Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    The big cats are like 3-4 time the size of a Wolf. House cats were not breed from big cats. They would have been domesticated from cats like the Lynx or bob cat. Cats that are already about the size of a house cat.
    this is pretty accurate. a full grown male tiger can be over 800 pounds. that would be an enormous dog. there really is no dog equivalent of the really big cats

My dog used to kick the shit out of my cat. Not brutally, yet, straight up kicked it ass all the time. Used to break it up, then, I found out that cat actually liked it. They basically wrestled, even though my cat mostly lost. It still got some pot shots in. As I remember my cat was on his condo, the dog kept barking at him and sniffing around, dog got her nose too close, and BAM! I heard it from across the living room.

Yeah, cats are brutal. Yet, in most cases a dog would win. Though, not without getting at least painfully scratched or mauled.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    The stereotype itself always gave me questions. I had a dog that loved my cats. She would always hang out with them and would never lay a hand on them. She pasted away 2 years ago

Are dogs who act like this rare?
    Not really, I think it all depends on how the dog was raised - if around other animals, cats even better. But, I also think there is a part of this that reflects directly on your cats - like your dog might've gone nuts if around an unrecognized cat.

The stereotype itself always gave me questions. I had a dog that loved my cats. She would always hang out with them and would never lay a hand on them. She pasted away 2 years ago

It's all about how you introduce the newer animals to the house. As long as no one feels threatened, we haven't had any issues with different animals getting alone
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

Deleted

There are two factors that shape the behavior of a dog:

1.The way you raise the dog
    2.The breed of the dog. Dogs like the Greyhound like to hunt small creatures. He CAN live peacefully with cats, but it's better to stay around them just in case. You don't mess with a strong instinct like that.

Also OP, cats are cats, dogs are dogs, wild cats are wild cats, wild dogs are wild dogs. You cannot compare them like that.

Deleted
    Well, I assume that you are comparing something like a tiger and a house cat and a wolf with a pet dog. The reason there is such a discrepancy in power difference between a tiger and a 'cat' and a wolf and a 'dog' is quite simple.

Typical pet cats come from a completely different subfamily of feline than that of the most recognisable 'big cats'. Tigers, lions, jaguars and leopards come from the 'Panthera' subfamily (the only cats able to roar), where as domestic cats come from the 'Felis' subfamily and are believed to originally be bred from the African Wild Cat:

(When I first saw that picture, I was like "Woah!" because of how much the African Wild Cat looks just like some normal stray cat!)

See the difference between that species and a lion? That's why the difference in strength between Mr. Bigglesworth and Mufasa is so massive.

Whereas the typical pet dog apparently originally comes from the gray wolf which is part of the 'Canis' genus and domestic dogs are still a member of that genus, so they remain quite similar to their wild cousins.

Here's a gray wolf (See how it could easily look like an Alsatian or Labrador after a couple of generations of choice-breeding? You couldn't imagine the same happening very quickly with tigers and pet cats!):

Click to ENLARGE!

Deleted
    I wonder why predators like lions, panthers, and tigers are stronger than wolves and foxes. Yet Domestic cats are the enemies of domestic dogs?
    They are much stronger because they are many times bigger than a wolf,fox, hyena. A wild hounds/dog's strength has never been pure muscle, it's ability to communicate and plan with it's pack makes it strong.

Why is this? What happened to cats when they domesticated that caused them to become weaker than dogs? Also why are dogs even rivals with cats in the 1st place? Did something happen in there natural habitat? I mean if a wolf picked a fight with a lion he would lose. Any idea why wild cats are stronger than wild dogs but domestic cats aren't nearly as powerful as there wild counterparts?
    A domesticated cat isn't weaker than a dog of the same size. Again, size is everything! A domesticated cat has the same tools as their wild counterparts, only in a much smaller scale. My cat weighs 10 lbs, it's a small female cat. She has fought and killed many animals twice the size of her or bigger. When she was younger she used to hunt pheasant, wild rabbit and even chase after the deer fawns, which wasn't of much success i may add.

When it comes to defending her territory, geez Christ that cat is stupid at times...She attacks dogs,humans and other wild predators, be it Shepherds, mastiffs, kids, adults or even badgers she don't give a fuck.. The cat may be a tad stupid at times, but weak? No, that's the last thing a domesticated cat is.

The reason why cats and dogs don't get along is because of territory. It's not enough physical space in our modern society for them to have proper territory, a dogs and a cats territory often overlap and that causes drama and potentionally death for one or both of the animals. They don't hold grudges, it's simply a matter of protecting their property.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    this is pretty accurate. a full grown male tiger can be over 800 pounds. that would be an enormous dog. there really is no dog equivalent of the really big cats
    Closest thing is the Grey Wolf, and they're big, but not tiger/lion big.

That being said, Grey Wolves, and wolves in general, are able to take out animals MUCH bigger then themselves, i've seen a pack of grey wolves take out a bison, and not only are bison huge, but they're very aggressive, and the wolves only suffered 1 casualty out of about 8-9 in the pack.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Quote Originally Posted by dotOrion View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to write off the domesticated cat. One clean swipe at the dog's nose and he'll be thinking twice about chasing said cat.
    This, I have seen home cats make big dogs run away like little girls. And one of our cats were stupid enough to chase him off to neighbour place lol. That was a thing to see. One wild - stupid enough - cat fighting a dog and after 3 fast swipes over dog nose, dog picked up his tail and run like bullet and cat with super duper thick tail after him! I almost died of laughing. After chase was over, cat came back and took a nap while dog needed to get wound cleaned
    Well now when dog see that cat, she just scram into her dog house and it is quiet like wooden plank.

i think it would be the other way around if the cats we have now were raised from big cats like lions and tigers and whatnot you cant really compare the relationship between a wolf and a dog and a cat and a lion because dogs and wolves are much much closer evolutionary wise and can even breed together. i think it would be hard finding a big cat close enough to house cats that could breed together
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

For the same reason a house cat can easily kill a gold fish yet is a small bite size snack for a great white shark. They aren't the same animals just in the same very large general grouping of animals.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i think it would be the other way around if the cats we have now were raised from big cats like lions and tigers and whatnot you cant really compare the relationship between a wolf and a dog and a cat and a lion because dogs and wolves are much much closer evolutionary wise and can even breed together. i think it would be hard finding a big cat close enough to house cats that could breed together
    Bobcat and Serval can breed with domesticated cats. However, there are reasons and good reasons why we don't breed large domestic cat animals. They can't be controlled the same way a dog can and therefor they could potentionally be very dangerous to its owner.
    Would you want an upset lynx in your general area?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    Bobcat and Serval can breed with domesticated cats. However, there are reasons and good reasons why we don't breed large domestic cat animals. They can't be controlled the same way a dog can and therefor they could potentionally be very dangerous to its owner.
    Would you want an upset lynx in your general area?
    Bobcats and lynxes actually make decent pets if obtained from a breeder at a young age and trained properly, they're more docile and submissive than big cats.
    He is the life of guilds he has never joined.
    He once had a noobish moment- just to see what it felt like.
    If he were to beat you in a duel, you would have to fight the strong urge to thank him.
    The Lunar Elders have a holiday in which they honor him.
    He can speak Darnassian. In Orcish.
    He is: The Most Interesting Man in the World of Warcraft.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon View Post
    Bobcats and lynxes actually make decent pets if obtained from a breeder at a young age and trained properly, they're more docile and submissive than big cats.

But yeah, you actually said properly trained. Anyways, i wouldn't want that in my house.

As many others have said, domestic cats tend to be smaller than domestic dogs is because they were bred from similar-sized wild cats and mostly used for eliminating rodents on farms and the like, whereas dogs were bred from larger wolves from a myriad of purposes. Most breed today were specifically bred for traits that would make them useful for a specific activity.

---------- Post added 2012-09-16 at 06:52 PM ----------

But yeah, you actually said properly trained. Anyways, i wouldn't want that in my house.
    Exactly. I'm sure there are many people here who have seen domestic dogs act like this.
    He is the life of guilds he has never joined.
    He once had a noobish moment- just to see what it felt like.
    If he were to beat you in a duel, you would have to fight the strong urge to thank him.
    The Lunar Elders have a holiday in which they honor him.
    He can speak Darnassian. In Orcish.
    He is: The Most Interesting Man in the World of Warcraft.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn View Post
    Well, I assume that you are comparing something like a tiger and a house cat and a wolf with a pet dog. The reason there is such a discrepancy in power difference between a tiger and a 'cat' and a wolf and a 'dog' is quite simple.

Typical pet cats come from a completely different subfamily of feline than that of the most recognisable 'big cats'. Tigers, lions, jaguars and leopards come from the 'Panthera' subfamily (the only cats able to roar), where as domestic cats come from the 'Felis' subfamily and are believed to originally be bred from the African Wild Cat:

(When I first saw that picture, I was like "Woah!" because of how much the African Wild Cat looks just like some normal stray cat!)

See the difference between that species and a lion? That's why the difference in strength between Mr. Bigglesworth and Mufasa is so massive.

Whereas the typical pet dog apparently originally comes from the gray wolf which is part of the 'Canis' genus and domestic dogs are still a member of that genus, so they remain quite similar to their wild cousins.

Here's a gray wolf (See how it could easily look like an Alsatian or Labrador after a couple of generations of choice-breeding? You couldn't imagine the same happening very quickly with tigers and pet cats!):

Click to ENLARGE!
    They aren't just a member of the genus, they're a member of the same species! Dogs are a subspecies of grey wolf, Canis Lupis Familiaris.

Fun fact: the gene that causes black coats in wolves first arose in dog populations.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

What happened to cats when they domesticated that caused them to become weaker than dogs?
    Why would you think cats have ever been stronger than dogs? It looks like you're assuming that humans domesticated big tigers and then the tigers evolved into cats. that's not the truth.

they are rivals because communication between the two doesn't work, easy as that.
    for example waving the tail has a positive meaning for dogs but shows aggression for cats (at least I think it was something like that)

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah, lynx are generally hard to train, I've seen nothing but good things about servals though.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Cats are not really weaker, they are far better adjusted to an independent life, everything about them are tuned to the hunt.
    Ever seen a really fierce female cat? They will kick the living shit out of dogs twice the size of them. When I was little my parents had a female cat and we had to set up signs on both sides of the road so people walking their dogs would pick them up and carry them as they walked past our house, she hated all dogs bar my parents hunting dog, she tolerated that one but she kicked his ass a few times as well.

I don't know why she was like that, all the other cats we had when I was growing up were affraid of dogs, but she would go out of her way to attack any dog, didn't matter what size the dog was.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2012-09-16 at 07:04 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...