143 47.35%
  • D) Defeat monsters

110 36.42%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    My answers: 1-2-1-1

And the ideas:
    If it is to be a like with 4 quest, I demand moar!
    If those quests will be related with the answers above 1 by 1, here is the ideas (They are based on my options and the scenarios are created with a merge of my answers so 1st part is related with causing a problem, but includes stuff about hunger to the power):
    Background tale: We meet a warlock after some quest chains that leads us to a secret chamber which has the thinnest point where nether and the earth realms are seperated. However when we get there, we meet another warlock there ambushing us slyly after a conversation. After that dude is beaten(Should have many mechanics that the way to kill him should contain pet twisting (A cast that has to be silenced and silenced only, a stun, a knockback etc) and should not be trivial by any means. After defeating the warlock, he tells us the story:
    1. Causing a mess and be forced to fix it: The dude tells you how to obtain extreme power so that you can rule every demon, get extreme fel power, however the dude couldnt do this as he didnt have the potencial and a warlock who is stronger than him already tried obtaining the power and get devoured by magic and became a part of the nether. However since we defeated the dude, he lets us thru. We try to open the nether portal and let the fel magic leak towards the world. However we messed up and demons started to come to our realm. Lets say there is 10 demons with different abilities (Numbers can be changed) and we have to switch between all of them with enslaving. Killing one immediately makes us defenseless to another ability so we have to kill all of them at once. The quest criteria is to kill all of them after enslaving all of them. Once we are done, we can use our powers to small the portal down.

2. Learning about where demons come from (And also the limitations): We use our eye of kilrogg thru the gap as it is small enough to get in, but while the gap is small enough that it doesnt let any bigger pet to get thru. We peek the nether and learn those stuff. I dont have any ideas about that, however a minigame like Leaping Hatchling quest would fit perfectly. Finally when we learn about the stuff, we can put a demonic circle inside with the eye of kilrogg and make our way inside.

3. Learning where our powers come from: There is a well and blabla, it is storymakers job. However the demons inside cannot get so close to it, while trying to stay close (It is like fire IRL, you wanna get warm, however too much warmth is burning). The rest is some stories that can be learned with someone elses writings written in demonic and causes flashbacks like Gul'dan's writings in WC3: The Frozen Throne.

4. Puzzles: What comes in my mind is: There is a flow of fel magic well towards outside and we can basicly devour-change the way-block that fel magic flow. Devouring a lot makes us unstable and die eventually, change the way causes some damage on us, blocking requires a pet sacrificed or usage of fel magic. This way, since there will be moving particles here, things will be rng, a single fixed path cannot be chosen. We get as close as we can and when we get to the part where we cannot go thru(The intended finish), our body sparkles with fel magic, green stuff leak over our body. We learn that hunger has a limit and should not cause our own destruction as our body is already infected (But still enough for us to live with), we are ok with what we got. We become wiser. Open the gate back will our new powers (Since it was a one way ticket before since we went in with pure hunger for magic, without thinking about consequences, we can think of that part as we are inside) get out, seal the portal, maybe smash the place with our new powers since it can bring us new people to compete with us, and can bring destruction to Azeroth.

Its just written, didnt even think about it and I think it is a good one. And I kept it old school since Pandaren has no stuff with fel magic.

Also another idea for the green fire: It would be awesome if we can get a toggle on-off spell which is completely visual, and makes us burn in green fire, or leak magic from our body, similar to some oozes. I always found disgusting oozeling as an awesome pet and this can bring some more stuff that way, a.k.a charisma while not casting stuff.

Thank you for reading. Nao.
    Edit: Paragraphs to make it more readable.

2nd Edit:
    Notes after reading other people's ideas:
    1. Item normalising should definitely be the case. I dont want it to be trivial. Superhard stuff mewantz
    2. The place can be in: Ahnqiraj, BT(Can also relate the stuff with what Illidan did with Skull of Gul'dan).
    3. My puzzle part can include much more steps and mine should be the last part if it should be a part since we are walking to the core of fel magic.
    4. Maybe solo Illidan(Dunno if its possible on LV90, but if its not, while having the quest, Illidan could be phased and have less hp or damage to make it killable. Also it brings a story flavor as he is one of the biggest power hungerers.
    Last edited by Naojirou; 2012-09-20 at 11:27 PM.

Causing a problem for ourselves wasn't my vote, but it seems the more popular choice. I think my real objection would be to causing a problem just because we clicked the mysterious relic or did whatever stupid thing the quest giver asked us to. If we're going to cause a disaster that needs cleaning up, it should be because in our pursuit of greater power at any price we overreached our limits and unleashed a force that we were unable to master. Then the quest is about ruthlessly seizing the materials needed so that we can win in the rematch and claim what was rightfully ours.

Learning where demons and our powers come from were my votes, which seem the more popular. I think that limitations aren't exciting without a way to exploit them and history is a bit dull, where as giving more character to our pets and spells is an attractive thing.

I'll have to echo the people saying that we're killing monsters all the time. If I want a challenging battle I've got plenty of raids to try and solo. Puzzles are a much rarer and therefore more interesting thing.

I would rather:

Cause a problem, then work to fix it

I would rather:

Learn about where demons come from

I would rather:

Learn more about where your powers come from

I would rather:

Defeat monsters

I've chosen A2, B1, C1 and both D because I really like both, but if I really have to choose, I'd rather do puzzles (fun and complicated ones)

10+ Year Old Account
    B - A - A - B

Causing a problem then working to fix it seems like it would have more conflict involved.

Finding out where demon's come from would be cool, I'd like to learn more about Xoroth which also ties into why I said I'd like to figure out where a warlock's powers come from.

And finally defeating monsters is always fun.

voted for solving puzzles, it's something that I believe is truly amazing in any game, and it can be challenging.

I noticed that I could vote for several after I had already voted so I'll say it now.

Solve other people's problems , seems like something I'd do but not sure as to what it implies.

as for all the other "knowing" things , I feel like it's too lore'ish, sure I'd like to know things but that would just translate into dungeons/ scenarios that would be mindlessly farmed, unless I'm missing something ( or there's something hidden I have yet to see ).

as for causing a problem then fixing it, just seems pretty whack to me, though I would pick this over all the other " knowing" things.

knowing where demons come from or where my powers come from would end up as some story etc, but solving or altering things and environments is what's really interesting imo.

Xelnath, people like challenges, some people more than others but regardless if you want to pick something that almost everyone would enjoy, make it challenging, the more challenging it is the more people will push towards it, the harder it is the more it draws people in, the recent marketing strategies of making things too easy to attract more casuals only pushes it towards it's own death tbh, what most people that have played wow for more than 5 years crave is the feeling wow gave us back then, it's so totally different from what it is now, I've had a RL m8 start wow in cata, he says " it's okay " , I ask my other friends who've played vanilla they say wow was such an experience back then they just feel sad that new players will NEVER see or feel what the old wow was.

people love challenges , things being hard attracts players into playing, though vanilla aimed only at hardcores, and now it's too casually aimed, overall if you increase the challenges in this game a bit more the game's subscriptions will skyrocket.

that's the message I want you to know, is all

Quote Originally Posted by wholol View Post
    people love challenges , things being hard attracts players into playing, though vanilla aimed only at hardcores, and now it's too casually aimed, overall if you increase the challenges in this game a bit more the game's subscriptions will skyrocket.
    Blizzard's statistics say that only a small percentage of players experienced raids in Burning Crusade. And Blues have said that the idea that a big, nigh-unreachable challenge being fun and inspirational is a "myth". But then, why are there SO MANY people who long for the extreme difficulty and gear requirements of Burning Crusade raids? It can't ONLY be the small percentage who raided then, right? There must be a lot of people like me who never (still haven't) downed Kael'thas and always felt in awe of the people who worked hard enough to get it done. It made things special, made them epic.

Putting high requirements on a Warlock story like that would make it feel very epic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sattori View Post
    Blizzard's statistics say that only a small percentage of players experienced raids in Burning Crusade. And Blues have said that the idea that a big, nigh-unreachable challenge being fun and inspirational is a "myth". But then, why are there SO MANY people who long for the extreme difficulty and gear requirements of Burning Crusade raids? It can't ONLY be the small percentage who raided then, right? There must be a lot of people like me who never (still haven't) downed Kael'thas and always felt in awe of the people who worked hard enough to get it done. It made things special, made them epic.

Putting high requirements on a Warlock story like that would make it feel very epic.
    Will never happen, and thank god it won't too. Blizz is now firmly on the path of letting most people that are willing to put at least a decent amount of effort in to see the content. That's what will happen with this class thing too, I'm sure.

You want super hard content? go do Heroic raids, or challenge modes for top realm time. I just want a sufficiently challenging Warlock flavour event, something that won't drive me crazy for weeks on end till I finally manage it. I want this to be fun and interesting, and to learn somethign from it, not walk into a brick wall of difficulty that can only be done by the top 0,5% of the warlock population. I mean what good would this cool event do for Warlocks if hardly anyone can finish it?!

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Will never happen, and thank god it won't too. Blizz is now firmly on the path of letting most people that are willing to put at least a decent amount of effort in to see the content. That's what will happen with this class thing too, I'm sure.

You want super hard content? go do Heroic raids, or challenge modes for top realm time. I just want a sufficiently challenging Warlock flavour event, something that won't drive me crazy for weeks on end till I finally manage it. I want this to be fun and interesting, and to learn somethign from it, not walk into a brick wall of difficulty that can only be done by the top 0,5% of the warlock population. I mean what good would this cool event do for Warlocks if hardly anyone can finish it?!
    challenging does not necessarily mean you need to spend time on it

think about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wholol View Post
    challenging does not necessarily mean you need to spend time on it

think about it.
    And spending time on it does not mean it's challenging.

10+ Year Old Account
    Euhm, seems to me that if something is so challenging that you can't beat it the first time and you need to do it a second time that automatically means it takes more time. If you have to repeat that process countless times because a challenge is very, very hard, then you are very much spending loads of time on it. So challenge = time, unless you are soooo pro you beat it in one, in which caes it doesn't apply for YOU. Still means it applies to the lesser mortals.

I don't see why shouldn't it be challenging. If I'm not mistaken a lot of raids are toned down because of time constraints and team play, which could hold you back. However in this case, you can continue your progression whenever you want. I want it to wreck my brains through difficulty. But when I say difficulty, it doesn't mean "not get owned by RNG factor X" or "Lol damage". Things like reaction, smart play and efficiency should be taken into account highly.

Challenging is fine, as long as it's real challenge.

What do I mean by that? I mean that the last solo special event I did was the one in the Nexus after the first stage of Dragonwrath collection. I spent an hour and a half dying to the final boss. Finally, out of frustration, I gave up on solving it on my own and went to WoWhead for some tactical advice. What I learned there was, "Don't be Destro, respect to Afflic." So I did, and finished easily.

That sort of situation isn't quite as likely now, where there's less disparity in the tools the different specs have. But I very much wish to never be in a situation again where the best solution that can be offered is "go respec". That's not a real challenge.

Class specific scenarios with quests might be a nice way to do it. Important moments in warlock lore like the shattering of Draenor by Gul'dan or something along those lines

Deleted
    Puzzles centered around our spells (portals, enslave, banish, eye of kilrogg - which, btw, can now set up portals!) are a great idea. I would definitely love to see some challenges where you need to use your rarely used spells, like Enslave Demon. Also, logical/movement puzzles and gimmick bosses - YES. Anything that makes you think outside of the usual "pop all cds and burn the big quest mob down" box.

Got to wonder about option a). I'm a warlock - the demonic caster class.

I should create a problem then force someone else to fix it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovestar View Post
    Clearly the poll is reaching a concensus: We must solve puzzles... and defeat monsters! *polishes Hookshot*
    LOL. So long as it doesn't resemble a water temple of any kind, I'm happy.

Locks have a lot of potential with the whole puzzles thing, what with our portals and all. Hopefully we won't be up against a psychopathic AI.
    Last edited by mmoc0d440a836c; 2012-09-21 at 07:59 PM.

I wouldn't get too hung up on creating a perfect puzzle that can't be solved via wowhead, just focus on making the execution of it fun, not necessarily challenging for the sake of it. Controlling a demon or playing as a powerful lore character in a "vision sequence" are things I'd count as puzzles, even if you kill monsters through them, because it is different, flavory, and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    And spending time on it does not mean it's challenging.
    exactly! ( I never stated spending time on something meant it being more challenging ).

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    Do you mean me, or my character ? That would influence my response(s) ...
    Without a response to this, I'll just respond as me ...

edit/update

Actually, mix of the two :S

A - Cause a problem and be forced to fix it. Here I get the impression we'd be trying to gain some more power or something, but wind up unleashing a force we hadn't expected (YOU FACE JARAXXUS)

B - Learn about where demons come from. I think my character is fairly familiar with the limitations of his minions ... me, personally, I'd like to know more about their home world/dimension.

C - Learn more about where your powers come from. Me, personally, I had a hard time picking between the two -- but for tiebreaker I think my character would like to know more about his powers ... to try to get more out of them.

D - Solve puzzles. As in I would like to see this as a challenge of mental / personal fortitude than of proving my metaphysical dominance, which I've already done by forcing my minions into submission and aiding the Horde in their many conquests.
    Last edited by Count Zero; 2012-09-23 at 02:39 AM.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.