Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I'm known for being extremely harsh on applicants to our guild, even after I retired from being GM. I nitpick every single applicant that goes on our forum, point out their stupidity and most likely insult them a bit just for fun.
    That said, if you wrote an application with the same tone of honesty and eloquence as you did in this post, I would get the vibe from you that you were a serious guy that would be worth considering and most likely let it slide through to the officers.

Don't try to conceal anything, tell them the full story and thereby paint a picture of what type of guy/girl you are, and let the "judges" vote on your merits as a person. In most cases, personality affects contribution to the roster, and all serious officers know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    as a none hardcore (by which I mean I dont scream blue bloody murder at people (I Have officers for that) Guild, but pushing for steady progress I would accept you in a heartbeat. People who actually bother to turn up to raids prepared is sadly becoming a thing of the past on my realm. My Guild Funds everything. Foods, Potions, Flasks, repair costs, and enchants, baring in mind that even a semi-serious raiding guild will tend to ask you to have BIS enchants and Gemming where possible, The most people actually want is for people turn up and at least know the basics of the fight. I can assure you that what your looking for is out there.
    Pretty much this,

People willing to show up on time having done a bit of homework with appropirately gemmed / enchanted gear and knowing their class are rarer than you think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well imo I'd be a bit tentative inviting you for a permanent spot, as you said you only raided ICC and Tier 11, (you didn't state you raided more then that) and quit because 'you hated it'
    How would we know you will stick past the first tier of MoP?

Does the OP possess confidence of a mouse or what's the point of the post? Seriously?

Of course you can get into a decent raiding guild.

Deleted
    As someone who's been responsible to some degree for recruiting for the past 3-4 years, and have been a guildmaster for the past year, I can say that I'd rather recruit you than someone who's "super-pro-awesome" as that generally also comes with more than a tinge of arrogance and selfishness.

Transfer to Kazzak and we can talk more. :P

Thanks again for all the feedback guys!

I maybe went a bit too strong on the 'no offspec' thing - I'll go resto when it's needed, and will gear/gem/enchant/read up on that spec as well, I just reserve the right to throw snowballs
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    I love these changes. Maybe it's because I've always valued utility and teamwork over my personal meter whoring, but the ability to pop Heart and step in for a dead healer/tank for 45s to save the day is Druidism at its finest IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDragon
    Technically dragon eating human is not cannibalism. It is misfortunate inconvinience.

Do yourself a favor and record a World of Logs parse for your application as well. The accounts are free and it looks really bad to say you have no logs when you can run an LFR to get some logs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe you got the requirements. But i'm not the right person to give advices about raiding guilds; in fact, every time i am to enter a raiding guild and it even remotely feels like i'm applying to a job, i just say "AHAHAH" and never come back.

As someone who was in the exact same situation at the beginning of this expansion, I can relate to what you say. I started playing in Vanilla and raided a bit in TBC but as I had to move across the world, I couldn't play in the US realms anymore. I forgot about the game completely until a few weeks before Cataclysm.

I had always been a relatively decent player and my experience from other games carried over but when I came back to WoW, I was so out of touch with things I thought "The Kingslayer" title was the pinnacle of raiding (In the old days, there was only one mode.).

With a completely fresh account and no achievements to show, I could only join a guild that cleared normal modes and a couple of the easier heroics. In the second tier of the expansion, I ran my own guild with some friends I made in game and we reached 6/7 heroic pre-nerf. In t13, I joined another guild and we cleared DS HC at the 5% nerf. I'm now going into MoP as a member of a top 100 guild. I think one of the things I did right was putting a lot of effort into my applications and being as honest and sincere as I could be. Surprisingly, this overshadowed my lack of achievements every time. If the guild leaders are astute enough, they will pay attention to well written applications. Oh and just like you, I ONLY play resto so I'm sure you can find a suitable guild somewhere. Just don't fill out one word answers in your application.

That being said, I shared a similar view about not leaving guilds as well but unfortunately, things don't always work out the way you want it to. Sometimes, you are simply wasting your time in unsuitable guilds. Remember that everyone has different goals in this game and it can be hard pressed to find 9 or 24 others with the same ones as you. If some part of you wants to really push progress and achieve some good ranks, you may have to switch guilds. I guess the best way to be civil about it is to give your guild ample notice or make the switch after the tier is over.

TLDR: Go for it.

I also was in a similar position. I am happy with my choice. Thorns of Serenity on Uther (Horde, West coast USA server) could definitely use a Moonkin. We are a 10m guild recruiting for MoP. If interested, please visit the site and fill out an application. PM me when done and I will make sure an officer reviews it quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lecan View Post
    I also was in a similar position. I am happy with my choice. Thorns of Serenity on Uther (Horde, West coast USA server) could definitely use a Moonkin. We are a 10m guild recruiting for MoP. If interested, please visit the site and fill out an application. PM me when done and I will make sure an officer reviews it quickly.
    Not sure if hes willing to emigrate to the US to find a guild.

You'd probably be accepted by a social guild, but don't expect instant raid spot in even a casual raiding guild.

15+ Year Old Account
    Get out there and apply. Get your trial runs in, and perform well.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Not sure if hes willing to emigrate to the US to find a guild.
    Correct But hey, it's nice to be asked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    I love these changes. Maybe it's because I've always valued utility and teamwork over my personal meter whoring, but the ability to pop Heart and step in for a dead healer/tank for 45s to save the day is Druidism at its finest IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDragon
    Technically dragon eating human is not cannibalism. It is misfortunate inconvinience.

Well the only way you're gonna get into a good guild without a lot of experience or good contacts is if you play something they need. I never had a lot of experience just raided everything on normal until I decided to apply to a somewhat hardcore guild on my server. I would have had no chance if they didn't desperately need a tank so they gave me a shot and I did well so yea...

It's the same with jobs the all want experienced employees but how do you get experience without a job? It's really annoying but once you get past that and get the experience a lot of doors open up for you, same with raiding.

Deleted
    As others mentioned: A good and honest application can help a lot. I was a guild leader / officer and raidleader in a casual guild (3 raids per week, world rank about 750 in 25) for over 5 years, and can say that (if we would've been searching moonkins and your application is good) you would at least get an invite to a follow-up talk in TS. Only speaking of principles here since it was in a german guild.

But, looking over your armory, many questions come up. For example:
    - You said that you prepare for raids. But looking over your armory, there are some suboptimal enchants (hurricane, chestenchant). We don't look for members not preparing well for the raids, including enchanting your character and preparing boss tactics. So what's up with this?

So if you try to get into a decent raiding guild, you have to expect questions like these. Officers can be a pain in the ass in those conversations, because it's mostly the best way to evaluate a person only from an application / a quick interview over the internet, and sorts out if the person is just lying or had some other issues going on. At times it's really hard to evaluate an application, therefore honesty goes a long way, and if you get invited, enjoy playing in the guild and give your best, you're in.

And best of luck finding a guild for the addon!

[e] PS: Female tauren rock . Been one myself for many years. I racechanged for more dps, but I think no guild (including mine, I did it because I wanted to) raiding 3 times a week will ask you to.
    Last edited by mmoc48c29aaf6e; 2012-09-21 at 12:11 PM.

The one reason if being honest I would not really consider the OP would be down to his lack of commitment to wow over the last year or two. Having only done ICC and what looks like 3/4 weeks of t11 alarm bells would be ringing if you would bother to stick around long at all. I am sure guilds who are much more progressive than ours would feel this way too.

If you want any chance of standing out it will be in your application, you would need to make this as detailed and impressive as possible to overlook the fact you havnt raided much.

On a personal note I honestly think you should simply do other things, it just doesnt seem like your that interested in wow anymore and quite frankly I wont be surprised if I check your armory in about 3 months time to find an ERROR - user has not been playing for some time etc etc.
    Keeping everyone happy is impossible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    You'd probably be accepted by a social guild, but don't expect instant raid spot in even a casual raiding guild.
    Why not?

When MoP hits everyone will be busy farming heroics. If you go with guildies and make a good impression, they'll want you in on their raids as well.

If u really want to get into raiding with a good guild, u need more experience and steadiness / persistance than u proved to have.

For top guilds, think of realm top 20 or so of a well populated realm, they watch after heroic kills. Through all tiers. If u lack experience, they watch for wol rankings. No rankings, no experiance, 1 year inactivity? better dont apply. It wastes your time, and theirs.

But still u can apply and mention that u can proove your worth to them, but i doubt this will work, as Top guilds have their mop progress roster complete now. U could get lucky though.

What i would be doing in this situation, i would be gearing up in mop fast, running dungeons, and being one of the topgeared druids on your realm for the first 2 weeks. U could go with pugs often formed from alts from the realms elite guilds, to show what u can, and perhaps u will find a spot in a mainraid, if you can show your awesome skill. Or try to get a place in a persistant freelancer raid, mostly formed of elite players alts. Actually my current raidguild emerged from something like this, and is now realm rank 9 in one of the best pve realms of eu.

Or you apply to a guild that is somewhere in the middle, where u can gear up, help them progressing normals and a few hardmodes, and if u think ithat it does not fit your demand, try to apply to a better raid guild. But even a in the middle guild will hardly take a 3 months every year player without suspecting bad news.

I would not expect to get invited to a top guild for trials with a char, that has been inactive for 1 year or so, and has no history in heroic raiding.

But u can change your situation by playing the game, by raiding with pugs / alts ,and networking with the officers in the top guild, no by applying directly, but by saying hi i am awesome, interested in your raidguild, want to raid on a long term basis, and will prove u in the next 1-2 month that im pro by doing all the stuff, committing to my char, getting the best possible gear and do some wol parses, which show that i am extremly good for the gear i have.

If u really are able to pull this off, and there is a vacancy for the next tier of mop, u have good chances to be in it.

The only thing that raises alarm bells for me is the reluctance to go offspec. A raider having at least one viable offspec (or alt) is so, SO valuable to a raiding guild.

That said, you've posted again to clarify that you are willing to go offspec, so there you go. Yes, you could be accepted to a decent raiding guild. Just be honest, humble, and co-operative and most decent raiding guilds will want you.