Ivy Bridge Vs Sandy Bridge-E

Looking to get a new motherboard and i'm unsure wheather to get a either a Sandy Bridge-E or an Ivy Bridge.

Specs for the Sandy Bridge-E
    Core Size: 32nm
    - Socket: LGA2011
    - Quad Core
    - Frequency: 3.60GHz (3.90GHz TURBO)
    - Multiplier: 36x (Upto 43x available)
    - L2 Cache: 4x 256KB
    - L3 Cache: 10MB
    - TDP: 130W
    - Heatsink & Fan NOT INCLUDED!
    - 3yr Warranty

Specs for IvyBridge

Lithography Process: 22 nm
    - Cores: 4
    - Threads: 8
    - Frequency: 3.50 GHz (Turbo Mode 3.90GHz)
    - Integrated HD 4000 Graphics
    - Integrated Graphics Frequency: 650MHz (1150MHz Turbo)
    - Cache: 8 MB shared L3
    - Memory Controller: Dual channel DDR3 1333/1600/1600+ MHz
    - TDP: 77W
    - Socket: LGA1155
    - Compatible with Socket 1156 heatsinks
    - 3yr Warranty

Now the cost isn't an issue (the Ivy Bridge is about £30 more than the Sandy Bridge-E). Now I’m unsure what benefits Ivy Bridge will give over the Sandy Bridge-E other than the 3D Tri-Gate tech, and I’m unsure how that will effect things I typically do such as video editing, recording and mostly gaming.

What do you guys think would be the best choice of processor. On the face i'd say the Sandy Bridge-E, but something is making me unsure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only reason to go SB-E over Ivy would be for tri and quad sli/cfx setups or to run a hex core cpu for video work.
    Also SB-E motherboards generally cost 1-2x more then ivy/sandy boards. Lastly 130watts for a quad core seems way too high considering all sandy and ivy quad cores use less then 100 watts at stock speeds.

Overall the ivy would be your best bet unless you plan on doing some extreme enthusiast build.
    Last edited by lockblock; 2012-09-19 at 04:12 PM.

I think what lockblock is saying is: go i7-3770k over i7-3820. However, the i7-3930K is better than i7-3770K only if you can justify the cost.

Not all Ivy Bridge CPUs are the same; i3 vs i7. By the same logic, not all Sandy Bridge E CPUs are the same. Not only is the 3820 on a less used socket, but its also older technology and cut down such that its not significantly more powerful than the 3770k.
    Last edited by yurano; 2012-09-19 at 05:40 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    I think what lockblock is saying is: go i7-3770k over i7-3820. However, the i7-3930K is better than i7-3770K only if you can justify the cost.

Not all Ivy Bridge CPUs are the same; i3 vs i7. By the same logic, not all Sandy Bridge E CPUs are the same. Not only is the 3820 on a less used socket, but its also older technology and cut down such that its not significantly more powerful than the 3770k.
    Bolded the false bit. The i7-3820 is not on an "older technology" by any means.

The i7-3820, 3930K, 3960X, 3970X, all use the X79 chipset, which is far beyond Z77 or anything Ivy Bridge. While they are still 32nm technology, they are also much BIGGER CPUs. They support quad channel RAM as opposed to just dual channel, and are essentially meant more for workstations and far heavier tasks than just gaming. If you're a savvy overclocker, you could OC the i7-3820 to about 4.5GHz and it would dominate pretty damn well.

The LGA 2011 socket is only less-used because it is more expensive, it is not really meant for consumers, certainly not the mainstream end, it's meant for people who have cash and have a reason to use 2011 (or are just throwing money away) and for businesses/servers. Socket 2011 is not even a year old yet, so please don't say it's an older technology or any such thing.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

You can get Z77 boards with PLX chips for tri/quadfire or quad-SLI, so unless you need to do heavy computing work or you have some other reason for needing 64GB RAM Socket 2011 is largely wasted money for a gamer. If you're doing serious video editing you could go for it, there's still a good while until Q3 2013 when Ivy Bridge Extreme CPUs are slated for release and they'll still be on the 2011 socket if you feel like upgrading.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dogman View Post
    You can get Z77 boards with PLX chips for tri/quadfire or quad-SLI, so unless you need to do heavy computing work or you have some other reason for needing 64GB RAM Socket 2011 is largely wasted money for a gamer. If you're doing serious video editing you could go for it, there's still a good while until Q3 2013 when Ivy Bridge Extreme CPUs are slated for release and they'll still be on the 2011 socket if you feel like upgrading.
    Last I checked, Intel wasn't going forward with IB-E after all, do you have a recent Intel thing saying they are doing that? Pretty sure Haswell is just going to take over.
    "A flower.

As far as I'm aware this is what's happening. Is this outdated?

I heard Ivy-E would never be released? Just a rumour though, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post

The i7-3820, 3930K, 3960X, 3970X, all use the X79 chipset, which is far beyond Z77 or anything Ivy Bridge. While they are still 32nm technology, they are also much BIGGER CPUs. They support quad channel RAM as opposed to just dual channel, and are essentially meant more for workstations and far heavier tasks than just gaming. If you're a savvy overclocker, you could OC the i7-3820 to about 4.5GHz and it would dominate pretty damn well.

The LGA 2011 socket is only less-used because it is more expensive, it is not really meant for consumers, certainly not the mainstream end, it's meant for people who have cash and have a reason to use 2011 (or are just throwing money away) and for businesses/servers. Socket 2011 is not even a year old yet, so please don't say it's an older technology or any such thing.
    http://xtreview.com/images/character...essors%201.jpg The i7-3930K and i7-3960X preempted the i7-3770K by at least 2 quarters. The i7-3820 preempted the i7-3770K by at least 1 quarter. Seeing as how CPU generations are approximately 1 year, Sandy Bridge-E is slightly older (especially noted by 32nm fabrication over 22nm).

Quad channel RAM, while useful for servers, is not necessary for gaming. Most of the advantages offered by the X79 chipset do not offset its large price premium.

Ivy bridges can also be overclocked to 4.5 GHz and 5.0 GHz if you're an enthusiast.

The 2011 socket started in Q4'11 as shown in http://xtreview.com/images/character...essors%201.jpg so it is coming up on a year old.

The only reason to purchase a socket 2011 is for Ivy Bridge-E support which will no doubt also come with a new chipset rendering the x79 obsolete.

I'd also throw in Deltrus that the 3820 was considered by Anandtech reviews as the most optimal gaming cpu on the market, because it is a balanced and so on, me Im tempted as hell to get one.

---------- Post added 2012-09-20 at 04:51 PM ----------

http://xtreview.com/images/character...essors%201.jpg The i7-3930K and i7-3960X preempted the i7-3770K by at least 2 quarters. The i7-3820 preempted the i7-3770K by at least 1 quarter. Seeing as how CPU generations are approximately 1 year, Sandy Bridge-E is slightly older (especially noted by 32nm fabrication over 22nm).

Quad channel RAM, while useful for servers, is not necessary for gaming. Most of the advantages offered by the X79 chipset do not offset its large price premium.

Ivy bridges can also be overclocked to 4.5 GHz and 5.0 GHz if you're an enthusiast.

The 2011 socket started in Q4'11 as shown in http://xtreview.com/images/character...essors%201.jpg so it is coming up on a year old.

The only reason to purchase a socket 2011 is for Ivy Bridge-E support which will no doubt also come with a new chipset rendering the x79 obsolete.
    Your wrong just stop, the 3820 will run you about the same as a 3770k. The larger L3 Cache is 100% worthless to amiright? Also getting 5.0Ghz without pealing back the cpu cover is near impossible. Note Dual channel ram gave us a huge performance boost, triple channel was even better and one of the reasons i7-9xx still do wellish, and quad channel is afaik atm dual channel being used 2x over. The E series in some cases is worth the money IF you can afford it.

10+ Year Old Account

Show me again where I said LGA 2011 CPUs are for gaming?

That's right, I didn't. I said they are for people with either a shit ton of money to spend and more correctly, for people who will use them, i.e. people who do a lot of rendering/compressing of large uncompressed photos/videos/audio, businesses and servers.

Ivy Bridges, yes, they can also be overclocked that high, but point is, SB-E is still better due to the sheer power in their cores. Ivy Bridge is meant for mainstream consumers (gamers) and folks on something of a budget. SB-E is not. SB-E is meant to be a power house CPU, just like the i7-9xx Gulftown CPUs from before.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 3820, performance wise, is basically the exact same chip as a 2600k, but draws more power. The advantage would come with the chipset, which gives quad-channel RAM with 8 slots and you also get more PCIE lanes, though, you will lose all USB 3.0 compatibility and integrated graphics.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    The 3820, performance wise, is basically the exact same chip as a 2600k, but draws more power. The advantage would come with the chipset, which gives quad-channel RAM with 8 slots and you also get more PCIE lanes, though, you will lose all USB 3.0 compatibility and integrated graphics.
    It is similar to a 2600k in that its of the same generation~ how ever it differs substantially in a few areas, roughly the same price as a 2600k was as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    Your wrong just stop, the 3820 will run you about the same as a 3770k. The larger L3 Cache is 100% worthless to amiright? Also getting 5.0Ghz without pealing back the cpu cover is near impossible. Note Dual channel ram gave us a huge performance boost, triple channel was even better and one of the reasons i7-9xx still do wellish, and quad channel is afaik atm dual channel being used 2x over. The E series in some cases is worth the money IF you can afford it.
    No it will not. A 3820 is $300 + at least $200 for a x79 motherboard. A 3770K is $330 + at least $100 for a Z77 motherboard. There is a $70 difference between the two. L3 cache doesn't have the 'impact' you're talking about. Check out http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/523?vs=551 Stop mixing SB E with the 3820. The 3930K and 3960X have the performance gain, the 3820 does not.

Show me again where I said LGA 2011 CPUs are for gaming?

That's right, I didn't. I said they are for people with either a shit ton of money to spend and more correctly, for people who will use them, i.e. people who do a lot of rendering/compressing of large uncompressed photos/videos/audio, businesses and servers.

Ivy Bridges, yes, they can also be overclocked that high, but point is, SB-E is still better due to the sheer power in their cores. Ivy Bridge is meant for mainstream consumers (gamers) and folks on something of a budget. SB-E is not. SB-E is meant to be a power house CPU, just like the i7-9xx Gulftown CPUs from before.
    I don't see in any case, in either gaming or 'rendering/compressing of large uncompressed photos/videos/audio' where the 3820. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/523?vs=551 Where exactly is this 'sheer power' coming from? The 3930K and 3960X beat the 3770K because they have more cores. The 3820 has the same number of cores, yet is clocked lower.