Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Out of curiousity, are you using the drivers that came on the CD for the cards, or the newest drivers from nVidia?
    Have you installed all the drivers from the motherboard?

I know you said you disabled SLI. Have you tried running each card individually, to see if maybe there's an issue with one or the other?

Have you checked temperatures with the CPU and cards with CPUZ?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesington View Post
    Hi MMO-Champion.

I just bought a new computer and it arrived yesterday, plugged everything in and loaded up WoW.

I'm disappointed with the performance I'm getting considering the machine I bought is extremely high end. Sitting in Stormwind right now, running at 1920x1080 with everything on Ultra and only pushing 30-40fps? Any ideas or is this what you'd expect from this machine.

Can't post links so this is the comps specs:

CPU: i7-3960x overclocked to 4.2ghz
    Mobo: Gigabyte G1-Assassin 2
    GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 680 running in SLI
    Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16gb (4x4GB)
    SSD: Intel 240gb (WoW is on here)

Thanks for your input.
    Do you have the newest Nvidia Drivers? If you do that might be the problem. The newest driver for some reason sucks with the GTX 680 (i have the same card).

Use the shipped drivers or 305.67. The difference is quite big. In Guild Wars 2, with the 305.67 driver i stay at 60fps and rarely drop from it. With the new driver i was constantly hovering around 20fps or lower.

If that's not it. Make sure you have the 6 pin power connectors in all the way on your cards... something so obvious could be the problem.

Update:

Just tested Skyrim on Ultra everything max'd out. I think the game vsyncs to my refresh rate so I bumped it up to 120hz. Was pushing 120 FPS with little to no drop. Looking to be like a WoW issue.
    Last edited by jamesington; 2012-09-18 at 06:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was pushing 120 FPS with little to no drop. Looking to be like a WoW issue.
    Have you tried running WoW at the 'default' to see its performance in what it picks?

Also, are you running in "Full Screen" or "Full Screen Windowed"?

I've been running in windowed full screen. Just hit the recommended button and was put into windowed mode with everything on ultra lol. Still sitting at 50-60fps with 120hz refresh rate v sync disabled on the recommended.

10+ Year Old Account
    Totally off topic but...I'm not gonna lie, I came into this thread expecting a completely different topic lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Have you tried playing the game with no addons? Also, Have you tried deleting WTF, Cache and Interface files? If not, it could really help you out.
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

If you're only getting 40 fps in Elwynn where there aren't too many people around, you definitely have a problem. My computer is worse than yours (but still decent) and I get a stable 60 in most zones.

If it's just low fps in Stormwind / Orgrimmar with lots of other players, don't worry too much about it. It's the engine.

Yeah its a bit strange. Now in WoW I'm bouncing around different FPS levels between 30-60, seems to idle at 40. Almost wondering if there is a setting somewhere which tells it to not just blast out performance unless required?

15+ Year Old Account
    I thought this was about ED from the title, tells you how bad commercials are for you.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krytz View Post
    No,it isn't..

I've gotten over 800FPS while looking straight into a wall on WoW. so, bruh. you stop telling lies.
    L2ReadPatchNotes..
    Frame Rate: A maximum capacity of 200 frames per second has been added.
    Source: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/game/patch-notes/3-3-3

Hi MMO-Champion.

I just bought a new computer and it arrived yesterday, plugged everything in and loaded up WoW.

I'm disappointed with the performance I'm getting considering the machine I bought is extremely high end. Sitting in Stormwind right now, running at 1920x1080 with everything on Ultra and only pushing 30-40fps? Any ideas or is this what you'd expect from this machine.

Can't post links so this is the comps specs:

CPU: i7-3960x overclocked to 4.2ghz
    Mobo: Gigabyte G1-Assassin 2
    GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 680 running in SLI
    Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16gb (4x4GB)
    SSD: Intel 240gb (WoW is on here)

Thanks for your input.
    Apols if someone already suggested it, but are you running the game fullscreen?
    SLI doesn't really function if you run windowed. You could also try turning off the Windows AERO theme (namely the transparent window frames).

Some time ago I was running GTX 480 SLI and I don't remember exactly what kind of performance I was getting but it was better than that. If you stand in orgrimmar you'll probably never get much more than 40fps with everything on ultra because you have a billion people and their shadows + models & shit around you.

Also I think nVidia hasn't really optimized an SLI profile for MoP patch yet, at least in beta I wasn't getting very spectacular performance on the GTX 480 SLI setup either. That was some time ago though, so I'm not completely sure about that. Running a single HD 7970 at the moment.

---------- Post added 2012-09-18 at 08:08 AM ----------

Also it might be nothing, but in the most recent Tomshardware article they actually found out that being in Elwynn forest turns out the lowest framerates anywhere:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...k,3297-13.html

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm running a single 460, no SLI, and getting 50fps in Org right now. Granted, it's the middle of the night, but there are still 50+ people in render range.

There's definitely something wrong. We'll need more reply info first.

I copied WoW over from my previous comp so it kept all my old settings, I suppose only other option is complete fresh install?
    Turn all addons off and delete:

wow\cache
    wow\data\cache
    wow\wtf\config.wtf

Reinstalling the game is not necessary.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightgloom View Post
    Apols if someone already suggested it, but are you running the game fullscreen?
    SLI doesn't really function if you run windowed. You could also try turning off the Windows AERO theme (namely the transparent window frames).

Some time ago I was running GTX 480 SLI and I don't remember exactly what kind of performance I was getting but it was better than that. If you stand in orgrimmar you'll probably never get much more than 40fps with everything on ultra because you have a billion people and their shadows + models & shit around you.

Also I think nVidia hasn't really optimized an SLI profile for MoP patch yet, at least in beta I wasn't getting very spectacular performance on the GTX 480 SLI setup either. That was some time ago though, so I'm not completely sure about that. Running a single HD 7970 at the moment.

---------- Post added 2012-09-18 at 08:08 AM ----------

Also it might be nothing, but in the most recent Tomshardware article they actually found out that being in Elwynn forest turns out the lowest framerates anywhere:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...k,3297-13.html
    His pc doesnt need anything disabled, he has an i7-3960x only $1000 processor and the "fastest" consumer enthusiast cpu on the market, still 40-50 is normal in SW, outside of SW 60+ np w/ vsync enabled.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    still 40-50 is normal in SW, outside of SW 60+ np w/ vsync enabled.
    In busy cities yes, but 40fps in Elwynn Forest (post #17) is not normal.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Reinstalling the game is not necessary.
    It's not necessary, however it's possible the game might be corrupted in some way. I had an issue where I would get disconnected every time I changed characters. Reinstalling fixed this issue. It wouldn't hurt to reinstall, to rule that out and say "Nope, its not that"

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    His pc doesnt need anything disabled, he has an i7-3960x only $1000 processor and the "fastest" consumer enthusiast cpu on the market, still 40-50 is normal in SW, outside of SW 60+ np w/ vsync enabled.
    I know that, but SLI doesn't function with windowed mode enabled no matter what CPU you have, its a limitation of the system itself

What happens if you play around with the Shadows, AA (1x-8x) and draw distance settings?

Wow isn't super-optimised, and it's an old engine, with code still left in the game from the 1990s. A lot of players close to you, and your framerate will tank with ultra shadows. Sadly. Either way, there should be improvements to be made.

Try doing what vesseblah recommended.

---------- Post added 2012-09-18 at 01:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nightgloom View Post
    I know that, but SLI doesn't function with windowed mode enabled no matter what CPU you have, its a limitation of the system itself
    I believe that is Crossfire only, but I haven't run SLI personally, so I do not remember.

Thanks for all the reply's everyone. Servers down so I can't go and have any more tests, however I'm running huge FPS in League of Legends and Skyrim but no change with WoW. Will do all you suggested and repost what happens. Will be doing 0% HM DS clear tomorrow night so will post back after that to evaluate performance.

Hopefully I can post links now, this is the CPU-Z validator thingo that I ran. If you think running any other tests for you dudes to look at would be helpful let me know! http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2514534