Prot Pally looking for some critiques on gems, enchants and reforging please

With the changes for MoP upon us, I've made an effort at re-forging my existing gear to be more MoP friendly.

Keeping in mind the 7.5% Hit & 15% Expertise but not sure if it's actually do-able if we're not level 90. The best I can come up with is 9.95% Expertise.

I've altered my rotation to get the Weakened Blows with my Hammer of the Righteous and tab target & spam Crusader Strike & Consecration & Holy Wrath until I need to refresh the WB.

Can I ask for a critique of my gear/gems/enchants/forging with some suggestions to improve? The guild's going to start running MoP 5-mans soon with raids to follow shortly there-after and I want to be sure I'm as best as I can be.

Thank you

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...dspally/simple
    Last edited by sandspally; 2012-09-18 at 04:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Want to link an armory profile? ^.^

Are you going for avoidance (parry/dodge all the way) or mitigation (hit/mastery > haste, etc)? If you're going for mitigation, haste is more valuable than expertise. Exact stat weights will have to depend on your current gear, and some of the more knowledgeable people here can help with the numbers.

Don't concentrate on TDR calculations whatsoever, because even if haste shows a minor improvement over expertise in average damage taken, the real consideration in playstyle is controlling burst, and being able to more predictably generate holy power is how you do that. Being able to generate x% more HoPo per unit time on average due to haste is a throughput damage scheme, and is identical in long-term effect to gearing avoidance, as it does not address being able to survive short isolated incidents that threaten you and stress healing.

I would not worry about hitting hard expertise cap, but depending on what gear pieces you have, you should reliably land in the 8-10% range.

Your priority should be to work out how to get your hit cap most accurately, via taking off avoidance preferentially. Then once that is established, reforge everything that isn't mastery to expertise.

Gemwise, you can kind of adjust to your taste, but I find anecdotally with the increased risk of burst exposure now that block is two roll, gemming for socket bonuses might be a waste of time, outside of activating your meta and possibly lighting up +30 stat items. Again that's highly subjective and based on the content you're doing, but in an environment where burst exposure is an issue, there is nothing wrong with stamming up everything.

My overall impression though with the "active mitigation" regime, is that the accuracy of your play >>>>>>>>>>> minute gear decisions. Granted DS is now nerfed beyond recognition, but to give you an idea how much more important the buttons that you press are now, I did a guild alt run single-tanking heroic Deathwing on a toon that would never even get into a regular DS pug based on ilvl alone. I wouldn't necessarily sweat having to do your gear up exactly right, just follow some basic guidelines and know what you're doing and why you're doing it.
    Last edited by underdogba; 2012-09-18 at 04:47 AM.

Thanks to everyone that replied - I appreciate it.
    Amazing we're using PARRY? Sigh...
    Off to the reforger - at least my gear is loaded with Parry that i forged out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sandspally View Post
    Thanks to everyone that replied - I appreciate it.
    Amazing we're using PARRY? Sigh...
    Off to the reforger - at least my gear is loaded with Parry that i forged out.
    Parry is on a much kinder DR curve than Dodge now, so if you're going for avoidance stats, parry > dodge.

Do take a look at another similar thread from another poster - there are some good advice that may be relevant to you:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-I-doing-wrong