Poll: Are you in favor of keeping Cats or Dogs?

Thread: Cats or Dogs?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

cats. dogs are cool, but there are just far too many wild breeds of cats that would be devastating to their natural environment to lose. wolves and coyotes do have a special places in their parts of the wilds, but bears and wild cats can take their places. while i'm not sure how austrailia would fare without the dingo, it would be far more devastating to lose large cats like lions, cheetahs, and leopards. i'm sure my argument can go both ways, i just kind of feel like the cats would wind up having a larger impact in the end.

Deleted
    honestly it would make me sad either way. i wouldn't like to see any animals blow up but for a very few (honestly, what are ticks good for?). i like dogs (often way more than their owners), but have a soft spot for cats. those who don't like them are simply ignorant to their real nature and don't understand them.

Well, I loved my dog and this is a horrible choice, but I'm a cat person so I'll have to vote cat.

---------- Post added 2012-09-18 at 06:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mcstunner View Post
    cats. dogs are cool, but there are just far too many wild breeds of cats that would be devastating to their natural environment to lose. wolves and coyotes do have a special places in their parts of the wilds, but bears and wild cats can take their places. while i'm not sure how austrailia would fare without the dingo, it would be far more devastating to lose large cats like lions, cheetahs, and leopards. i'm sure my argument can go both ways, i just kind of feel like the cats would wind up having a larger impact in the end.
    I think this only affects domestic cats and dogs.

Domestic cats that turn feral are actually a pestilence :P

Deleted
    I would be more interested in the "world wide phenomena" than wether cats or dogs should die/live.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorend View Post
    If you have a cat he'll leave the criminal alone and the guy will be able to steal stuff and leave without fuss. If you have a dog, he'll wake you up, forcing the guy to do stupid things (like shooting you)

It can go both ways when you invent stupid situations like that.
    Actually most of the time the mere presence of a dog will deter a thief before the burglary even takes place. On average a burglarized house is more likely to not have a dog than to be a house that has one. It's not fool proof at all but the presence of a dog is statistically significant.

It can go both ways when you invent the situation, the difference though is that his manufactured situation actually describes what happens on average where yours describes the one every million.

Quote Originally Posted by Switchback View Post
    A cat that has no owner wont try to bite you when you walk near her down the street, a dog will.
    One of my Dad's friends lives out in Amergosa valley and has a "pack" as he calls it of feral cats varying in size from 5-20 depending on how many of them get eaten/survive the winter in a given year. You sir are fucking dead wrong, some of the foulest most ill-tempered animals I've ever encountered who are only allowed to exist because they keep the yard/house clear of snakes, lizards, and mice. In both animals 9/10 times you did something to provoke or bother the animal first before it attacked you the only difference is the potential damage.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2012-09-18 at 07:26 AM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Dogs have evolved alongside humans for tens of thousands of years, and their impact upon human culture is so significant that the idiom "man's best friend" isn't just hyperbole. They've done, and still do, tons of useful shit like, according to the wiki, "hunting, herding, pulling loads, protection, assisting police and military, companionship, and, more recently, aiding handicapped individuals."

What do cats do? They don't do shit, except kill small vermin that often could be killed by dogs anyway. Except for that, cats have never don anything useful for anyone. Dogs are bred to be useful; it's intrinsic to their entire being. For most practical purposes, you could replace almost any housecat with a plush toy and it'd be a better companion than the cat was.

I won't go as far as to say that anyone who wouldn't keep dogs over cats are evil, but I may be thinking it!
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

10+ Year Old Account
    Dogs. It's not that I don't like cats I would very much like one myself but unfortunately im allergic to them If there was a way I could just get over my cat allergies I would get one in an instant. Not only that but dogs seem to listen more and they're more obedient than cats are. Not only that but dogs are playful and always want you to play with them. Cats are more to themselves and do things when they want to. You tell a cat to come to you it'll just look at you and say "whatever..." and keep on walking. Dogs definitely live up to their title "man's best friend" because they really are.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2012-09-18 at 11:13 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Deleted
    I love both animals however if i was picking a pet it would be a dog. They're more interactive and playful, more receptive. Just my opinion

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cats all the way.

15+ Year Old Account
    Dogs are dirty. They don't clean themselves. They can make a serious mess of things. Whenever I pet a dog, and I rarely do because of the following, I have the urge to wash my hands. If not taken care of properly, they stink. They tend to be more aggressive than cats; I have never second guessed walking to a door delivering mail when there was a cat blocking my path. They have to be walked. They're clumsy. They are often way too excited.

It's obvious I like cats more as a pet. Does this mean I hate dogs? Not at all. But cats are clear winners for me.

Cats to me are the awesome roommates than are indepentent and clean up their sh*t; clothes neatly folded and put away in the closet. No leftovers from food, and someone that does the dishes when they're done. They like to be clean and are never late. They like to cook and have healthy meales.

Dogs are roommates that leave everything lying around, need your help with everything they do. Leave food lying around everywhere. Get really excited for something really stupid, drink and smoke which makes them smell. Showers are a big no-no, because they like to sleep in and are often late for school/work. They order take-out every day. Doing the dishes? Only if you help!
    Statix will suffice.

10+ Year Old Account
    How is this poll so close?

I cannot fathom why?

In all seriousness, while I do like dogs, if there can only be one species left alive then Felis catus is always going to come out on top.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who likes dogs? My girlfriend has a chihuahua and if I'm alone I sometimes lock it to another room..

Just kidding, altough I don't like chihuahuas (way too small), other dogs are cool, like dogs that actually are useful

But being also a cat owner, and lover.. Go cats!

Dogs are much more useful, so dogs.

I love my cat dearly, but I'm going to have to go with dogs on this one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like dogs, expect the ones that act like cats.

I also hate people who hate cats. This thread has made my block list so long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Living in the country, my family has had more cats than you can possibly imagine; one year, we had 11 kittens. I love cats to death and they are very much capable of showing their love and affection towards you. Also, one big plus with cats is that you can leave them home alone even for a few days, as long as you make sure that they have food, water and something to do, which my cats do have since they can walk freely in and out of the house (through a 20x20 cm wide, 40 cm long hole in the concrete foundation - burglar proof!). The lack of independence, in that sense, is an important reason to why I probably won't ever get a dog.
    Amateur Photographer studying Mathematics!
    Linkedin - Portfolio

Deleted
    Horribly biased original post, even if I am heavily on the side of dogs.
    But yea, dogs are way better companions, not to mention workers. Cats are equal to ornamental objects, whereas dogs are actually useful.

Deleted
    Dammit! Don't make me think about this from a utilitarian perspective! >.<'

I love both cats and dogs, but I am very much a cat-person overall. But, dogs are far more useful to our species than domestic cats (herding, guarding, tracking, travelling etc), so despite my seeing dogs as generally less adorable than cats, I'd have to choose keeping all dogs over all cats.

Where's the "both" or "either" option?