Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Returning to Rift

Hi guys, I played Rift from launch day but never played to level cap or anything. I did really like the game, I just didn't have any friends on it like I did on WoW, so I left.

However, I've managed to get a free month of it through Curse premium so I thought I'd give it a try, maybe stick around.

How are things in game now? I'm quite excited to try it again, feel a bit fresh towards it now. Just noticed there is a new expansion coming out too, if I'm liking the game I'll consider getting that!

ne porvivajo nur mortigi tempo

Whelp, you have an absolute boatload of content and changes to enjoy I suggest you get to max level asap and enjoy it. Have a look around some of the Storm Legion trailers too, we have some amazing stuff coming our way. Cannot wait!

I had a look through, but I couldn't remember anything from the game first time around so it's not much use reading it now! haha

I'm sure last time I played a Kelari mage, with something like necromancer and shaman souls.. Could be wrong though. Gonna roll with a Warrior type dude!

Reason I left last time was because I had no friends around, any fairly well populated EU shards? I've went for Ice-something, recommended PvE shard. Shall see how that is!

Icewatch, that's where I am. Busiest EU server by some margin I think, good place to be, though atm there is some lag in the evenings (Devs are working on fixing it). Both factions are well populated

Cool, I've went for a Kelari Warrior, can't remember exactly what calling or whatever.. currently at 5gb downloaded, trying to load in but the game just freezes saying downloading map or some shit. :P

It's not unusual for the game to hang at about 94% when on a loading screen, but it shouldn't be for more than 20s or so. Maybe let the rest of the game download, not sure.

What works for me sometimes if it gets stuck like that is alt tabbing out then back in.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankendog View Post
    What works for me sometimes if it gets stuck like that is alt tabbing out then back in.

Yup this helps.

But in order not to get stuck in first place, do not alt tab while loading.

There's just an insane amount of stuff to do at end game it's mind-boggling. I recently returned to Rift and am having a blast! Working on saving up my Autumn Harvest emblems to get a sweet looking mount. Also Storm Legion is coming out in less than two months.

10+ Year Old Account
    I run Rift and my OS on a SSD and there is a slight pause at 94% but is barely noticeable. I also run a overclocked ivy bride CPU so I'd image your system specs play a big role on load times.

Quote Originally Posted by goombatommy View Post
    There's just an insane amount of stuff to do at end game it's mind-boggling. I recently returned to Rift and am having a blast! Working on saving up my Autumn Harvest emblems to get a sweet looking mount. Also Storm Legion is coming out in less than two months.
    In retrospect, I think I should have tried this game a long time ago.

I trusted the reviews of friends who played it at launch. And they were not kind.

I just feel like I've missed out on so much, its a shame really.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    In retrospect, I think I should have tried this game a long time ago.

I trusted the reviews of friends who played it at launch. And they were not kind.

I just feel like I've missed out on so much, its a shame really.
    I played the game at launch. It wasn't the same game it is now. I didn't enjoy rift when it first came out. But I do now.

Just goes to show games can change.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    I played the game at launch. It wasn't the same game it is now. I didn't enjoy rift when it first came out. But I do now.

That's pretty accurate. I also played Rift not too far into it's life and wasn't impressed. Having come back a month ago, my feelings have definitely changed. The constant updates really kept my eye on the game throughout, but I like the feel of it now.

As for the OP, it doesn't really matter if you made it to cap or what your souls are. With so many roles (off-specs) at your disposal, just level with one and then look up to see what kinds of builds are best for whatever role you want. You can also use the callings that Trion lists for you. From what I've read, they're relatively decent build setups that do all the leg work for you. Either way, once I hit level cap, I looked up a good build and have been running dungeons with my shit gear, doing top dps. Can't beat that. Even if I am a Cleric. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post

Very true statement the difference with rift and other new games is what didn't work well or wasn't popular got tweaked, overhauled or removed. Too many devolpers these days just say suck it up or are extremely slow to adimt or fix their mistakes.

Typically but not always most bad reviews you see here are people who only tried the beta or the first month of the game. I understand people who hesitate to give it a second look since so many other games don't change much or adapt from launch.

If you are worried about performance, there is an application called Game Booster that can be used to help pump out some system tweaks to help.

And i also played rift when it came out. It is leaps and bounds from where the original game was.

Just had my first night of playing since downloading.. Wow, so far it isn't actually any different from it was before, I'm just really enjoying it! Level 15, I'm just liking that it seems to be much slower paced than WoW did, although I could be imagining things.

If anyone wants to chat in game my name is Azsurdormi, Kelari Warrior! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Farolok View Post
    Just had my first night of playing since downloading.. Wow, so far it isn't actually any different from it was before, I'm just really enjoying it! Level 15, I'm just liking that it seems to be much slower paced than WoW did, although I could be imagining things.
    Before level 50, the single biggest difference to the game is Instant Adventures. It's fast paced. First time through the game, I'd suggest questing if you have any interest in studying the world and learning stuff. If you just want to crack heads, be it NPCs or players at level 50, IA all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Acquiesce of Telara View Post
    Before level 50, the single biggest difference to the game is Instant Adventures. It's fast paced. First time through the game, I'd suggest questing if you have any interest in studying the world and learning stuff. If you just want to crack heads, be it NPCs or players at level 50, IA all the way.
    IA is definitely the fastest way to get to 50. Reason why? You get experience for everything. Need to blow up some barrels? You get XP for each barrel you blow up. Need to pick some flowers? You get XP for each flower. This is on top of the quest reward XP, which you don't even have to bother turning in, it does it automatically. Even if you only do the 14 IA quests that give the bump to XP it'll still help you blow through leveling. With that said, there are a couple issues that you'll run into. First, you don't get any quest rewards, so no gear. You'll have to either rely on what drops or the AH. Second, you won't really be able to level your professions at the same time as leveling since you'll spend a good amount of time in only a few areas. Third, sometimes you'll run into the need to stop a zone event. Those can take some time and aren't necessarily worth the effort.

I've joined a few IA now, it's great fun but not being able to afford a mount is a bit annoying considering all the other level 11-16 in the IA group have a mount.

Then again the IA I've joined are all quests I've already completed.. Not sure that's exactly how it's supposed to be but it's quite I dunno, boring, but at the same time exciting! The rush of joining up with people your same level taking part in a completely random activity (as opposed to LFG in WoW) is great! Definitely giving strong consideration to resubbing. I'm REALLY liking that with Rift you can really go at your own pace, so far there is no "omfg nub" just because you are low level. The people I have encountered so far (obviously all my own shard) have been INCREDIBLY friendly, which is something much missing from WoW. Everyone seems to know everyone, even the trolls, which isn't a bad thing.

When I first started, when it was very highly populated, there was no sense of community. Now that there is less people, there is a strong sense of community. Maybe people will stop wishing for vanilla WoW back because BC/WoTLK/Cata lost its comm, if they were to have played Rift and realised the larger player base ruined its community, not the expansion.

People liking the game = more people joining the game
    More people = bigger chance of dicks playing

Less people = less people to know, lower amount of guilds, more people know each other

Good post Farolok. low level mounts are relatively cheap. If you do sub, you can "P2W" by purchasing one of the Rift upgrade packs, which amongst other things, will give you a very large inventory bag and a free mount you can retrieve the minute any of your characters leave the 1-6 starter zone.

As for IAs, think of them as endless power grinding. You might kill quest-associated mobs from your leveling/questing experience, but the IA quests aren't related.

As you level up, you'll hit more parts of the map and more zones during IAs. They can grow a bit repetitive, but just like grinding/farming, they're a great means of meeting people and stuffing your coffers.