Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    How is that at all like religion? Nobody's saying we should take the existence of dark matter on faith. In my opinion people are too quick to try discrediting things they don't understand with straws.

What does that mean?
    It means hes read that long ago theory that of the electric universe which completely failed under observation. The Tesla nuts caught on to it and claimed science is holding back the truth and so a conspiracy was born. The electric universe marches on years after it was found to not be able to explain any observations and in fact be wrong about many things by followers who wont accept reality.

As for this. Theres no link to any paper so its all talk. Nothign wrong with talk and nothign wrong with having dreams but theres nothing there that is noteworthy or exciting in any way.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd go on a test flight even if it mean't a 50/50 chance of dying - Science needs Guinea pigs.. Plus it would be a huge achievement in my so far mundane pointless life

Quote Originally Posted by Torian101 View Post
    If we start seeing evidence of aliens that use the name "Khan" or "KHAAAAAAAAAN"...

We're fucked.
    Wasn´t he just a genetically engineered human ?

WTB first space ticket off this rock PST!

If they can produce enough gigawatts of electromagnetic flux, it is possible to reach the speed of top quark.

Quote Originally Posted by IRunSoFarAway View Post
    If they can produce enough gigawatts of electromagnetic flux, it is possible to reach the speed of top quark.
    Only if the flux capacitor is calibrated right :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    prepare for unforeseen consequences
    Like we did with CERN? haha
    ha

Give it 100 years+ and we'll have some kind of warp drive.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Even if we master fusion (which we will rather soon) or master matter-antimatter annihilation (antimatter is the costliest material in the universe to make, by the way, several hundred billion dollars per gram), it wouldn't be enough because the only differences between those are how efficient the matter-energy-conversion is. In nuclear fission, you get less energy because less mass is turned into energy, while in fusion, about 1/4 of the mass in every reaction is turned into energy. Matter-antimatter annihilation gives a 100% energy conversion. But, as i said, this wont really be enough. You'd need to convert a planet the size of Jupiter into pure energy to generate a field strong enough to propel a ship at speed of light. Which is kind of a slow speed if we're talking about warp.

Quote Originally Posted by Frah View Post
    It means hes read that long ago theory that of the electric universe which completely failed under observation. The Tesla nuts caught on to it and claimed science is holding back the truth and so a conspiracy was born. The electric universe marches on years after it was found to not be able to explain any observations and in fact be wrong about many things by followers who wont accept reality.
    I didn't realise it's an actual crackpot. Just googled it and it is such bizarre nonsense... The sun's a ball of lightening? What? >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    You'd need to convert a planet the size of Jupiter into pure energy to generate a field strong enough to propel a ship at speed of light.
    There is not enough energy in the universe to do that.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-09-18 at 08:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Recent research conducted at NASA by Harold White at the Johnson Space Center and presented at the 100 Year Starship Symposium shows that, by altering the shape of the warp bubble to resemble a cigar rather than a circle, the amount of energy required to accelerate a spacecraft to 10 times the speed of light can be brought down drastically, to about 1 metric ton.[14] White is attempting to take the first steps toward a full-scale implementation of the technology by warping spacetime in the laboratory by a small amount.
    1 metric tone? :S That somehow sounds like a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    prepare for unforeseen consequences
    You were an unforseen consequence.

Stop being such a baby. Without science, we all die horribly, guaranteed. Racial extinction, death of the sun, end of all known sentient life- all these things are guaranteed without science.

---------- Post added 2012-09-18 at 08:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Wasn´t he just a genetically engineered human ?
    Yea, Trek hated on the idea that we would improve ourselves biologically.

Infracted
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-09-19 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    You were an unforseen consequence.

Stop being such a baby. Without science, we all die horribly, guaranteed. Racial extinction, death of the sun, end of all known sentient life- all these things are guaranteed without science.
    Well, this'll teach Wells to make references to a well known video game on a video game forum.

Well, this'll teach Wells to make references to a well known video game on a video game forum.
    I know right? The reference was perfect too.

That's one of the best lines in a video game ever from one of the best characters.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll be honest if the possiblity of Warp Drive would ever become a reality, I would personally do just about anything and everything to support it, I consider myself a Star Gazer and I really have always looked up at the stars and wondered what or who might be staring back, and if maybe they want to make a new friend. Great Post!

I didn't realise it's an actual crackpot. Just googled it and it is such bizarre nonsense... The sun's a ball of lightening? What? >_>

There is not enough energy in the universe to do that.
    And what do we know about that ? people that think like that, is the ones holding us back, there can´t be anything with that much energy becouse we don´t know about it, becouse we are the all knowing humans and the stuff we can´t do is impossible, its not that no one have figured it out yet.

Heard the Earth is flat and in the center of the universe and fire is magic that only the strongest wizards can conjure.
    Last edited by Raven; 2012-09-18 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    And what do we know about that ? people that think like that, is the ones holding us back, there can´t be anything with that much energy becouse we don´t know about it, becouse we are the all knowing humans and the stuff we can´t do is impossible, its not that no one have figured it out yet.
    The energy required to accelerate something to the speed of light is infinity. I'm not sure how you propose to find infinite energy, but even if the entire (observable) universe is converted into energy it's still going to be finite. However, it doesn't hold anyone back to say that. Rather, the whole rationale for the Alcubierre drive is to bypass the insurmountable energy requirements of light speed travel.

It's nice to have an imagination, but this indignation at inconvenient realities really doesn't help.

Deleted
    The energy required to accelerate something to the speed of light is infinity. I'm not sure how you propose to find infinite energy, but even if the entire (observable) universe is converted into energy it's still going to be finite. However, it doesn't hold anyone back to say that. Rather, the whole rationale for the Alcubierre drive is to bypass the insurmountable energy requirements of light speed travel.

It's nice to have an imagination, but this indignation at inconvenient realities really doesn't help.
    Easy, it's not accelerating something to light speed thereby sidestepping that particular problem.

The drive is based on the idea that spacetime itself can expand faster than the speed of light, something it seems to have done already in the early universe. If we can replicate that effect then the starship itself would be inside a bubble of normal space, with the drive warping things outside. The ship itself doesn't reach speeds anything near light speed, but instead warps space itself to reach it's destination.

I'm struggling to think of an analogy but I guess you could think of a surfer, with the board moving slowly relative to the wave but that wave moving at high speed towards the shore.
    Last edited by mmoc0fe7b0b3bd; 2012-09-18 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arcadius View Post
    Easy, it's not accelerating something to light speed thereby sidestepping that particular problem.
    Yes, that's what I just said...

Rather, the whole rationale for the Alcubierre drive is to bypass the insurmountable energy requirements of light speed travel.

Deleted
    Yes, that's what I just said...
    Indeed you did, sorry I fell into the trap of reading the first part of your post and then being distracted before replying.

Quote Originally Posted by arcadius View Post
    I'm struggling to think of an analogy but I guess you could think of a surfer, with the board moving slowly relative to the wave but that wave moving at high speed towards the shore.
    The best analogy I can think of is a vacuum tube. But that one does not have the expanding behind it and shrinking before it.