Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Your point is valid on the launcher, but for all I know whatever they were updating to change the server lists affected their ability to edit launcher messages. I think people should be more understanding that this company is using various social media outlets to communicate. I keep asking again, do people expect a phonecall or spam mail updates? They put the information out on several sources, it's not their fault if people have their heads in the sand.
    What if I think Facebook, Twitter and Reddit are the devil. They are social networking sites and I really don't like them or like to support them in any way shape or form. I avoid them like the plague and I consider them in no way an official outlet. Something on the website or in the launcher is what I expect. Other MMOs website and forums do not go down for maintenance at the same time server do for this very reason. Servers down, if launcher does not tell me why I go to official forums to see, not some site for people who don't have friends IRL so need to pretend they do on the internet or a site that revolves around me telling the entire world what I am doing every second.

    One more example of BW showing they do not know what they are doing.
    Rift - Lathais@Deepwood - 60 Rogue / Arrieleah@Deepwood - 60 Mage
    Check out this guide Guide for fresh 60's: The One Level 60 Guide - Updated for 2.5
    Check these out:Gaming/Computer Glasses
    My Multi-Touch Table Project

  2. #22
    Dreadlord Vexies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    Posts
    978
    One more example of BW showing they do not know what they are doing.
    I want to point out that this has been the way they have done it since oh.. I dont know release? But I gather you dont care and will be upset anyway. They explained that it had to do with the way there system works. Im not a tech guy I dont pretend to know nor do I care but its they way they designed it. As for the social media argument.. hey its what companies do now and you will see more of this not less. I do however agree that they should keep the client updated if possible though.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    What if I think Facebook, Twitter and Reddit are the devil. They are social networking sites and I really don't like them or like to support them in any way shape or form. I avoid them like the plague and I consider them in no way an official outlet. Something on the website or in the launcher is what I expect. Other MMOs website and forums do not go down for maintenance at the same time server do for this very reason. Servers down, if launcher does not tell me why I go to official forums to see, not some site for people who don't have friends IRL so need to pretend they do on the internet or a site that revolves around me telling the entire world what I am doing every second.

    One more example of BW showing they do not know what they are doing.
    Not wanting to use various forms of social networking is your own choice. The fact (sadly) is that more and more game companies are using them as a primary way of interacting and delivering news to people. It is definitely not just a Bioware thing.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    My only concern was if the lack of communication (as I knew it) was normal, as I JUST started playing last weekend.
    Yes, their lack of communication is normal. Hence the 1 day notice that many original destination servers are being merged with other servers. Get used to it.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    Yes, their lack of communication is normal. Hence the 1 day notice that many original destination servers are being merged with other servers. Get used to it.
    Again that's not lack of communication, that is lack of communication on a time scale you want. They have been saying for months mandatory character transfers would be here before the end of summer (summer ends this weekend). They told us the day before. You might have wanted to know all the details sooner, but the fact is they still communicated all the information for it before it happened.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexies View Post
    I want to point out that this has been the way they have done it since oh.. I dont know release? But I gather you dont care and will be upset anyway. They explained that it had to do with the way there system works. Im not a tech guy I dont pretend to know nor do I care but its they way they designed it. As for the social media argument.. hey its what companies do now and you will see more of this not less. I do however agree that they should keep the client updated if possible though.
    Regardless, he brings up a valid point when it comes to the lack of information on the launcher. Blizzard tells you on their launcher when they have to extend their maintenance. Trion keeps you informed throughout their maintenance process through the Rift forum. The fact is that many people would never think to look at FB, Twitter, Reddit or any other number of outlets that aren't directly linked to the game they play or the company that makes it. Hell, there's so many people out there that don't even know what the hell Reddit is. Fact is, I didn't even know who they were until they and 4chan made the announcement they were going to moderate child pornography off of their websites.

  7. #27
    Having SWTOR up during WoW downtimes might be a good marketing strategy to get people to actually play SWTOR every once in awhile. At least every time WoW servers go offline.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Again that's not lack of communication, that is lack of communication on a time scale you want. They have been saying for months mandatory character transfers would be here before the end of summer (summer ends this weekend). They told us the day before. You might have wanted to know all the details sooner, but the fact is they still communicated all the information for it before it happened.
    Just like the complete lack of communication about the first round of server merges.

    The truth is that 1 day to communicate a big change is a ridiculously small window. I'm going to guess that you're not married because I know that if I came home and told my wife that we were changing something drastic with 1 day notice, she would kick my ass. It's communication in the smallest sense of the word. Let's face it. This isn't a decision they just came to yesterday. It was made a while ago, hence the test server on the PTS. That means it could have been communicated at least a week ago. So, no, 1 day notice is not "communication".

  9. #29
    Old God Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    10,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    What if I think Facebook, Twitter and Reddit are the devil. They are social networking sites and I really don't like them or like to support them in any way shape or form. I avoid them like the plague and I consider them in no way an official outlet.
    Have fun in your hermit cave, as most technology and businesses are adpoting this. No insult intended, just stating the truth. I'm not an advocate for them myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Other MMOs website and forums do not go down for maintenance at the same time server do for this very reason.
    False. Blizzard servers are completely derped for every single one of their games when they are deploying major content patches. (including the forums and official site)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Servers down, if launcher does not tell me why I go to official forums to see, not some site for people who don't have friends IRL so need to pretend they do on the internet or a site that revolves around me telling the entire world what I am doing every second.
    I underlined how you just explained why these companies use social networking in order to communicate with the entire world.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    One more example of BW showing they do not know what they are doing.
    One more example that they are in touch with their actual player base, instead of people shunning internet services, and so in fact have more knowledge on what they are doing than you want to give them credit for.

    The simple truth is more people are connected to the internet and social media via an array of devices. The prevalence of tablets and smart phones with apps for easy and quick navigation of these services, means this is EXACTLY why they would communicate on there. It's fine if you have a personal vendetta against them, but it doesn't change that this is the best and smartest way to operate in 2012 and beyond.

    In regards to the launcher, yes it should be on there. As I said before, I don't know if updating (which brings down the forums/website) affects the way they can update the launcher. Every company doesn't program the same.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    Just like the complete lack of communication about the first round of server merges.

    The truth is that 1 day to communicate a big change is a ridiculously small window. I'm going to guess that you're not married because I know that if I came home and told my wife that we were changing something drastic with 1 day notice, she would kick my ass. It's communication in the smallest sense of the word. Let's face it. This isn't a decision they just came to yesterday. It was made a while ago, hence the test server on the PTS. That means it could have been communicated at least a week ago. So, no, 1 day notice is not "communication".
    Actually they gave us a ton of information when they did the original Character Transfers. It took up a ton of my time compiling all that info. Here's a link to jog your memory http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...cter+Transfers

    They might have been able to communicate it sooner sure. The fact is they still communicated (keyword) before it happened thus they did communicate the info. Just because it isn't timely doesn't mean it isn't communication.

    Their problem is that they sometimes wait WAY too long to release info, or they release what they are working on WAY too early. They can never seem to get that part right. It's an issue of effective communication or timely communication depending on how you look at it.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexies View Post
    I want to point out that this has been the way they have done it since oh.. I dont know release? But I gather you dont care and will be upset anyway. They explained that it had to do with the way there system works. Im not a tech guy I dont pretend to know nor do I care but its they way they designed it. As for the social media argument.. hey its what companies do now and you will see more of this not less. I do however agree that they should keep the client updated if possible though.
    I know they have done it since release. It does not upset me really that they use it either, it's just that it seems to me that that should be in addition to more official sources. You would think with todays technology it could be a simultaneous release. They post something to the launcher, it automatically via a script posts to the facebook/twitter/reddit sites. It just seems to me that the launcher/website should be the first, or at least same time as "non-official" BW sites.

    I know they explained it has to do with how their system works, which is why I say they don't know what they are doing. Why design it that way? When you realize it's a problem, why not fix it? I am not really a tech guy either, but it seems silly to apparently have them both in the same place on the same server sharing resources.

    Not wanting to use various forms of social networking is your own choice. The fact (sadly) is that more and more game companies are using them as a primary way of interacting and delivering news to people. It is definitely not just a Bioware thing.
    From what I have seen, they are the only one where that is the first, and in some cases only, way of getting that information.

    ---------- Post added 2012-09-19 at 12:00 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Have fun in your hermit cave, as most technology and businesses are adpoting this. No insult intended, just stating the truth. I'm not an advocate for them myself.

    False. Blizzard servers are completely derped for every single one of their games when they are deploying major content patches. (including the forums and official site)

    I underlined how you just explained why these companies use social networking in order to communicate with the entire world.


    One more example that they are in touch with their actual player base, instead of people shunning internet services, and so in fact have more knowledge on what they are doing than you want to give them credit for.

    The simple truth is more people are connected to the internet and social media via an array of devices. The prevalence of tablets and smart phones with apps for easy and quick navigation of these services, means this is EXACTLY why they would communicate on there. It's fine if you have a personal vendetta against them, but it doesn't change that this is the best and smartest way to operate in 2012 and beyond.

    In regards to the launcher, yes it should be on there. As I said before, I don't know if updating (which brings down the forums/website) affects the way they can update the launcher. Every company doesn't program the same.
    Now that is almost just plain out bashing. I never bashed people that do use such sites, just that I choose not to use them. I'll look for it again though I doubt I will find it but my Dad was showing me a few weeks ago a poll on MSN or some other popular internet site asking people if they used facebook or other social media sites. Not counting the fact that they may have in the past and stopped, it was an astounding number that said no. Something close to 80% if I recall. These are people that do use forums, do use the internet for lots of other information. They just feel that social media sites are a complete waste of time. Telling me to crawl back in my hermit cave is rather insulting, just because I do not use social media does not mean I do not text my friends, talk to my friends, meet friends out in the real world, go to parties, go out and shoot pool once in a while, go hang out at a bar to watch a game, or hang out online in a game with my friends. If anything, from my experience, heavy facebook users are more of a hermit than I am because they sit there at home doing nothing but facebook and farmville.
    Rift - Lathais@Deepwood - 60 Rogue / Arrieleah@Deepwood - 60 Mage
    Check out this guide Guide for fresh 60's: The One Level 60 Guide - Updated for 2.5
    Check these out:Gaming/Computer Glasses
    My Multi-Touch Table Project

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    Its interesting how many companies turn to social media sites for updates. Pretty ridiculous in my opinion and BW and ToR are by no means the only culprits that do this.
    With the amount of people which do have smartphones and twitter or facebook apps on them... it's much easier to get your informatin there than refresh their website over and over. If you don't have a smartphone nor access to these websites, I guess you might have a problem.

  13. #33
    Old God Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    10,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Now that is almost just plain out bashing.
    I guess you missed this incredibly important part of text: "No insult intended"

    This isn't a base dismissive statement for me to somehow 'get away' with insulting you, especially since I followed up saying I'm not an advocate of social networking myself. That would mean that I have the same opinion as you as a personal stance on social media. I just have the ability to step outside of my own personal views and completely understand why they use them.

    And I'm sorry, but I don't believe any data that says 80% of any sampling of people in a progressive society don't use any social media. That's really besides the point. I am sympathizing with you with the little spot of levity, but don't agree with your disapproval of the company using this method.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I guess you missed this incredibly important part of text: "No insult intended"

    This isn't a base dismissive statement for me to somehow 'get away' with insulting you, especially since I followed up saying I'm not an advocate of social networking myself. That would mean that I have the same opinion as you as a personal stance on social media. I just have the ability to step outside of my own personal views and completely understand why they use them.

    And I'm sorry, but I don't believe any data that says 80% of any sampling of people in a progressive society don't use any social media. That's really besides the point. I am sympathizing with you with the little spot of levity, but don't agree with your disapproval of the company using this method.
    I also re-clarified that it is not that I disapprove of them using it. It is that I disapprove of it being the first and in some cases only form of communication. Despite saying no insult intended, it seemed rather harsh, as did the rest of the post after you said that. Then again, every post I read from you seems harsh. I'll have to try to dig it up, I briefly looked last night, however, what I did find was that Facebook has 955 Million users, many of which are not people but corporations. There are over 7 Billion people on the planet. Sounds like most do not use it to me.
    Last edited by Lathais; 2012-09-19 at 02:20 PM.
    Rift - Lathais@Deepwood - 60 Rogue / Arrieleah@Deepwood - 60 Mage
    Check out this guide Guide for fresh 60's: The One Level 60 Guide - Updated for 2.5
    Check these out:Gaming/Computer Glasses
    My Multi-Touch Table Project

  15. #35
    They use twitter allot for info, i can recommend following them there
    https://twitter.com/SWTOR

  16. #36
    Old God Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    10,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Despite saying no insult intended, it seemed rather harsh, as did the rest of the post after you said that. Then again, every post I read from you seems harsh.
    Just because someone disagrees with you or other people doesn't make them harsh. It sounds a bit oversensitive tbh. I reread my post and don't see where I'm being harsh, just because I disagree with everything you are posting. In fact, I used the same logic you directed at the company back at you. Maybe this is where things are getting lost in translation? If you were being intentionally harsh towards the company, I can see where you would misinterpret me using your language patterns.

    And let's be honest, online video game companies are not marketing to the 7 billion people on the planet, most of which don't have the capability to be attached to the internet. If 955 Million people use facebook and the company has 1M subscribers, I think it's a fairly safe gamble that the majority of their subscribers use online networking/news outlets.

    I don't feel the need to add unicorns and sunshine to every sentence where I'm telling someone they are wrong, I don't believe them, or I don't agree with them. If it gets misinterpreted as harsh, I can't really do much about it. People can think I'm an asshole. Unfortunately sarcasm and humor have no translation in a text only world, so it is very hard for me to get across that I am all about debating, arguing, and discussion even though I have no problem with you as a human being.

    I'm sending you unicorns and rainbows today, in an attempt at conveying that I am not in the slightest bit angry or out to insult you. Pew pew, rainbowcorns.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Just because someone disagrees with you or other people doesn't make them harsh. It sounds a bit oversensitive tbh. I reread my post and don't see where I'm being harsh, just because I disagree with everything you are posting. In fact, I used the same logic you directed at the company back at you. Maybe this is where things are getting lost in translation? If you were being intentionally harsh towards the company, I can see where you would misinterpret me using your language patterns.

    And let's be honest, online video game companies are not marketing to the 7 billion people on the planet, most of which don't have the capability to be attached to the internet. If 955 Million people use facebook and the company has 1M subscribers, I think it's a fairly safe gamble that the majority of their subscribers use online networking/news outlets.

    I don't feel the need to add unicorns and sunshine to every sentence where I'm telling someone they are wrong, I don't believe them, or I don't agree with them. If it gets misinterpreted as harsh, I can't really do much about it. People can think I'm an asshole. Unfortunately sarcasm and humor have no translation in a text only world, so it is very hard for me to get across that I am all about debating, arguing, and discussion even though I have no problem with you as a human being.

    I'm sending you unicorns and rainbows today, in an attempt at conveying that I am not in the slightest bit angry or out to insult you. Pew pew, rainbowcorns.
    Calling someone a hermit is an insult and harsh. Starting off with that, even qualifying it with no insult intended, makes the whole tone of the post seem harsh IMO.
    Rift - Lathais@Deepwood - 60 Rogue / Arrieleah@Deepwood - 60 Mage
    Check out this guide Guide for fresh 60's: The One Level 60 Guide - Updated for 2.5
    Check these out:Gaming/Computer Glasses
    My Multi-Touch Table Project

  18. #38
    Old God Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    10,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Calling someone a hermit is an insult and harsh. Starting off with that, even qualifying it with no insult intended, makes the whole tone of the post seem harsh IMO.
    If that's the case, fair enough. I didn't go far enough to iterate that I included myself in that group and it's where sarcasm/humor is completely uninterpretable in a forum without clearly specifying it. I tend to type as I speak, which doesn't help the matter. In any case, take it as a small concession that I stated in another thread that my desire on retirement is to live on a mountain away from society with just connection to the internet for gaming.

    I am completely with you as a hermit from social networking. Hopefully that clears things up, because either I'm insulting all of us or none of us..and I don't mind being self-depricated. If that wasn't enough to rectify the situation, feel free to PM me as the last couple of our post have drifted entirely off topic.

    In any event, sorry for the unintended offense.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Your point is valid on the launcher, but for all I know whatever they were updating to change the server lists affected their ability to edit launcher messages. I think people should be more understanding that this company is using various social media outlets to communicate. I keep asking again, do people expect a phonecall or spam mail updates? They put the information out on several sources, it's not their fault if people have their heads in the sand.
    No one asked for phone calls or spam mail updates, it was simply suggested to keep the launcher updated which you admit is a valid point of concern. I can only imagine what would make you put words into people's mouth just to argue with them and insult them. Leave all that stuff out so these forums can be a nice place visit. I think you're trying to help and I can admire that. Next time just relay the important information without the verbal abuse, rather than omit the key information and include only the verbal abuse.

  20. #40
    Kitty doesn't need any help on this, but I'm going to go ahead and say all I'm seeing is his/her logic and reasoning going right over certain individuals heads. And I'm astonished by it...

    OT: I agree that the launcher should be the ideal location for these types of updates, however, I'm also very well aware of all of the other outlets I can check for updates if I don't have access to said launcher. It's simply where we as a technological society.
    I quit the game, and this happens:
    "You can now mount while under the skeleton effect of the Noggenfogger Elixir!"
    Are you effing kidding me?!?!
    ******
    Remember 3.0.......

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •