Poll: Will we make contact?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorillane View Post
    I'll play along because its interesting to talk about.

What would another intelligent species want to do with us anyhow? Resources is a no go, please tell me what Earth has that other planets don't. Diamonds? Gold? Rare metals? Water? Its already been proven water exists on mars which is right by us. Theres water EVERYWHERE. Gold and Diamonds sit on meteors and asteroids bigger than the russian reserve that could supply mankind for 3000 years (Article on that somewhere) Conquering is not needed. If they have tech to get here from ligthyears away, they can synthetically create materials or pull an asteroid into a ship and squash it to get trillions of carats of whatever it is they need. (Anyone read about the private sector trying to find a way to land on an asteroid to start doing this sort of work?)
    I'm sorry I lack the articles for you to look further into that, perhaps someone can provide it.
    Pretty much this which is why I laugh at all the movies where aliens come for our resources.

However, they may like our organisms. Discoveries in bio tech can be wondrous.

EDIT: Diamond article

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Globa...sh-in-diamonds
    Last edited by zEmini; 2012-09-18 at 05:51 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Alien? Perhaps. Intelligent is another story of statistics.
    That's a good point, I could conceive of landing a probe on Europa in the next 50 years, and I could conceive of there being some sort of ecosystem there, sulfur-metabolizing perhaps. I can't really imagine them having much to say, linguistically or culturally, but I'm of the opinion that many more of our own planet's life forms are deserving of the title 'intelligent' than are generally granted it. I'd be extraordinarily surprised, stunned, amazed, mind=blown to find anything with the intelligence of an octopus though.

Wookies from Kashyyyk or Borg from wherever they're from warping in for a chat or an invasion? No, I don't think so.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Waifu View Post
    You seem to know, so its public. or is it just tinfoilhatting
    Tinfoilhatting for sure.

Although I do believe that there is some other species or some kind of life form outside our galaxy, or even inside of it, I don't think we will be in contact with one anytime soon, atleast not the general public.

It's been years since we have been trying to go to space and colonize other planets. We can't even go to Mars, I think, and making that possible takes a lot of money and time, and going to Mars is something we probably won't see for atleast more 100 years to come I believe, if not more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorillane View Post
    I'll play along because its interesting to talk about.

What would another intelligent species want to do with us anyhow? Resources is a no go, please tell me what Earth has that other planets don't. Diamonds? Gold? Rare metals? Water? Its already been proven water exists on mars which is right by us. Theres water EVERYWHERE. Gold and Diamonds sit on meteors and asteroids bigger than the russian reserve that could supply mankind for 3000 years (Article on that somewhere) Conquering is not needed. If they have tech to get here from ligthyears away, they can synthetically create materials or pull an asteroid into a ship and squash it to get trillions of carats of whatever it is they need. (Anyone read about the private sector trying to find a way to land on an asteroid to start doing this sort of work?)
    I'm sorry I lack the articles for you to look further into that, perhaps someone can provide it.
    Slaves to do their bidding?

Anyhow if aliens exist, I doubt we would run into them. The universe is huge. It would be like finding needles in a haystack.

Quote Originally Posted by Togarox View Post
    Slaves to do their bidding?

Anyhow if aliens exist, I doubt we would run into them. The universe is huge. It would be like finding needles in a haystack.
    Yeah that could be another thing. But wouldn't they be a bit ahead in robotics too? In ways to identify where materials are, refined and perfected ways of extracting etc. Its all a possibility.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's far more likely that we'll find the ruins of a civilization or some civilization will find the ruins of ours. It is far from clear that our civilization will make it through the Great Filter that is technology and I imagine that the same applies to most other species.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

Deleted
    One day yes, but not in my lifetime. Unless that is extended by some genetical or artificial means to hundreads of years.

I think it'd be cool. The problem is IF we were it'd be more likely them making contact with us. Then they'd look at how silly our race conducts themselves, shrug and leave group.

I do think that we will not be able to mostly because we measure everything in money and since it isn't profitable we wont be doing it.

You seem to know, so its public. or is it just tinfoilhatting
    I sincerely hope you're an atheist. Cause otherwise...wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe we will, but the aliens won't.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

I believe we already have, it's one of the few conspiracies I tie myself too.

Deleted
    intelligent aliens capable of crossing galaxies dont give a crap about amibas like us

If aliens ever chose to come here, it would be to abduct Kate Upton. Well, that's what i'd do if i was an alien.

No, I don't believe Aliens exist. There isnt much reason to believe so anyway.
    Yes the universe is big and you can speculate all you want, But without proof can't care!
    There is plenty of reason to believe aliens do exist no matter what your own personal beliefs are.

If you believe in evolution then chances are there exists another planet in the universe that is capable of undergoing the same chain of events that produced intelligent life on Earth.

If you believe in a divine being that created the universe it's highly unlikely he/she/it stopped with Earth. Surely, it'd want to create more planets that sustain life for any number of reasons.

As for us contacting them in our lifetimes? It really depends. If you're assuming we're just gonna live for the typical ~80-100 years then probably not, but if you're accounting for potential advances in medicine and technology that allow human lifetimes to be drastically extended beyond that threshold to the point where we will never die from disease or old age then I'd say chances are pretty high we'll make contact in "our lifetimes".
    Last edited by Iracor; 2012-09-18 at 06:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think if there are intelligent aliens close enough for us to make contact with during our lifetimes, we'd probably have found some radio evidence of them by now.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Iracor View Post
    There is plenty of reason to believe aliens do exist no matter what your own personal beliefs are.

If you believe in evolution then chances are there exists another planet in the universe that is capable of undergoing the same chain of events that produced intelligent life on Earth.

If you believe in a divine being that created the universe it's highly unlikely he/she/it stopped with Earth. Surely, it'd want to create more planets that sustain life for any number of reasons.
    I will explain to you why the bolded part isn't exactly correct. my own personal feelings aside.

The problem the church has with aliens is the fact that if God created other beings out there, you have to question if they are perfect without sin, or are they sinful in nature as humans are. If they are sinful, how are they saved? God sent his only son to die for our sins, so what did He do for the other beings out there?

I'm no biblical scholar, that's just how it's been explained to me.

Deleted
    Depends on many things, so Im saying maybe. They might already be here, observing.

Tough if they want to keep their distance for now, im not blaming them. Im a member of a human species and even I think were a race of primitive savages still.
    Last edited by mmocb13165abed; 2012-09-18 at 06:33 PM.

No, I don't believe Aliens exist. There isnt much reason to believe so anyway.
    Yes the universe is big and you can speculate all you want, But without proof can't care!
    Aliens in the form of little green men? Likely not. Aliens in the form of other life forms on other planets? Surely they do. It's really impossible to comprehend the size of the universe and it would be really silly to assume we are the one planet out of millions/billions/whatever amount of planets out there that would be able to support life forms. It life came to be on this planet there must be other planets out their with similar conditions that have some form of life.

I'd would wager that regardless of what life their might be on other planets, we will never met. We're likely far to spread out and I highly doubt any time of life form will ever be able to truely travel faster then the speed of light... so we'll never met.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. Our governments spend too much money on killing each other and banning things like Abortion and Gay marriage to bother with Space exploration.

Perhaps if our priorities change.

No.

We are in the early stages of the universe. We are a young species. We are also sending less signals to space than we used to so we ourselves are harder to detect. It costs energy to send signals to space so suitably advanced civilisations should emit less into space makign them harder to detect.