View Poll Results: Is this considered exploiting?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Exploit.

    81 68.07%
  • Not an exploit.

    38 31.93%
Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Exclamation Orichalcum Farming - Exploit Or Not?

    I, as well as several of my friends, have put in tickets and sent emails to Anet concerning a possible exploit that many people have been abusing. We started filing complaints around a week ago, but nothing has been done nor has anyone received a response with information on the subject. So, is it not an exploit?

    Let me explain how it’s done for those that aren’t aware. Each server has unique ore spawns. Players mine the orichalcum veins in the Cursed Shore zone, transfer to a different server, and then repeat this cycle until they’ve literally amassed hundreds of gold as a profit. I’ve retained from doing this out of fear of being banned, but after a week of not even the slightest action being taken, I’m wondering if I’ve just been missing out on the riches. Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Laste View Post
    I, as well as several of my friends, have put in tickets and sent emails to Anet concerning a possible exploit that many people have been abusing. We started filing complaints around a week ago, but nothing has been done nor has anyone received a response with information on the subject. So, is it not an exploit?

    Let me explain how it’s done for those that aren’t aware. Each server has unique ore spawns. Players mine the orichalcum veins in the Cursed Shore zone, transfer to a different server, and then repeat this cycle until they’ve literally amassed hundreds of gold as a profit. I’ve retained from doing this out of fear of being banned, but after a week of not even the slightest action being taken, I’m wondering if I’ve just been missing out on the riches. Thoughts?
    I wouldnt count that as exploiting just clever use of mechanics and the free transfers won't be forever.

  3. #3
    Well, telling people how to do it probably won't help.

    Quote Originally Posted by momirmaster View Post
    Although I believe that We never killed osama and OBAMA just used it as propaganda to win a election cause Osama's was probably dead for years I Usually am not gullible.

  4. #4
    Moderator Shamanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    10,512
    They fixed the issue where people could do this using overflow servers but as far as I'm aware, didn't take any action against people. Personally I'd consider it an exploit since it is not the way the game was intended to be played, but I would be surprised if people got banned for doing it, unless it's for telling other people to do it / advertising it I suppose. Personally I still wouldn't do it - no amount of gold is worth even a small risk of being banned to me and quite frankly, I'd rather have no money than know I made it by abusing something unintentional but that's just me.

    I can't help but wonder if this ability will be available in guesting as well and why they didn't think to address it when they addressed spawns on overflow servers.
    Moderator of Professions | General Discussion | Diablo 3 | Guild Wars 2
    Please take the time to read the Forum Guidelines & Sig Guidelines

    Currently playing: No MMOs | Diablo 3 | LoL | Hex TCG | Hearthstone
    Steam | Twitter

  5. #5
    Banned Lucas Ashrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Asia (always around)
    Posts
    554
    Ye, this trick should work while guesting. After all, you log to a new replica of the world you already farmed, with untouched mining points.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Ashrock View Post
    Ye, this trick should work while guesting. After all, you log to a new replica of the world you already farmed, with untouched mining points.
    Realistically nodes are personal, rather then world-bound as they are unique to each individual. So they should essentially be separate from the world.

    In the actual implementation, they're not. Instead they were bound to "home world" at first, hence you could farm them in overflows. Then they apparently got bound to "specific home world and any overflow that will propagate to all overflows". But changing home world still works.

    I guess we know what the next fix for this issue will be.

  7. #7
    Herald of the Titans Abstieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,856
    I would definitely call this an exploit, as it is a very unintended reward from using their server transfers. I'd be safe and abstain.

  8. #8
    Hard to call that an exploit, they're not doing anything you can't do usually. Clever use of game mechanics perhaps, but if ANet bans people for that it's ridiculous, it's worse than banning people for getting the ragnaros mount when it was accidentally 100% drop rate.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    Hard to call that an exploit, they're not doing anything you can't do usually. Clever use of game mechanics perhaps, but if ANet bans people for that it's ridiculous, it's worse than banning people for getting the ragnaros mount when it was accidentally 100% drop rate.
    Jumping from server to server to mine something that is meant to be rare repeatedly? How do you not see the exploit part of that? =P

  10. #10
    I wouldnt do that myself... not interested in getting banned (again ) :P.
    Anet gets all "abuse" of anything under exploit tag...
    Last edited by Rapti; 2012-09-16 at 12:09 PM.

  11. #11
    To be honest, you know you shouldn't take such an advantage of a feature designed to help you play with your lads... It's not that you accidentally got more mines.. You abuse the server system to get so far ahead from other people... Rollback to level 79 maybe or a perma ban in my views. ^^

  12. #12
    Considering they already fixed it with overflow servers, it's obviously exploiting imho. It wasn't intended that way.
    But they'll most likely just fix it once and for all (or it will fix itself as soon as the free transfers are deactivated) and won't ban anyone for it.
    The advantage of the dreamer is that he never has to face the chains of reality.
    Blackhand[EU] - Mistral

  13. #13
    I would refrain from making use of this. It'll most likely fall under abuse of a bug within the game.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    Considering they already fixed it with overflow servers, it's obviously exploiting imho. It wasn't intended that way.
    But they'll most likely just fix it once and for all (or it will fix itself as soon as the free transfers are deactivated) and won't ban anyone for it.
    But they didnt penalize anyone for doing it.

    I find it difficult to say its a punishable offense. Ori in particular is one of those grind materials, infact pretty much all Exotic gear at lv80 is just a big grind. Dont be surprised when people use game mechanics to maximize their grinding. Afterall, its not a bug or anything, this system is working as intented by its design. Now they might reconsider its design, or say "F it, when we get rid of free transfers the problem solves itself".

    If it works with guesting, then either they should disable it or once again accept the fact that when you tell your playerbase they need to grind they will do so in the most efficient and profitable way within the games mechanics.

  15. #15
    Does doing this give you an unfair advantage to other players in the game? If the answer to this question is yes then it's an exploit.

  16. #16
    I'd say not an exploit - but could be an over-sight. I did something very similar in TERA. In TERA you had instances you could choose for the outside world - not dungeons. So, if too many people are farming the same mob - or world pvp will not let you get to where you need to, you could switch to instance 2 of the regular world, or instance 3, or 4. Well, each one had separate node spawns for ore and whatever - I would farm all the nodes in instance 1, then switch to 2 and the nodes would all be there again in the same spots as in instance 1, then I'd do it for instance 3 and then 4. I got a lot of ore like this. But then they changed it so that there was only 1 instance - and only when the population was very very high would there be another instance to jump to.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeltoor View Post
    Does doing this give you an unfair advantage to other players in the game? If the answer to this question is yes then it's an exploit.
    How does it give you an advantage? You sell the Ori for gold? Well, you can also pay money to get gems and convert that into gold. What you are saying would imply that the gemstore is also giving players an unfair advantage, and as such the game is pay to win.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    How does it give you an advantage? You sell the Ori for gold? Well, you can also pay money to get gems and convert that into gold. What you are saying would imply that the gemstore is also giving players an unfair advantage, and as such the game is pay to win.
    You're right, standing in one spot to get a large supply of what is meant to be a rare ore is totally the exact same thing as spending 20$ for 2g.

  19. #19
    Of course it's an exploit. It would be foolish to think this is something that won't be fixed eventually. Until then, do it at your own risk but don't bitch and moan if something happens to your account.
    Top tier 25M progression raiding on 12 hours per week.
    http://www.temerityofwindrunner.com/
    US 15th Garrosh - US 19th Ra-den ** US 19th Sha of Fear

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    You're right, standing in one spot to get a large supply of what is meant to be a rare ore is totally the exact same thing as spending 20$ for 2g.
    1) He is implying that acquiring Ori gives an unfair advantage. All it does it let you craft stuff that doesnt apply to competitive play.

    2) EVERYONE can do this. Pretty sure when its a simple mechanic that anyone can do to benefit from, its not unfair. Thats like saying its unfair because i got Ori from transmuting Mithril, because you just didnt do it yet.

    3) Its not exactly a closely guarded secret of the hacking and goldselling community. This kind of mechanic has been widely known since day1.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •