View Poll Results: What do you roll on in LFD

Voters
205. This poll is closed
  • I roll on everything and I don't care.

30 14.63%
  • I roll on everything and feel bad sometimes.

19 9.27%
  • I role on MS only and I am noble.

156 76.10%
Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

DPS queuing as Tank or Healer in MoP

With every new xpac, everyone's gear gets a reset. In the first few weeks you can assume that almost everyone running dungeons need gear. To speeds things up, I've always gone tank, or healer, and rolled on gear for my spec (so that I can do the heroic dungeons better) and all the DPS gear (raid spec). thanks to LFD you pretty much never see the people again, but I still feel a little guilty.

I was interested in how many people take the noble route and stick to main set rolling first before offspec.

inb4 this is why you run with guildies. We ALL do LFD at some point in our lives.

10+ Year Old Account
    As one of the many people that you have taken gear from let me say that I hate you. I hate you so much... I have lost so much tank and dps gear to either dps, heals, or the tank depending on who was playing. I even lost a tank sword to a mage back in BC. This was before need before greed. Anybody could roll on anything, it was the Mechanar a heroic. Everybody hated that heroic... Finally got Sun Eater to drop, mage needed it then De'ed it right in front of me saying he needed the shard for an enchant. Just do another run, rare drop in a hated heroic...

Deleted
    I admit, I did this when cata came out though. I played shadow priest, and levelled in disc for queue boosts :P Because of how spirit>hit worked for priests though, it wasn't a big issue and I only needed on hit gear the DPS didn't need (since it was my decision to go disc). With MoP, my main will be my resto druid so I'll be able to get all of the gear I need anyway :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sscavenger View Post
    I have lost so much tank and dps gear to either dps, heals, or the tank depending on who was playing. I even lost a tank sword to a mage back in BC.
    You can't lose something you never had, champ.

I usually don't roll need for anything other than what I need for the spec I am in the dungeon as (in my case, most of the time healing spec).

In the off chance there was something that I wanted for my other spec, I always ask before I roll need. If no one replies, then I just roll greed and hope that maybe I win.
    If the other players in the group all reply they are fine with me rolling need, then I will. It's called common courtesy and I like to think others would show me the same respect I am showing them.

Am I noble (as you put in your poll)? I wouldn't go that far, but I like to treat others as I want to be treated. I know it would bother me if a dps or tank rolled need and won a certain item that I was in there for and I'm sure they would feel the same way if I won something they had needed.

With that said, I rarely run LFD without a full guild group. Even then, I still ask guildies if they mind if I rolled on something that would be off spec for me.
    Last edited by Madisyn; 2012-09-19 at 06:06 AM.

i always only roll on MS, unless everyone passes or i ask and get the go-ahead from the person (persons) who could have otherwise used it.

Finally got Sun Eater to drop, mage needed it then De'ed it right in front of me saying he needed the shard for an enchant. Just do another run, rare drop in a hated heroic...
    When ZA and ZG first came out and maelstrom crystals were still going for 500g a pop I needed on anything I could >.> Who's to say that I don't need money just as badly as you need gear lol. Ok ok I know that it's bad.

The issue for me, and a few fellow guildies who do the same and me, is that our main raid spec is dps, but we have the luxury of choosing faster queue times if we go tank or heals. I would hate to have to sit in a 30 min queue at the start of an xpac >.<

In what universe is DPS getting 30minute queues? I've not seen longer than ~12mins since the start of Cataclysm whenever I'm DPSing otherwise nice instant queues for my tanking self.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Apellosine View Post
    In what universe is DPS getting 30minute queues? I've not seen longer than ~12mins since the start of Cataclysm whenever I'm DPSing otherwise nice instant queues for my tanking self.
    Beta I've seen DPS and Healers tied at around 10-20 minute queues, tanks remain instant.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

I guess it depends on time of day, but yea I guess it varies between 10-20 most of the time for me. Still too long imo because that's the time it takes to run 1/3 to 1/2 of the instance.

The honest answer is that the longer the queues are for DPS, the more you can socially hold the DPS "peons" hostage. Since the less tanks there are the less people will be willing to kick and wait for a new tank, the more you can just take all the loot and get away with it.

It's a pretty brutal fact, but that's just how things work.

stick with the basics of lfr
    if you can press need it means you need it

since with gear reset and my fear of bad players i will go to the dungeons with guild members where we look that our setup got 1 for each , cloth, leather,mail,plate. and anyone who steals from friends would kill a little cat .. and that means he schould be ignored for the rest of his life.

to randoms as evil as it may sound i don't have a real oh i can't do that. as long it's legal you try to max out what you can.

Deleted
    My main spec is resto so I only need on resto gear. IF I ever wanted to go tanking or feral then I would only need if everyone in the group was OK with it.

but I'm a druid and fortunately it is not like there's a lot of competition for caster or tanking leather

15+ Year Old Account
    45 min queues were common to the point of expected, for me, until either 4.1 or firelands. Why do you think satchels were added?

While leveling is in order I dont mind tanks/healers roll on DPS gear as well, everybody need to solo their quests. Though the other way - DPS rolling on either Tank or Healer gear is crime in my eyes. Because people who decided to do the job most dont want to do (healing and tanking) deserve to improve themselves and make pool of these spec's available for everybody. We cant make LFD if they cant play.
    Last edited by Housemdoctor; 2012-09-19 at 06:59 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Madisyn View Post
    In the off chance there was something that I wanted for my other spec, I always ask before I roll need. If no one replies, then I just roll greed and hope that maybe I win.
    If the other players in the group all reply they are fine with me rolling need, then I will. It's called common courtesy and I like to think others would show me the same respect I am showing them.
    You're wierd. Noone can be bothered to reply = noone objects.

Quote Originally Posted by bajskorv View Post
    You can't lose something you never had, champ.

It does get old hearing/seeing ppl bitch about ppl stealing their loot. Like they somehow pulled it out of their backpack.

---------- Post added 2012-09-19 at 12:44 AM ----------

As one of the many people that you have taken gear from let me say that I hate you. I hate you so much... I have lost so much tank and dps gear to either dps, heals, or the tank depending on who was playing. I even lost a tank sword to a mage back in BC. This was before need before greed. Anybody could roll on anything, it was the Mechanar a heroic. Everybody hated that heroic... Finally got Sun Eater to drop, mage needed it then De'ed it right in front of me saying he needed the shard for an enchant. Just do another run, rare drop in a hated heroic...
    Mech was one of the fastest and easiest runs with a high amount of badges. Who hates a quick easy run with a lot of reward?
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

I must say, I had figured that a lot more people would be into just rolling need, since that seems to be the current trend in WoW.

Yeah i need on everything I can, not caring about how annoying it is to others, and i have not a shred of guilt afterwards. But so do like ½ of all the other people in LFD/LFR. And lets be honest, you will never meet the people you ninjaed loot from again, so i don't feel like i have any obligations to them. Back in BC i was one of the nice dudes tho. I passed when i needed for OS and another dude also did, i offered to DE for the group free of charge, and then just roll for the shards at the end. But back in the day, you were hold responsible by your actions (at least on my server), and because i was known as a nice dude, I had no problems finding a dungeon group/raid. But sadly, the days of a server community is over.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Technically, I need only what I actually need and greed everything else.