10 man raid composition - no melee viable?

Would there be any problems running a 10 man raid with no melee aside from tanks?

Not really. Melee has always been a liability anyway.

EDIT: Although if you have a hunter, he may be sad about his lack of buffs.
    Last edited by Superlolz; 2012-09-18 at 08:31 AM.

I wouldn't say so, you would just be at a disadvantage when a fight pops up where Melee are superior ... Which of course is absurdly rare, but they do pop up here or there.

Only other things would be a couple of debuffs which would result in the tanks pulling a bit less DPS (Phsyical Vulnerability, Melee Haste), but tank DPS is never going to make or break a fight anyway.

Oh and of course you'll have more classes sharing the same gear, instead of having a couple of Plate DPS in the mix, or a plate and leather Melee.
    Last edited by Daverid; 2012-09-18 at 08:36 AM.

There shouldn't be any major problems, you might need an interrupt for some fights but other classes can cover that.
    My addons:
    Announce Interrupts: Announces in chat when you interrupt a spell.
    Tol Barad Reminder: Reminds you to queue for Tol Barad by printing a message when the battle is approaching.
    EasyLogger: Turns on /combatlog inside raid instances, and off outside.
    Simple class resource bars: Paladin Rogue Shaman Monk Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Daverid View Post
    I wouldn't say so, you would just be at a disadvantage when a fight pops up where Melee are superior ... Which of course is absurdly rare, but they do pop up here or there.
    Yeah we we're trying to think of fights where melee dps was required, but none came to mind. Have any examples?

Even on a fight where melee are superior (cleave targets) an all ranged DPS group would still down it.

It sucks that once your raid comp starts to lean toward melee heavy it starts being an issue, but if your leaning towards ranged its a non issue.

My guild usually goes with no more than 2 melee in a 10 man run (2 melee, 3/4 ranged, 2 tanks, 2/3 healers, with a healer/ranged dps who switches). Unless we have the content on farm or there is a buff/nerf to make the content easier we find if we have 3 or more melee we struggle with the fights as the mechanics dont allow for it, as for example adds need to be kiting due to them applying debuffs or explode when they die. These are problems for melee, but not for ranged classes.

A fight like Magmaw or Saurfang are easily doable by an all ranged group. But are nigh on impossible with an all melee comp. They are doable with an even mix.

Ranged DPS also have an easier time dealing with AOE pools on the ground too.
    Last edited by Cernunnos; 2012-09-18 at 08:46 AM.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by friedrice821 View Post
    Would there be any problems running a 10 man raid with no melee aside from tanks?
    No, no real problems with doing it. It's not ideal, but you wouldn't be overly punished for it; any mechanics that require you to stack up will hit DPS a little due to movement, but now even hunters have no problems with doing that (minimum range gone). In general, I tend to think that two melee is enough if you have five damage dealers, while three is okay if you have six.

More is probably pushing it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by friedrice821 View Post
    Yeah we we're trying to think of fights where melee dps was required, but none came to mind. Have any examples?
    Latest I can recall is Anub 25 hc, lol. Isn't it cool that Blizz introduced Monk which is melee dps not ranged. After MoP im eagerly waiting for some plate melee dps, would be so cool as theres not enough. Also it must be able to tank as 4 tanks is not enough when you bring 2 to a raid.

Feeling a bit sarcastic...

>>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBoUH...eature=related
    speaks for its self pretty much .... sadly melee gets no love from blizzard since you can just be replaced with caster dps ...

the only issue i always find is its hard to find range dps sometimes and there are alot more melee running around

Deleted
    Only reason to get melee is gear distrubtion. Having 5 cloth casters is going to be an issue if you don't want to run around in half dungeon gear.