Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account

hungering cold....

So from what i understand, Hungering Cold was taken out of the game because most dk's didnt like the cast time and couldn't be balanced without a cast. So im going to assume that if a ability isn't balanced or disliked then its just going to be taken out of the game. I personally did not see this ability to be too strong or disliked all together with or without a cast time. I didnt see how it couldnt be better balanced ether and compared to some abilities in the game, Its really not that bad.
    Last edited by smoke88; 2012-09-16 at 11:33 PM.

The problem was it sucked. Period.

The only reason it was useful at all before in PVP was the Instant Cast, because the slightest stern glare would break it. Once you added a cast-time that not only allowed you to be interrupted - but also locked out YOUR ENTIRE FROST SCHOOL when it was?

It was bad. Horribly, horribly bad.
    Zombie Vampire Werewolf

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with you about the cast time. It made it pretty difficult to actually use it but instead of putting a cast time on it, They could have just made you use it with runic power and decreased the time your frozen. I liked the ability with or without a cast time, but to take it out of the game is kinda disappointing. And i also know that remorseless winter is kinda a improved version of it, but its still good to have something when thats not up to use.

Honestly there's a million things I'd rather have. I don't miss Hungering Cold, it was a shitty CC, easily broken, with a high cost and even when instant at best functioned as a brief AOE interrupt.

Roll a blood elf, get the same except better.
    Zombie Vampire Werewolf

Deleted
    I always believed there was some very specific reasons they removed it.

Now that we know, I don't understand what makes Blinding Light and it's associated balance issues any different from Hungering Cold.

I know we're talking about two different classes, but in term of control, I actually believe ret paladins have a lot more CC than frost DKs. Back then, we didn't have a stun, nor any form of disorientation or whatever. Paladins could hammer of justice and repentance. They can also now slow just as effectively as we do, interrupt, etc.

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something in this whole story.
    Last edited by mmoc63d91da705; 2012-09-17 at 12:25 AM.

I have no idea why they added Blinding Light to paladins, to be perfectly goddamn honest. It's just as bad as Hungering Cold was, so it baffles me.
    Zombie Vampire Werewolf

you still get it in remorseless winter. only downside is you have to wait for 5 stacks which can feel like a lifetime in pvp. at least the freeze from remorseless winter doesn't break from from damage. it will be awesome for rated bgs for slowing down whole packs.

Yes, GC said that hungering cold couldn't be balanced without a cast time, but DKs hated the cast time. So they removed it. Remember HC was not a stun, it was an incapacitate that broke on damage.

Thing is, at the same time, in MoP they gave several classes instant-cast AE stuns. Monks have a 4s (Fists of Fury) and a 5s (leg sweep). Both are instant and on short (25s and 45s respectively) cooldowns. Warriors have Shockwave, which is 4s, also instant, and on a 20s cooldown.

So that argument does not make sense.

HC was fine for an entire expansion without a cast time. It was given the cast time and then taken out because Frost DKs weren't defenseless enough.

Deleted
    hungering cold was rubbish in pvp anyway i never used it i think the only time i did is in the middle of an EOTS battle

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked HC, it was on of the few ACTUAL CC's frost had. Otherwise there was a silence and a slow, and then racials. Not a whole lot of CC, and not very good either. The cast time was bad, but needed at the time. Now that so many others have AoE stuns and the like, I don't see the point in us not getting HC back without a cast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smoke88 View Post
    So from what i understand, Hungering Cold was taken out of the game because most dk's didnt like the cast time and couldn't be balanced without a cast. So im going to assume that if a ability isn't balanced or disliked then its just going to be taken out of the game. I personally did not see this ability to be too strong or disliked all together with or without a cast time. I didnt see how it couldnt be better balanced ether and compared to some abilities in the game, Its really not that bad.
    And your assumption would be wrong, Blizzard took the feedback about HC and decided that they would remove it... period... no assumption from you is needed.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    If you ask me they should have removed asphyxiate and made HC into a talent with 2min cd, no cost, no cast time or made a glyph that would make it free but at the same time reduce the range of it, something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    And your assumption would be wrong, Blizzard took the feedback about HC and decided that they would remove it... period... no assumption from you is needed.
    GC actually said it on twitter. The assumption part is standard QQ of course.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdos View Post
    The problem was it sucked. Period.

The only reason it was useful at all before in PVP was the Instant Cast, because the slightest stern glare would break it. Once you added a cast-time that not only allowed you to be interrupted - but also locked out YOUR ENTIRE FROST SCHOOL when it was?

It was bad. Horribly, horribly bad.
    It sucked because GC fucked it! It was good before but hey, I guess only rets, mages, warlocks, rogues, warriors and priests can't have instant CC that breaks on damage, more or less aoe.

welll for HC its easy to see, there is no middle ground for it. No cast time and its op (though I thought breaking on ANY type of damage cept diseases made it balanced) and giving it a cast time just sucked, plain sucked, I dont care if it was arenas, bgs, etc... unless the guy you were playing was Brain dead you were not going to get HC off. So its either OP or complete suck-Blizz said screw it, why bother trying to balance it, lets just get rid of it. Perhaps blizz could have tried cast time, but you can move while casting, not attack but move while casting- Idk too late now.

I loved the orginal HC and I expect many DKs did, we just have to accept its not coming back and the closest we will get to HC is the level 90 talent.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonSoul View Post
    hungering cold was rubbish in pvp anyway i never used it i think the only time i did is in the middle of an EOTS battle
    Not really, it could be used to get people off your healers for a moment, get people off you, whatever. When the cast time got put on it however, it really became a bit of a shit ability.

Smokebomb into HC was actually our standard FC kill mechanic. This really hurts our PvP viability alot, really dont like it.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    you must be one of the cool kids

10+ Year Old Account
    DK's had Hungering Cold on their bars?