Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Awe View Post
    Meh. I didnt played affliction locks since loooong time. Shadow Priests? IDK. I heard their rotations got hairy in Cata. Did they? In the past few years I played a hunter, a rogue and some healing with priest. None of them had any sort of rotation that required some sort of great skill. Jebus, last thing I played was MM hunter (I stopped playing WoW in December). Watch your focus bar. Two active skills used on intervals (Chimera and Arcane/Aimed depending from your gearing style). Spam Steady Shot otherwise and once every 3 minutes press some DPS cooldown. Dont stand in fire. When DBM yells at your like a freight train, do something important like move away or click something. SOMETIMES you have some certain role like drop a trap or snare something but that is encounter specific.

In GW2 I need to dodge much more often. Aggro is bouncy and I often find to be chased by something that can 2-shot me. Auto-attack. Two skills used on intervals to increase damage (but only when I feel like I can go closer to melee range). Then there are three kits which I rotate frequently. At least try to swap to bomb kit every 20sec and drop the long cooldown bombs at feet of mobs, as long as it is safe to be in melee for a moment. That is swap to kit, use 3-skills, change. Then swap to granade kit and do same smoke granede, poison granede and frozing granede. Also use three toolbet skills (f2-f3-f4) on cooldown. Using healing skill pretty much on cooldown due to all the damage flying around. When I get hit harder, swap to med-kit. Then 1-2-3 on the run to eat some HP packs, leaded with 4 if I have some conditions on me, end with 5 for a buff and swap to another kit or back to weapon. All this while always watching the ground for often several red circles and running away from mobs chasing me, often more than one. And then look for downed people and try to ress them. I am sorry but for me that is much more frantic from what I usually did in WoW. And I for sure did more than LFR.

I am not saying that GW2 requires some awesome skills. It does not. Starcraft 2 or Street Fighter do. But saying that LFR > GW2 dungeons? Please.
    Why are you comparing one of the simplest WoW specs to one of the more complex GW2 classes?

In GW2, with my Warrior I just hit 4, then E (which proceeds to automatically press itself from here on out), and hit Q on cooldown for Greatsword. Hit Q once, then E once with main hand sword. Hit E once, 3 on cooldown, and 2 with full rage if I had to back out to range and use my Rifle for a bit

Compare similar things

---------- Post added 2012-09-20 at 05:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Galaddriel View Post
    You really have no idea what you're talking about do you? I have trouble believing you even tried the game.
    What's your Skype name? I'll call you and share my screen, so you can see, if you really doubt me
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggler View Post
    I bought GW2 and it basically showed me, what I have in WoW. To me, combat in GW2 seemed very clunky, just like character animations.
    I feel sorry for basically wasting 60€ but well, a mistake I learned from.
    I'm sorry, but your signature is absolutely hilarious after reading your post. Not sure if you intended it that way, but that's worth framing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadylol View Post
    Why are you comparing one of the simplest WoW specs to one of the more complex GW2 classes?

In GW2, with my Warrior I just hit 4, then E (which proceeds to automatically press itself from here on out), and hit Q on cooldown for Greatsword. Hit Q once, then E once with main hand sword. Hit E once, 3 on cooldown, and 2 with full rage if I had to back out to range and use my Rifle for a bit

Compare similar things

---------- Post added 2012-09-20 at 05:33 AM ----------

What's your Skype name? I'll call you and share my screen, so you can see, if you really doubt me
    I am comparing what I played. Engineer is my 1st class in GW2 and my chosen main. My hunter was my main in WoW. I also raided a bit with rogue in DS and it was even simpler (lolcombatspec). I compare my own experiences. Maybe its biased. But so can be yours.

Btw. I didnt reaserched it yet but maybe as warrior swapping weapons in combat would bring you some benefits? That would work similar to kit swapping.

PS. Hunters were not easiest spec to play in Cata. Arcane mages anyone?
    Last edited by Awe; 2012-09-20 at 09:40 AM.

if i were to choose to not play gw2 and had to pick another game, i would go to ffxiv instead of going back to wow

Deleted
    wait till the fluff of the new wears off and you will notice that wow is a superior game all around. i am not saying that gw2 is bad, but a lot of things aren't as great as anet or some fanboys make them out to be.

DEs are one of those things.

I am comparing what I played. Engineer is my 1st class in GW2 and my chosen main. My hunter was my main in WoW. I also raided a bit with rogue in DS and it was even simpler (lolcombatspec). I compare my own experiences. Maybe its biased. But so can be yours.

Btw. I didnt reaserched it yet but maybe as warrior swapping weapons in combat would bring you some benefits? That would work similar to kit swapping.
    It depends on your build, if weapon swapping will actually be beneficial, and it's usually not worth it to make a build around swapping 2 melee weapons, since you need a ranged weapon for a lot of stuff, and most of your swapping is just swapping from melee to rifle. But even double melee builds only involve swapping between two sets of 5 abilities, and of those 5 each, most weapons only have a couple that are worth using
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while

Deleted
    pretty much

Quote Originally Posted by Kawwah View Post
    I was also enjoying GW2, but it quickly became to much of a grind for my taste. Sure the events are cool, but many of the heart quests are very boring. Good thing about it all is that its free to play, so im gonna play wow for old friends and raiding reasons, and GW2 for social and relaxation reasons. Never understood why people needed to take a stand with either wow or GW2 when one of the games is F2P. Play both.
    I found the same thing, Ill dip in and out of GW2 when wow servers are down but wont be getting in the way of MoP for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohai View Post
    wait till the fluff of the new wears off and you will notice that wow is a superior game all around. i am not saying that gw2 is bad, but a lot of things aren't as great as anet or some fanboys make them out to be.

DEs are one of those things.
    DEs are actually the one thing that merits praise. World Bosses just being out and about is really cool, and even doing the events that spawn them is fun. The problem is that this "content" isn't competitive at all, by any definition, and bumrushing random bosses and stuff out in the world with 40 people doesn't stay fun forever

Quote Originally Posted by Thermor View Post
    Unfortunately, I bought Guild Wars 2 and can now never imagine myself enjoying WoW again. Anyone else feeling this way?

For me, Guild Wars takes a huge step forward with its gameplay and quest design. Its just far more enjoyable than WoW is atm. Its a similar feeling as when I first bought WoW. Its been 6 years of the same thing over and over again, its nice to have a big change. I highly recommend Guild Wars to anyone who is burned out on WoW in general. In fact, I recommend this game to just about anyone. €50 and no subscription fee is great value.
    I am willing to bet you Gw2 dies a slow death just like swtor and all the others .......

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo4200 View Post
    I am willing to bet you Gw2 dies a slow death just like swtor and all the others .......
    Not exactly

Guild Wars 2 doesn't need subscribers to stay financially viable. It does need people to buy the box, and relies on additional sales of microtransactions and paid expansions, but it won't need so much of these to generate sustainable revenue

There's already a lot less people playing than there were in the first couple weeks, though, and GW2 won't be some kind of massive success that kills WoW or anything like that. It will co-exist with other games in the buy to play category

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo4200 View Post
    you're on

/fillup

Another thing that's worth saying is the community in GW2 is really great. I've met so many players from so many other games, just pick up fun/play/chat with other people. It's really refreshing

Challenge when we want it, something easier when we don't, so many choices in the game, it feels so free.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven?

I bought guild wars 2 and can't really imagine myself enjoying WoW again. However, the 2 aren't related for me. WoW became unenjoyable on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Daffkeeks View Post
    you're on

/fillup
    Don't tempt fate

Fans and defenders of SWTOR, Warhammer, etc., also thought their game could never fail. Even I thought that SWTOR could manage 2-4 million subs, and co-exist with WoW, but look how that turned out

Deleted
    I did at first then I hit level 80 (and got full exotic geared) and the game fizzles out. The leveling was great, the combat is great but there's no long term PvE playability at the moment. The good thing is there's no fee and iv got my moneys worth (probably 250-300 hours) so im not to bothered I will come back to the game if/when Anet decide to add new content.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadylol View Post
    Don't tempt fate

Fans and defenders of SWTOR, Warhammer, etc., also thought their game could never fail. Even I thought that SWTOR could manage 2-4 million subs, and co-exist with WoW, but look how that turned out
    Don't Confuse me with some die hard gw2 fan, because I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaddriel View Post
    Another thing that's worth saying is the community in GW2 is really great. I've met so many players from so many other games, just pick up fun/play/chat with other people. It's really refreshing

Challenge when we want it, something easier when we don't, so many choices in the game, it feels so free.
    I'm not sure if you missed it earlier, but as you accused me outright of not even having played Guild Wars 2, I've offered to share my screen, so I can assure that I have. Private message me your Skype name, and we shall proceed

15+ Year Old Account

PS. Hunters were not easiest spec to play in Cata. Arcane mages anyone?

I just don't see why we're acting like only WoW has easy design elements. The WoW game isn't about standing at a target dummy any making sure you don't drop Steady Focus... (which btw, given haste ratings, you don't stand there spamming Steady Shot).

You stated you feel pressure on bosses in GW2... why? You die, go read reddit, and wait for someone to res you, which they will because it gives them XP. You don't even need to be at your computer to accept the res. Where exactly is the pressure in that? You've added the idea for your GW playtime that you need to be perfect, not die, and keep up a perfect rota.... err, whatever we want to call it... and then dismiss wanting to have that same perfection in WoW.

Sure you can skate by in WoW doing mediocre dps and lightly trying to stay alive... except it costs your team either having to waste one of their 3 (25m) or 1 (10m) brezes on you or the team is at a severe disadvantage. But in GW you can literally auto attack, die, get auto rezed... not even have to accept the res, continue to auto attack and get some reward when ever the boss finally dies. You don't have to be perfect in GW2... you choose to, and that's your right, but then you mention the lack of needing a perfect rotation in WoW like it's mandatory in GW... it's not.. the combat in group events could barely be any easier.

I tried to go back and it didn't help that everything changed and not for the better for the most part. Level 85 is completely imba at this point and it's completely useless to play.

I really cannot stand how offensive minded WoW is and I really never thought about it. Most defensive abilities in WoW are passive or RNG. Blizzards idea of Defense seems to be 8 second immunities. The only thing about WoW I miss is how stable everything is most of the time as GW2 has some of the issues WoW had back in Vanilla and then some.

When I went back to WoW I cannot tell you how many times I attempted to dodge or attempted to avoid a casters bolts by moving around. In a way I got better at WoW because I was more patient with my abilities (as Guild Wars 2 seems to condition you to do) but at the same time I found myself getting massacred because I was trying to avoid ranged abilities that aren't avoidable at all.

The combat in GW2 definitely takes a great deal more skill than RNG/Setup/Gear and to me that is very important in PvP and keeps me way more interested in PvE.

Also coming back to WoW is a nightmare because you have to go down a huge checklist of things to do to be ready to play. Talent, Bars, Glyphs, Reforging.. And there are too many damn buttons even for someone as myself who keybinds every single one.