, not sure though. I do however want to participate in the Empire State Building run up
    Heh, I've thought about doing that too. Not sure how I will do with a run up that many stairs...

  8. #8
    Good luck to you, I'd love to do a marathon but right now I'll stick to working my way up to being able to jog for 20 minutes first - but hey, kudos in already hitting the Boston & NY marathons, next stop is to haul ass over for the London marathon!
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

  9. #9
    Legendary! Reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    6,942
    Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    Good luck to you, I'd love to do a marathon but right now I'll stick to working my way up to being able to jog for 20 minutes first - but hey, kudos in already hitting the Boston & NY marathons, next stop is to haul ass over for the London marathon!
    Maybe one day. Travelling across seas isn't in my immediate plans. It would be pretty cool to hit up the big marathons across the world, though.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    34,007
    Not me. The closest thing to anything like that I've done is Warrior Dash, two years in a row even though medically I shouldn't have (lung problem and a bad right knee). Had a blast and actually did really well.

    What was your time the first time?



  11. #11
    Legendary! Reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    6,942
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Not me. The closest thing to anything like that I've done is Warrior Dash, two years in a row even though medically I shouldn't have (lung problem and a bad right knee). Had a blast and actually did really well.

    What was your time the first time?
    Oh, my first time was brutal lol I started off with a faster pace than I should have and ended up 3:52. I have always been a jogger, but had never done anything more than a 10K before. My training wasn't quite as extensive as it should have been. I am going into my 6th marathon now, and my PR is 3:07 in Boston.

  12. #12
    LOAD"*",8,1 Fuzzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Legion of Doom Headquarters
    Posts
    20,351
    Going to move this to the sports forum actually..

  13. #13
    3:07 is a pretty awesome PR. How many miles are you logging per week right now?

  14. #14
    Legendary! Reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    6,942
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravock View Post
    3:07 is a pretty awesome PR. How many miles are you logging per week right now?
    It's pretty average for someone at my competitive level. I want to try to push it, but it I just hope I haven't run into a brick wall. I think if I want to go any further, I'd have to put in more work and get some real training.

    And I have been following a pretty routine 16-week training schedule that was designed for beginners that I used when I first started. I have tweaked it a bit here and there for my own personal goals. I run on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays with rest on the other days. I start off slow at around 18 miles a week and gradually increase every week and then taper off in the final weeks for recovery. Right now I am doing 36 miles a week with Saturdays being my long day.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •