Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I pretty much just replace video cards until my processor cant handle new games. My current desktop is a 6-7 years old Gateway fx-6100. It runs most games on high/ultra, no need to replace it and waste money until shit starts to break. Only upgrades are taking from 3 to 9 gig ram and swapping from a 4850 to a 550ti.

When it dies, I will most likely give up pc gaming. There are very few games I like to play now and some of these new games just look crap.

Usually every couple of months.
    Playing since 2007.

Deleted
    When ever I feel it's needed really... Tho I would like to upgrade my cards I don't see any reason why I should with the current games I play and I have passed the number crunching benchmark phase :P (everyone likes BIG numbers)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Oh God don't do it!!!

(Had an Agility 3. Never was really sure if it was the SandForce bug or OCZ, but the Agility series is essentially OCZ's lower quality range, I'd suggest a Crucial m4 or Samsung 830 in your laptop, instead.)
    But it's cheap, a firmware update should be able to fix it.

Regardless, I've got 45 days to return the SSD if I don't like it :P
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    I think once every 2-3 years for both my desktop and laptop is about what ill aim for.

10+ Year Old Account
    My current PC will be 3 years old in March, I've only added some RAM, SSD and upgraded the GPU around a year ago to a GTX 570.

I've had no issues at all with it at all and it plays all games on high/ultra, but I'm always tempted to buy a new PC. I won't upgrade it until next summer at the earliest though, I may wait until it's 4 years old, I am undecided.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2012-09-20 at 04:23 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nab View Post
    Usually every couple of months.
    Looking at your specs you mean years. i5 2500k, a old tx850 watt and a 590 ?
    ot: i change when i need, my first upgrade was somewhere in TBC - second was around wotlk - and third just before summer. around every 2 years. replacing them sooner is stupid and silly. I waste around 15k norwegian crowns = 3k dollars +/- every upgrade. yes prices are expensive here.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I got my first PC in 1995.
    My current PC is the sixth one.
    I intend to replace it in the next year.

So it's once per 3 years on average.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Repacing sooner than 16-24 months is idiotic, first because there's probably a new item that is only 20% better than your current so you're actually wasting a bunch of money there and buying new parts and wasting alot there. If you got a job and daddy ain't paying for 16-24 months. If daddy and you doing together go 3-5 years. Really, nto worth doing anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    Looking at your specs you mean years. i5 2500k, a old tx850 watt and a 590 ?
    ot: i change when i need, my first upgrade was somewhere in TBC - second was around wotlk - and third just before summer. around every 2 years. replacing them sooner is stupid and silly. I waste around 15k norwegian crowns = 3k dollars +/- every upgrade. yes prices are expensive here.
    First of all, upgrading a PC doesn't have to be with new parts, 2nd what if I upgrade things other than my main components?
    Playing since 2007.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nab View Post
    First of all, upgrading a PC doesn't have to be with new parts, 2nd what if I upgrade things other than my main components?
    Nothing that I can see on your parts are upgraded. But mate, if you want to throw a huge lie be my guest.

Nothing that I can see on your parts are upgraded. But mate, if you want to throw a huge lie be my guest.
    He may be talking about a new keyboard/mouse, case lighting, case, buying used 590 if he used to have a 560ti or something along those lines. Quit nitpicking irrelevant shit.

You can't see anything upgraded? Lol, how exactly do you know what I did or did not upgrade? stop trying to be E-tough.
    Playing since 2007.

Got my first gaming PC in 7/2010. Then realized SSDs were awesome so I upgraded some months later.
    Just last month I upgraded the SSD again from x-25M 80gb to 320 160gb; the 160gb came from my m11x laptop, which, now has a intel 330 240gb.

My main gaming PC, which has an overclocked I7-930, HD 5870, 6GB ram on a noctua cooler still performs like when it was new. I only play WoW, D3 and a Gundam shooter game, which doesn't tax the machine too much. (I don't play benchmark games like Metro 2033 or Crysis) Looking at Ivy Bridge and Haswell, while faster, they seemed to be more concerned about power usage than actual performance. For gaming purposes, I think I can hold on to this machine for 2 or even 3 more years.

Im thinking about switching to an ASUS DirectCU GPU within those 2-3 years, though. my GPU could be a little quieter.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    But it's cheap, a firmware update should be able to fix it.

Regardless, I've got 45 days to return the SSD if I don't like it :P
    Just wait, it'll die on day 46.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Then there's still the 2 year warranty
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    I generally go until I struggle to run things on medium settings, then upgrade to the next cycle.

I generally upgrade a few components every year or so and build a nearly completely new system every 4 years or so. I give my old systems to siblings or sell them locally.

I built my first system at 10 (with help) and I'm on third right now, soon to be fourth. Going with triple monitors now that I can finally afford it.