Page 1 of 5
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    The Patient Sut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    259

    Ray Muzyka & Greg Zeschuk retire from Bioware.

    Source: http://blog.bioware.com/2012/09/18/r...eschuk-retire/

    Leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth, can't say I feel happy about this.
    I also wonder whether they jumped, or were pushed, and when EA will stop taking over and destroying smaller studios.

  2. #2
    Dreadlord Kankuri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    906
    Well, there just went my hopes for another decent RPG to come from Bioware.

    I'm off to dig up my D&D Master's Collection and barricade myself into a nuclear shelter.
    Last edited by Kankuri; 2012-09-19 at 12:40 AM.
    I mostly play fighting games these days.

  3. #3
    Well, Bioware has been dying for years (gee, EA, dying dev houses what?) now that has been obvious from the content they've been putting out under EA division. It's only sensible they drop out before the lowest point (though some might argue the lowest one has reached already).

    The people that originally made Bioware that what it was has been steadily leaving the company for past few years already and due to bad performance that is beyond sales, the value of company has sunk far lower than what it was when EA bought it.

    It's a sad turn of events but nothing I did not excpect after ME2.

    Besides, Greg left some while ago already, due to failure of SWTOR. It's just being brought up now to hide the fact.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

    "I envy Obama, because he can spy on his own people and get away with it." - Putin

  4. #4
    Titan Synthaxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rotherham, England/UK
    Posts
    12,977
    Pushed. EA in all their wisdom, will tell developers to remain silent. They don't approve of developers communicating with customers because it may "ruin their perfect business strategy". They did the same with DICE and BF3 (even though DICE itself has been owned by EA for many years), and zh1nt0, one of their community support team members was the only one who spoke out in public. Unfortunately, this meant he was often put into bad positions. I recall once that he was "set up" by EA and had to take the blame for what happened, though i don't recall what it was exactly.

    So, EA push companies. They're bad for gaming, and a perfect example of what your business should not be about. While ever developers are looking to EA or being approached by them, they won't stop doing what they do. I know people often shout at Blizzard for the faults of WoW, but one thing they have is developers talking to the community as equals, and CM's that genuinely seem happy to talk to us. I'm not saying Activision are any better. They do the same things, except they don't seem to destroy quite so many development studios in the process of getting games out there.

    Electronic Arts; The "Margaret Thatcher" of the gaming industry.
    Coder, Gamer - Thoughtcloud | Node.js Monkey | Supporter of error 418 (I'm a teapot)
    Knows: Delphi, PHP, WQL/SQL, Python, JS + jQuery, HTML + CSS, Ruby, Node.js (+ Express & Socket.io)

    PC: 750D / 16GB / 256GB + 750GB / GTX780 / 4670K / Z87X-UD4H | Laptop: 8GB / 120GB + 480GB / GTX765M / 4700MQ

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    . I know people often shout at Blizzard for the faults of WoW, but one thing they have is developers talking to the community as equals, and CM's that genuinely seem happy to talk to us. I'm not saying Activision are any better. [/I]
    Out of everything in your post that is the only thing I disagree. I never felt like CMs were on par and talking as equals with me. In fact in the instance of one particular cm the exact opposite is true. The conversation with Bashiok is almost always entirely patronizing.

  6. #6
    Big loss for BioWare/EA, two amazing guys who have contributed a ton to the gaming industry. I would wish them luck, but I'm sure they'll do well wherever they go.

    This is a big hit for BW brand though, those guys were absolutely the face of the company. Really sad to see them go, and the timing is far from ideal : /

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    They do the same things, except they don't seem to destroy quite so many development studios in the process of getting games out there.
    They do, the only difference is that Blizzard does have an edge over Activision that is based on non intervention agreement made with Vivendi back in the days that carried on when the two merged.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

    "I envy Obama, because he can spy on his own people and get away with it." - Putin

  8. #8
    Sad to see them go, i don't think i'll be looking forward to Bioware games from now on To guy above, Blizzard's CM are forced to read their forums all day long, you gotta agree that would suck out life and sanity from anyone.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    Out of everything in your post that is the only thing I disagree. I never felt like CMs were on par and talking as equals with me. In fact in the instance of one particular cm the exact opposite is true. The conversation with Bashiok is almost always entirely patronizing.
    One time, me and Ghostcrawler talked about power creep past level 15 in 3.5e D&D. THAT, was an interesting conversation, and I definitely felt like GC was talking with me as an equal. Bashiok is just a dick, and everyone knows it.

    And now I'm gonna be even more cautious about Dragon Age 3 and any future Bioware products.
    If Goku's power level increases at the same rate till the end of DBGT as it does till the end of the Frieza saga, as a SS4 Goku would have a PL of roughly 939 Quinoctogintillion. For reference that is a 260 digit number. A PL of 14,600 is required to destroy an earth sized planet. There are about 2 nonillion earths worth of mass in the universe. That means SS4 Goku can destroy the universe about 32 Octosexagintillion times over. There's a reason they made Goku a god at the end of GT.

  10. #10
    Hi guys, lets not turn this into a "Let's shit talk the team from different companies" threads.

  11. #11
    Everyone knew this one was coming. But you shouldn't feel too bad for Muzyka & Zeschuk. Both bailed out before the ship sank with a huge sack of gold that they got when Bioware was sold to EA.
    On a related topic, Senior Creative Director of Bioware, James Ohlen will be my next guess who is leaving/let go from the big bosses. Haven't heard anything about him in months related to Swtor. Also Jeff Hickman has been brought in, and everyone knows what that means

  12. #12
    Brewmaster OneSent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The Forest
    Posts
    1,430
    And just when I thought SWTOR couldn't take anymore blows. This is a sad day indeed. Without the Doctors, there is no Bioware. I thank them for their amazing contribution to the RPG genre, and for making some of the best games I have ever had the pleasure of playing.

    I look forward to seeing what they move on to. Perhaps they can return to making games again the way they want to make them.

  13. #13
    I'm really sad about this. Bioware has always been my favorite company. They've always put out games that I've enjoyed. But recently, you could see EA's influence on them. Dragon Age 2 never would of happened if Bioware was an independent company. That game got pushed out about a year early, so it didn't have Biowares usual polish on it. It's a sad day for the game industry as a whole.

  14. #14
    Moderator Sj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    4,977
    Bioware's loss will end up being someone else's gain in the long run. Hopefully these guys continue to make games, and do it on their own terms.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    Bioware's loss will end up being someone else's gain in the long run. Hopefully these guys continue to make games, and do it on their own terms.
    Like every other studio that was "managed" by EA?

    EA's popularity is one of the brightest examples of lack of short term memory of gaming community. :/

    (And I talk short term as in 20 years or so.)
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

    "I envy Obama, because he can spy on his own people and get away with it." - Putin

  16. #16
    90% sure they were pushed out by EA with SWTOR being the main reason. DA2 and the ending of ME3 were clear indications of what is happening with the company. With the announcement of DA3 and a future full ME game it's pretty clear EA is just going to milk the sequels until the developer crashes.

  17. #17
    Moderator Sj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    4,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Like every other studio that was "managed" by EA?

    EA's popularity is one of the brightest examples of lack of short term memory of gaming community. :/

    (And I talk short term as in 20 years or so.)

    Twenty years is by no means "short term" in the video game industry. EA may be hated by a very vocal portion of gamers, but whether or not these vocal gamers are the majority or minority is of little consequence. People are still buying their games, regardless of what smaller studios get eaten in the process.

    Ray and Greg could end up somewhere that appreciates their talent that EA can't touch. Let's be optimistic here.

  18. #18
    Remember WAR?

    WAR flops.
    Mark Jacobs "moves onto other projects".
    Few weeks later he 'left' EA-Mythic.

    The deja vu is hitting me from all sides.

    Last edited by CHALET; 2012-09-18 at 09:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekadez View Post
    Sandbox MMOs are like having sex with a pornstar: Everyone wants it, but when you're getting it, it's suddenly not so awesome anymore.

  19. #19
    Over 9000! Glorious Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In my bunker leading uprisings
    Posts
    9,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    Twenty years is by no means "short term" in the video game industry. EA may be hated by a very vocal portion of gamers, but whether or not these vocal gamers are the majority or minority is of little consequence. People are still buying their games, regardless of what smaller studios get eaten in the process.

    Ray and Greg could end up somewhere that appreciates their talent that EA can't touch. Let's be optimistic here.
    Well if you actually read their blogs, they're simply going to leave gaming as a whole. I kinda envy them actually. They've both led very full lives and have the luxury of being able to switch career paths and do what they love. At one point it was medicine, then it was games and now it's different things for both of them.

    It is just entirely possible that they wanted to move on to do other things and it's not a vast pr conspiracy theory where evil overlord EA has pushed them out. It is however impossible to prove one way or the other. Look they sold the company to EA, they made money of off it and still do. Something about them selling it and then leaving because they sold it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Isn't just as likely that they want to retire and do other things?
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2012-09-18 at 09:18 PM.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    Bioware's loss will end up being someone else's gain in the long run. Hopefully these guys continue to make games, and do it on their own terms.
    They said they were exiting the game industry.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •