Thread: Antagonist RPG?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Despite View Post
    Goodluck with dungeon keeper, i couldnt find a copy at all. Dungeon keeper 2 you might be able to find, but 1 was so much better imo.
    DOing it wrong, fella. When you want to find an old game, the first place you look at is gog.com. You won't need a second place to look from because you found it there, with major bugs fixed and upgraded to work on modern machines.

10+ Year Old Account
    May i suggest Gothic 3, as you can choose to either help the good guys or fuck them over by joining the orcs. You can also pretty much jump between the factions if you want.

The Star Wars game that someone mentioned is The Force Unleashed, I didn't play it myself though, so can't say if it's good or not (it has a sequel now, too, btw).

Aside from that, Baldur's Gate series let you play an evil character, though for me the "evil" choices are often going into territory of Stupid Evil.

So do Vampire games, Bloodlines and Redemption, in a way. (they aren't related, though)
    Well, you're an undead monster no matter how you act, but you can pick the more, or less, humane choices and such, depending on your preferences - I don't remember how it's treated in Redemption (aside from influencing your possible ending choices, not saying anything else, so I don't spoil it), but in Bloodlines, your Humanity has various effects on the game. Both are rather heavily action packed though, not sure if that's your cup of tea, scratch that, blood. ;-)

10+ Year Old Account
    Prototype, at least in the first part. Didn't play the second yet.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Demoneq View Post
    So do Vampire games, Bloodlines and Redemption, in a way. (they aren't related, though)
    Well, you're an undead monster no matter how you act, but you can pick the more, or less, humane choices and such, depending on your preferences - I don't remember how it's treated in Redemption (aside from influencing your possible ending choices, not saying anything else, so I don't spoil it), but in Bloodlines, your Humanity has various effects on the game. Both are rather heavily action packed though, not sure if that's your cup of tea, scratch that, blood. ;-)
    I don't remember Redemption very well but I've replayed Bloodlines multiple times and I don't really see that game as letting you play a villain protagonist. The "villain" paths still have you helping a large number of decent people and the "good" paths still have you helping a large number of indecent people. I feel the game really drives home how hard it is to be pure good or evil and still be successful.

Which is probably why the best ending is the neutral one. Too good or too evil gets you either blown up or sleeping with the fishies.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidgazer View Post
    Um, no. The quotes you provided only confirm what I said before.
    Protagonist/Antagonist label depends on point of view, like you said. But like the person you're disagreeing with said, let's not nitpick; the "good guy/bad guy" differentiation is a socially acceptable way to look at things too, and we know that's what OP was asking about.

Let's stay on topic here.

Wizardry IV: The Return of Werdna falls right into this trope. However, it was released in 1987.

Breath of Fire IV uses this trope partly. You regularly play as Fou-Lu, who is main antagonist.

Baldur's Gate II offers some opportunities to play game in more... antagonistic way. Expansion, "Throne of Bhaal", has nothing about morale or anything - you are to claim your godplace, evil or good.

Arcanum - you can play this game how you want. It was made on Fallout engine, but it offers more freedom in what you are doing, so you can play this game in very unusual ways.

Disgaea I, III, IV. Partly fits that trope (you can't take plot in these games too seriously ).

Might and Magic VII fits that trope very well. You have a choice midgame - if to follow Light or Dark Path. Each Path has it's own quests, including class promotion quests. Of all games I listed, I'd strongly recommend this one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    I had this sudden urge yesterday to play an RPG where you play as the antagonist - the bad guy. I can't really think of a great deal of them though. Can anyone recommend a (few) good one(s)?

It has to be available for one of my working machines though, which would be a PC, PS2, XBOX (the first one, not the 360), or the SNES. Yes, I have a working SNES console and fortunately I know a great guy halfway across the country who can acquire pretty much any cartridge I ask for. :P

Anyone care to help me out?
    I have the perfect game for you. You need to play Soul Nomad. Theres an Extra story line that you can play after you beat the game that lets you start over called " Demon Path " On this play you end up turning into a crazy evil guy with 1 goal. Kill everyone. This time around all the Bad guys join your party instead of your friends. You do some insane stuff. Killing childern is only the start. Gald i could help.

Edit : Its on PS2 :P
    Last edited by Reclaimer; 2012-09-20 at 03:44 PM.
    Remember, A Man may break a Woman's Heart - But a Woman will destroy a Man's life. - SJK @ the #Antiwokenessworld

Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn View Post
    The KotOR games allow you to be quite the asshole and, on top of that, are pretty freaking amazing and the Blood Omen games in the Legacy of Kain series have you play Kain, a self-serving, egotistical megalomaniac who is hell bent on acting vengeance on those who took away his life/throne (depending on the game) and then ruling over the world of Nozgoth with his vampiric empire, driving free humans to the point of extinction and rearing enslaved humans for food.

Granted that in Blood Omen a lot of the enemies you kill are just as if not more evil than Kain, but he himself can hardly be considered a nice guy. LoK isn't strictly an RPG, it's more a hack'n'slash with a very immersive, albeit sometimes overwhelming story, great characters and the occasional costume change that make it feel like an RPG at times. I thoroughly recommend those if you are looking to let out your wicked side. >=3
    I've played the Legacy of Kain series and it has to be my favorite, though in Defiance Kain has become more of an anti-hero than an antagonist. He is trying to fulfill his destiny (which I won't spoil here go play the series it is fantastic) he just takes ruthless means to attain it.