Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Eating Crap, and you wonder why you have a gut?

Why is it that when someone complains about their weight, they hardly recognize that maybe its the way they eat that is causing them to be fat in the first place? Is it because people like this are in denial and don't want to admit they eat like crap? I have a friend who is always talking about how fat she is, and how no guys want to date her. I think she says things like this because she knows I am in shape and she just wants any good looking guy she can get her hands on. I want to just be like: "well if you didn't eat shit all the time, maybe you wouldn't be such a fatass and actually have a boyfriend." (i'm one of her few guy friends, but I wouldn't want to hurt her feelings)

You would think overweight people would get a clue and recognize the real cause of their obesity. Why eat crap, when it leads to so many health problems, not to mention being fat?

10+ Year Old Account
    There are a lot of reasons why people might eat in an unhealthy manner:

- Lack of willpower
    - Depression or sadness (emotional eating)
    - Not educated well on how to eat
    - Too large of portions (even healthy food can be overeaten)
    - Availability of unhealthy components of easy-to-make convenience food.
    - Unhealthy crap is a lot cheaper than healthy home-made foods

It's pretty easy when you're thin and in shape to point the finger, but not everyone comes from the same background. Not everyone can afford to eat the healthiest, and not everyone wants to. Some people even have glandular issues that prevent them from losing weight, or have medical issues that prevent them from exercising to help stay in shape.

I'm quite sure most overweight people know why they are, but knowing why doesn't necessarily break the cycle.

I think you're a little overdramatic. Losing weight is hard, especially for some people, and takes a lot of commitment and willpower. Despite what you and your metabolism are like, some people can eat well (at least better than others) and get no results of weight loss.

Not "eating shit" will help with weight loss but it's not as simple as that.

Deleted
    Sadly genetics aren't fair (no no I wont blame being fat on genetics). Some people can't eat like pig and not gain a pound, others just seem to gain even if they eat not that much. Solution? If you got bad genetics just eat less or excercise more. There is no way around it, don't cry about it, it's the way you are. Ofcourse if you got sick thyroid then obviously it's much harder, but take some medication and just eat less/excercise more. Some people got it harder in life, life sucks.

Because eating crap is not always the reason why somebody is overweight.

Yes, for some people it is, but for many others its not.

Just like I find it hard to gain weight, for others its hard to loose weight. Food addiciton is also a real thing... just like Anorexia nervosa.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I think you're a little overdramatic. Losing weight is hard, especially for some people, and takes a lot of commitment and willpower. Despite what you and your metabolism are like, some people can eat well (at least better than others) and get no results of weight loss.

Not "eating shit" will help with weight loss but it's not as simple as that.
    Absolutely true. It's not easy. Most weight does come down to what you eat, but when you're 25, 30, 35 and you've eaten one way your entire life, it's huge to change it. Huge in so many ways, and eating healthy isn't a sign of being healthy. Hell, being thin doesn't even mean you're healthy.

You can eat crap and not have a gut, you just need to burn off sufficient carlories.

Weight is all about the calories, although eating crap could hurt your health in other ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post

- Lack of willpower

It's pretty easy when you're thin and in shape to point the finger, but not everyone comes from the same background. Not everyone can afford to eat the healthiest, and not everyone wants to. Some people even have glandular issues that prevent them from losing weight, or have medical issues that prevent them from exercising to help stay in shape.

I'm quite sure most overweight people know why they are, but knowing why doesn't necessarily break the cycle.
    This is all true. A LOT of people simply don't know how to eat well. As in they don't recognize what is good and what isn't. I know when I started weight watchers it was hard because I don't have a big background cooking for myself. I didn't really know how to cook or more importantly WHAT to cook that would be healthy. There is a difference between being ignorant and stupid. Lots of people are ignorant. You should help them (if they ask), not belittle.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account

- Lack of willpower

Everything you said I agree with here. The issue I have is when people sit there and complain about it, but yet they are unwilling to recognize the potential causes of being overweight. In the example of my friend, if she were to recognize the problem and make goals to overcome her eating habits and did some exercise, I know she would feel a whole lot better about herself and she would lose a good amount of weight.

It really all comes down to the mind. Mind over matter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    You can eat crap and not have a gut, you just need to burn off sufficient carlories.

Weight is all about the calories, although eating crap could hurt your health in other ways.
    I suspect crap would be rather low on calories. It would be only poisonous and the most disgusting thing imaginable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely true. It's not easy. Most weight does come down to what you eat, but when you're 25, 30, 35 and you've eaten one way your entire life, it's huge to change it. Huge in so many ways, and eating healthy isn't a sign of being healthy. Hell, being thin doesn't even mean you're healthy.
    All true, but it does not mean you can start taking steps to improve and the change comes over time, just like how a person got there in the first place took lots of time. Its all a gradual process.

I weighed 205 lbs in January this year. It was the most I have ever been, and I was unhappy about how i looked. I then and there decided to take steps to reduce the weight and look better. Fast forward 8 months. I am now 185, more ripped and cut than before, stronger, and look a million times better, although i STILL need to lose about 10-15 more pounds to have the real good cut look im going for.

The point is, is that I recognized the need to change. I recognized that the way I ate, and the effort i put into exercise just didnt add up to how I wanted to be. The will to change happened and I'm much better off now as a result.

10+ Year Old Account
    ppl are lazy and in denial and don’t have the mental power the change. Eat less and do more exercise and you wont be a fat bugger. I don’t subscribe to the pussy "oh I cant help been fat, its genetics etc". BS, its plain BS. Go back 10,000 years and live the lifestyle of a caveman, where you hunt for your food. Where survival of the fittest is actually happening. Then you won’t be such a fat lazy bugger, guaranteed. Fat ppl who moan about it, get zero sympathy from me. It's your own fault, and it's down to you to deal with it.

The worst type are the ppl who go on to get gastric bands…are you kidding me!!! Why do we even bother wasting valuable time and resources keeping them alive if it has got to that stage? They are not contributing to society or to the advancement of our race. Get rid I say.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Everything you said I agree with here. The issue I have is when people sit there and complain about it, but yet they are unwilling to recognize the potential causes of being overweight. In the example of my friend, if she were to recognize the problem and make goals to overcome her eating habits and did some exercise, I know she would feel a whole lot better about herself and she would lose a good amount of weight.

It really all comes down to the mind. Mind over matter.
    Well what are they supposed to do, be happy about it? its very depressing im sure, and keeping it all in doesent help.
    If you're unhappy with your job you complain yet you stay? if you're unhappy with your marriege or other things doesent necessarily mean youre gonna quit or are able to fix it right away.

i was unhappy with my fiance for a long time, and i complained about it but i didnt do much about it either. that didnt mean i was too lazy to fix it
    sometimes you just dont know how

The point is, is that I recognized the need to change. I recognized that the way I ate, and the effort i put into exercise just didnt add up to how I wanted to be. The will to change happened and I'm much better off now as a result.
    that's something you can't just force onto someone. Deciding to change a lifestyle is a personal choice. If she doesn't want to change she won't. Helpful nudging or suggesting just doesn't work.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

i got a belly but its mostly because my muscles are shaped in a wierd fashion( of course there are a quite a bit of fat aswell) i am not overweight though so i'll live.

Why is it that when someone complains about their weight, they hardly recognize that maybe its the way they eat that is causing them to be fat in the first place? Is it because people like this are in denial and don't want to admit they eat like crap? I have a friend who is always talking about how fat she is, and how no guys want to date her. I think she says things like this because she knows I am in shape and she just wants any good looking guy she can get her hands on. I want to just be like: "well if you didn't eat shit all the time, maybe you wouldn't be such a fatass and actually have a boyfriend." (i'm one of her few guy friends, but I wouldn't want to hurt her feelings)

You would think overweight people would get a clue and recognize the real cause of their obesity. Why eat crap, when it leads to so many health problems, not to mention being fat?
    I think a lot of them know why they're fat, they just aren't willing to change it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    that's something you can't just force onto someone. Deciding to change a lifestyle is a personal choice. If she doesn't want to change she won't. Helpful nudging or suggesting just doesn't work.
    I would think that when she constantly complains about her being fat is sort of an indication that she wants to change. She just does not want to put in any effort to do so.

Deleted
    That may be true OP, for young people, or atleast for a lot of people, but in the case of my mom, she's fat yes, she can't get fatter or slim, she just can't, even if she tried. Why? Well, she's a 45 year old woman, that does a lot of house work, she does house cleaning on other people's home, and ours once a week, the husband doesn't help at all except siting in the living room with his lap on his damn lap, she cleans the room and crap of 7 cats, she has to iron(make them lean) the clothes, pick up the clothes from outside, and whatnot, and what do you think, from all of this gives her?

Stress. Even with my help she's always stressed. Some people, doesn't matter what age they have, just can't get slim or fat because of stress, this also applies to slim people.

Sometimes it's not about being a choice of eating the x food, or wanting to be slim/fat and do something about it, stress sometimes is the why of the person being fat/slim, but I guess this is a rare case, I really don't know, I'm just giving this example because she is the only fat person I know. :b

10+ Year Old Account
    I allow myself to eat like crap 1-2 times per week. On the days that I allow myself to eat like crap, I also work out the hardest. Run 2-3 miles, 30 minutes of high intensity weight lifting.

So you can eat like crap and still be healthy and fit. You just have to do it right.

Question to OP: Do you think school lunches are of concern regarding nutritional content and healthy choices. I think if you lay a foundation for a healthy lifestyle as children, it's much more likely to produce healthy adults.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    Damn it... you changed your avatar Jaylock.... Anyway. It could be denial, or lack of recognition about what/how an overweight person eats. I am in the lack of recognition group... I never really looked at the amount of soda I drink in a day... I was kind of in shock when I counted it. Anyway, It could also be a case of someone trying to eat better, but still including the less than idea foods. Thus, one might think that they are trying hard, but missing the fact of the junk that is hindering them.
    Lol whats wrong with my avatar? Cant a black guy support Romney?

OT: Yeah, Soda is pure sugar, and it changes into fat pretty quickly in the body. Thats why I drink it, but in moderation. (maybe getting rid of it completely would help shave off a few extra pounds, but its soo good, its worth it to cut in other ways lol)

---------- Post added 2012-09-17 at 04:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    I allow myself to eat like crap 1-2 times per week. On the days that I allow myself to eat like crap, I also work out the hardest. Run 2-3 miles, 30 minutes of high intensity weight lifting.

So you can eat like crap and still be healthy and fit. You just have to do it right.

Question to OP: Do you think school lunches are of concern regarding nutritional content and healthy choices. I think if you lay a foundation for a healthy lifestyle as children, it's much more likely to produce healthy adults.
    I think school lunches should provide healthy alternatives to the menus. I do not think it should be mandated that they only have healthy choices. If a person wants to live and eat unhealthy, they have a right and the freedom to do so. Just don't come crying when you become obese and blame it on other people, or even the government for not making you eat healthy.

The government should not be in peoples lives to dictate what and how they eat. It should be your choice weather you want to do so or not.