High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Build advice please.

Very soon, I'll be ordering parts for a (mostly) new build.
    I want to run a 3 monitor setup. (21-22 inch in size)

As I've said, this will be a mostly fresh/new build. I have a 600W PSU that, if possible, I'd like to use.

I do know a little of what I want however:
    1) A 7950 (I heard Radeons are much easier to do a 3-monitor setup with,I've also been told the 7950 was good enough to max the games I play across 3 monitors (Which are Skyrim, WoW, and source games including TF2. I plan on buying Borderlands 2 soon but won't need to completely MAX it.))
    2) 8GM of RAM
    3) an i5 processor (or AMD equivalent if it's really good)
    4) As stated above, I'm going for a 3 monitor setup, so I'd like 3 of the same monitor (21-22 inch)
    5) An aftermarket heatsink
    6) A case that provides amazing ventilation.
    I have a keyboard and mouse that I'm keeping.
    I also have a copy of Windows 7.

As for a budget: I don't really have any specific amount, but I'd like to keep the cost as low as possible without sacrificing too much performance.

Based on the above, can someone please recommend a good build for the parts I didn't mention?
    Last edited by Krozard; 2012-09-16 at 04:48 AM.

Deleted
    Just updated: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Sample-Builds

What "600W PSU" is it? Manufacturer? Model? Specifications?

1. The 7950 is a very good card and just margins slower than the big-brother 7970. Eyefinity works well, but consider that it is still not "mainstream adapted" and as such many games will require tweaks and "custom patches" to work and look as expected. nVidia Surround is of equal nature, but can be considered slightly worse although the camps are extremely close when it comes to multi-monitor gaming.
    2. 2x4GB is standard and well enough for modern games.
    3. Ditch "i5" - it's merely a name. Look at the specific CPUs instead. Compare FX 8150 with the intel 3570k, 3770k, 2500k and so on. Also, disregard amount of cores, clock speed and so on. Architecture matters more:
    Remember that in 2005 Intel hit 3.73GHz with the Pentium Extreme Edition. Seven years later Intel's fastest client CPU only runs at 3.5GHz (3.9GHz with turbo) but [...] (still) 3x the single threaded performance. Architecture, not just frequency, must improve over time.
    4. Well, I'd personally suggest to look into 3 good IPS screens for more accurate colours, although 120Hz might also be of interest.
    5. There are plenty to choose from. Look into the Xigmatek Gaia as a starting point. If you want to overclock heavily (or just want your system to stay cool and silent), expect to spend up to $50 or more on this component.
    6. Fractal Design Arc Midi.

Marest is pretty much right. I suggest the i5 3570k would suffice and look at the coolermaster HAF series of cases, great air flow.

And while I have nothing bad to say about the 7950, evga currently have a promotion going where their GTX680 cards come with a free copy of borderlands 2, might be worth checking out. Not sure what your budget is so it might save you some cash overall.

Deleted
    - The 3570k is a fine suggestion, but I wanted the OP to do some research him/herself.
    - The HAF cases are not that great - both in terms of airflow and build quality. They are not bad, just not that great as everyone seem to think.
    - I'd flat out suggest against a GTX 680 seeing how close the GTX 670 is. Close to $100 for about 7% better performance on average? Not worth it for the mainstream consumer. I say the same regarding the 7950 vs. the 7970.
    - As for deals, new ones pop up all the time. A e-tailer here in Sweden usually always pop up with offers like "buy this - get X game for free!". Right now they are going with the Radeon 78XX and 79XX series together with a copy of Sleeping Dogs seemingly: https://www.inet.se/kampanj/amd-78xx...sleeping-dogs/

Marest, I just gave the suggestion because of the evga offer and the intent that the OP was going to buy the game anyway. It could save some cash, the 680 is a great card but not really worth the price atm just to upgrade but local prices can differ so i'm not sure.

I have a HAF 932 and my rig runs at just over ambient temps so it's a great case, althugh they tend to be dust magnets.

That being said I respect you and value your opinions, you're a great source and helpful mod on this forum.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Just updated: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Sample-Builds

What "600W PSU" is it? Manufacturer? Model? Specifications?

My PSU is an OCZ Stealth xStream 600W (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817341010

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krozard View Post
    My PSU is an OCZ Stealth xStream 600W
    Based on an FSP OEM unit, this PSU isn't that bad. It just matches the 80+ bronze certification and has acceptable noise and ripple suppression. Don't expect it to deliver more than ~500W on the four 12V rails though (each rated for 18A (?); realistically delivering ~125W each). To my understanding rails 12V1 and 12V2 are combined with a total output of 258W (as are rails 12V3 and 12V4)... Anyway, expect a total output around 516W.

Full review here:
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...y-Review/451/1

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Based on an FSP OEM unit, this PSU isn't that bad. It just matches the 80+ bronze certification and has acceptable noise and ripple suppression. Don't expect it to deliver more than ~500W on the four 12V rails though (each rated for 18A (?); realistically delivering ~125W each). To my understanding rails 12V1 and 12V2 are combined with a total output of 258W (as are rails 12V3 and 12V4)... Anyway, expect a total output around 516W.

Full review here:
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...y-Review/451/1
    Can you maybe recommend a better one then? Or will this still be enough?