Poll: Which is the Best Martial Art?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Martial Arts Against Each Other? / Which is the Best?

Hey,
    I'd Just like to see if anyone knows of any martial arts put against each other in Sparring Etc..
    Not Exactly Movies But any intresting Vids with Martial Arts put against each other
    E.G. Kung Fu Vs Tai Chi
    Possibly some links to the video too!
    And Perhaps Vote in The Poll of which martial art you think is best!
    Cheers
    WoW6000

if its just one martial arts against another I'd say hands down BJJ "brazilian Jiu Jitsu". All of those other martial arts do not train in take down defense so they are screwed once a bjj martial artist gets a hold of them.You tube BJJ vs kung fu, karate, kempo etc and see the outcome of those fights. Here's a few links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjK0g-cDJI4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP6fUrqbBTA

this is one of my personal favs. This is a young BJ Penn before he got into the ufc and was a Jiu jitsu white belt beginner going against a judo black belt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk2Bboyfdgk
    Last edited by Ebone45; 2012-09-16 at 09:12 AM.

Once someone starts actually fighting another person, all of their 'martial arts' stuff goes out the window and everyone looks the same. Even with BJJ, submission techniques are submission techniques. They all look the same in practice. I mean you can spend 5 minutes watching UFC to figure this out.

Submission techniques are super effective though so specific training in BJJ is pretty good since it focuses almost entirely on that skill set.

Where is Wing Tsun or Wing Chun (Bruce Lee)????? <-- banned from tournaments because its deadly!

Deleted
    Well I think it depends on the situation (obviously) and what kind of person you are. (Are you thinking about practicing one of these martial arts?)

Because, for instance, Taek won do heavily focuses on kicking and it helps if you are taller/have tall legs and your opponent is smaller, so you can kick from a range and are still able to draw back.

Don't know a lot about the other martial arts though, I've practiced Taek won do for some years, and I've seen some masters doing some wicked stuff

10+ Year Old Account
    Jeet Kune Do

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

10+ Year Old Account
    No Muay Thai or Capoeira on the list?

There is no "best" martial art.

The one with the strongest fighter.

Honestly, it is individuals that matter.. its 90% the person.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post

Pretty sure in "taekwon do" vs "muay thai". The taekwon do guy would get his teeth knocked out 10 times out 10 because they are taught to keep their hands down and not protect their head.

Edit: Also, the reason why "punches to the head are illegal" in taekwon do competitions is because back in the day, boxers used to enter those tournaments and knock everyone out lol.

10+ Year Old Account

That's an oft repeated trope, but there's a pretty strong case to be made that Muay Thai and the other related South East Asian martial arts are mechanically superior to their North East Asian counter parts. It certainly would explain why so many modern compound arts, like Kyokushin, JKD, and Krav have borrowed so much from Muay Thai.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo83x View Post
    Pretty sure in "taekwon do" vs "muay thai". The taekwon do guy would get his teeth knocked out 10 times out 10 because they are taught to keep their hands down and not protect their head.

Edit: Also, the reason why "punches to the head are illegal" in taekwon do competitions is because back in the day, boxers used to enter those tournaments and knock everyone out lol.
    So you think that a really really good tae kwon do fighter is just going to ignore his own logic and pretend its a tae kwon do competition? It's all down to the individual, if the individual in question is that stupid then that individual is going to lose. Every martial artist does something slightly different, and all martial arts are just different flavours of how to fight.

It's all down to the individual.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you think that a really really good tae kwon do fighter is just going to ignore his own logic and pretend its a tae kwon do competition? It's all down to the individual, if the individual in question is that stupid then that individual is going to lose. Every martial artist does something slightly different, and all martial arts are just different flavours of how to fight.

It's all down to the individual.
    So, if you had two people that trained in two different arts but were otherwise completely identical, they'd have a 50/50 split on wins and losses? I doubt it.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

Wow. The amount of people brain washed about martial arts is amusing.
    In a world of deceit, open your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    So, if you had two people that trained in two different arts but were otherwise completely identical, they'd have a 50/50 split on wins and losses? I doubt it.
    But its a theoretical question that can never be answered because it can never happen. No two people are identical, infact one person is never the same, today he will be something different from tomorrow. Not only is it down to the individual, it is down to the individual moment and circumstances.

Pitting martial arts againsts other martial arts is just fluff, the best fighters win, the best individuals.

Also

Kyokushin - Is Japanese Karate, a modified form of Okinawan, no simularities or anything taken from Muay Thai.

JKD - The way of no way, or "Using no way as a way" JKD is basically mixed martial arts, there are no solid forms or patterns, that is the whole point of it, you use what is useful for you and dump the rest, so saying it takes from Muay Thai would almost suggest it holds a form or pattern of doing things, which is against the point of it.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2012-09-19 at 03:05 AM.

It largely depends on the artist. And with that said, the artist with a single martial art for his background will likely lose to a martial artist with numerous arts in his background.

Don't worry about one martial art. Become a student of martial arts, not of just Jeet Kune Do, or Muay Thai, or Wing Chun, etc. You'll probably hear, "This is the way," in every single school, but putting them all together to create something bigger that works for you is the way.

I've been a practioner of Baguazhang/Bagua/ Pa Kua since I was little, having used Wushu and Tai Chi as a foundation. I prefer it as it matches who I am. I did a few competitions for fun, and did fine versus other arts. I feel it is the best, personally. There are also many styles of Bagua, which helps you develop your abilities and adapt. One of the benefits of Bagua, or philosophies, is adaptation. Considering martial arts was, more or less (depending on which one), a way of practicing without weapons (but with the intent of using it; disguise), this is even moreso especially true for Bagua, you're generally taught many varied things (the whole adaptation philosophy).

I know, I know. It's off-topic. But you're asking which is the best, and it really just comes down to opinion. I feel that Bagua is amazing, varied, and adaptive. You can alter yourself to fight most situations, so you would, in theory, have a slight advantage over others (Opinion!!!!).

But to take a more... objective? Definitely going mixed!!! (Even though Bagua does vary, as I've said like 5 times lol). But moreso than being able to adapt and react to the situation, it firstly relies on the person's skill.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I had to choose a "Traditional" Martial Art as the "Best" I would have to say Aikido, as it is really a derivative of JiuJustsu. But for a more accurate choice, I would say "Modern" or "American" Karate, witch typically incorporates training from aikido, tae kwon do, muay thai, kenpo(chinese and japanese), to flesh out the "Weakness" in the "Traditional" form of Karate

Quote Originally Posted by WoW6000 View Post
    Hey,
    I'd Just like to see if anyone knows of any martial arts put against each other in Sparring Etc..
    Not Exactly Movies But any intresting Vids with Martial Arts put against each other
    E.G. Kung Fu Vs Tai Chi
    Possibly some links to the video too!
    And Perhaps Vote in The Poll of which martial art you think is best!
    Cheers
    WoW6000
    You should have seen the K1 when it was going crazy. There was an episode of fight club on Eurosport the other week about that era.
    Bob Sapp (former NFL player) vs Akebono (sumo).
    Mighty mo (boxer - big guy) vs Kaennorsing (muay thai - skinny dude).
    Ho man Choi (huge guy 2m18cm - ssireum, kickboxing) vs Sem Schilt (another huge guy 2m12cm - ashihara-kyokushin karate).

It was getting a little rediculous at that time but pretty funny to look back at

Regarding what is best, I think there is none that is absolute best. There are some more practical styles like BJJ and Muay Thai that will probably help you get to the top of fighting in a ring more easily and some styles will probably never get you there but a Tae kwon do background will probably match the style of in-and-out krav maga more then BJJ which has more ground fighting (and you don't want to do that in a bar fight right? ).
    And a style like Krav maga will probably be more helpfull in situations where the opponent has the upper hand like when you get robbed by somebody with a knife or something. Muay thai fighters defend hits with their body in stead of avoiding the hits. I think with a knife, avoiding a hit is more usefull
    Last edited by Bolson13; 2012-09-19 at 09:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the one that is the best is the one that each individual person might find the most alluring and beautiful to themselves. You gotta like something to excel in it afterall.

As for one martial art vs. the other is a BS question. Kung Fu isn't fighting BJJ, John is fighting Lulukachoo, and clearly Lulukachoo would win.

15+ Year Old Account
    systema

/10char
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.