Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Cheap/free travel in GW2

We all know that traveling in GW2 gets us broke. There is a nifty way around it, using the WvW system for getting around the place.
    All that it requires you to do is queue for a WvW and once in just turn around and pick the Asura Gate to Lion's Arch. Lion's Arch is in the middle of the map so it will reduce end to end costs. It also has portals to all capital cities so you can get to the other side of the world almost for free.
    Even if you can cross the world for free, the best use for this is still returning to town and all it takes are a few extra seconds.

Here's a video on how it works if that wall'o'text wasn't good enough.

Give it a like if it helped you.

-----------------------

Another option for this is to go into the Heart of the Mists. You walk more but there's no queue at all.

Last edited by Ichifails; 2012-09-16 at 04:54 AM.

I personally use the Heart of the Mists teleport, same functionality but I dunno. It'd be kind of nice if teleporting to towns was cheaper, or something similar to this being done in one step. Because, yeah...
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    Problem would be queue times, which always seemed a bit high, i think the best solution is to feedback to anet and maybe they should tweak prices. i didnt find it a problem till i blew all my silver on mats and didn't know, got stuck and had to hunt quests

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah. HotM is much more reliable than queuing for WvWvW. No wait at all!

Deleted
    Am I the only one who's really lazy and teleports everywhere?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    i think this is discusssing the financial implications of said teleporting, think some are running out of money and so this is the solution.

I teleport like 50 steps sometimes.XD
    <-- That is otterly adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichifails View Post
    We all know that traveling in GW2 gets us broke. There is a nifty way around it, using the WvW system for getting around the place.
    All that it requires you to do is queue for a WvW and once in just turn around and pick the Asura Gate to Lion's Arch. Lion's Arch is in the middle of the map so it will reduce end to end costs. It also has portals to all capital cities so you can get to the other side of the world almost for free.
    Even if you can cross the world for free, the best use for this is still returning to town and all it takes are a few extra seconds.

Here's a video on how it works if that wall'o'text wasn't good enough.

Give it a like if it helped you.
    Yeah nothing new here, other then the fact there is no que if you go straight to the mists to do the same thing rather then que for WvW. I have been using "The Mists" as a "no CD hearthstone" since well 3 minutes into playing the game after completing the tutorial for the first time on live.

But yeah either way good info to share for people who don't realize these things wither it be not thinking of trying or wither it be they despise PvP and so never even bothered to go to the Mist even once.

Again once you either complete or skip the tutorial of the Mists the first time (and only time since once you do it or skip it on one toon you never see it again on any other toon) its easier to use the Mists instead of the WvW que since well there is no que to go to the Mists and the portal to Lions Arch is but 25 yards away from where you portal in at once you have either done or skipped the Mists tutorial.

Also another thing to point out traveling between waypoints within the capitols cities is free and since the price of travel anywhere leaving the cities is level and distance based you can save a few copper to even at higher levels a few silver just by waypointing to the closest WP inside the city towards where you are wanting to travel and then WPing to your final destination... doesn't save you much in the scheme of things but it does add up over time and it only takes a few seconds at most extra over going directly from the Azura gate to your destination.

Yeah, as others have said, you should use the Mists. No queue at all.

Well, the problem is that atm I'm level 23ish and I don't have too much time to play(I don't know wat HotM is either). I also like the TES-esque crafting system so I end up buying mats from the AH... especially for cooking now that I think of it. I started having money problems and at some point I was broke both in terms of armor and cash all the way in Kessex Hills so I had to walk a bit. This does indeed come in handy since I also port all over the place and saving 50c is like 5silver/10 ports... I have a total of 23s after I saved for a bit so meh.

Never mind found the mists!
    Last edited by Ichifails; 2012-09-16 at 04:45 AM.

Me for sure. Not so much lazy, but I can't just play whenever I want, and my time playing is limited most days. Real life obligations and all that. It would be nice if they either reduced the cost to teleport, or gave us better speed buffs. I get a 10% speed increase using a signet....yeehaw.

Deleted
    yeah. So much for "we don't want mounts in game, it's so much better to walk around the world"
    in fact the teloports are so convenient it practicly destroy all that travel, it's just cheap and lazy design.
    I also think it's way to expensive, single teleport cost as much as 2 dynamic events reward? thats silly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Problem would be queue times, which always seemed a bit high, i think the best solution is to feedback to anet and maybe they should tweak prices. i didnt find it a problem till i blew all my silver on mats and didn't know, got stuck and had to hunt quests
    i ended up in the same posistion, damn me for buying endless amounts of oranges...

---------- Post added 2012-09-16 at 08:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    yeah. So much for "we don't want mounts in game, it's so much better to walk around the world"
    in fact the teloports are so convenient it practicly destroy all that travel, it's just cheap and lazy design.
    I also think it's way to expensive, single teleport cost as much as 2 dynamic events reward? thats silly.
    i agree, sometimes it seems like im just teleport hopping from event to event (read as quest to quest)

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I teleport like a boss between the TP on the top floor and the crafting stations of the bottom floor of Divinity's Reach.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    I teleport like a boss between the TP on the top floor and the crafting stations of the bottom floor of Divinity's Reach.
    And you type /dance too, when arrived?

Jeez if i hate the waypoint travel fee. I'm still wondering who the hell is the idiot dev who was thinking it was a great idea

Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    shrug I'm a cheep bastard and will often run up to a zone away if it will save me coin. Further than that I'll port or if I'm in a hurry to meet up with someone. IMO the price is probalby about right though. you want quick? you pay for it, otherwise you've got 2 good feet, use em. I do kinda think they should have made portaling to any capital city waypoint free reguardless of where your at considering its already free if you dont mind zoneing twice to get there through the mists.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    Agree, i walk too. Only problem is when you're on LA, and you want to join 50+ dungeons, who are pretty far from LA (let's not mention Arah) . And a PUG (nor guildies) have time to wait you 20 minutes walking

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Ashrock View Post
    And you type /dance too, when arrived?

Jeez if i hate the waypoint travel fee. I'm still wondering who the hell is the idiot dev who was thinking it was a great idea
    They want you to travel on foot more where you can stumble on random events by accident etc.
    Its designed so on purpose.
    Besides they really want you to explore, not just port (what majority of people end up doing anyway :P).

As others have said, just go to the Heart of The Mists instead. No need to queue.

10+ Year Old Account
    So i guess i good idea could be some asura portals connected to dungeon entrance portals, after you discover them, activated like a waypoint?
    Rest will be exploration, agree

I should submit it as a suggestion on main forum