View Poll Results: Will we see a level cap increase in the D3 expansion?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    48 55.17%
  • No.

    39 44.83%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Yalingo View Post
    You're all missing the main argument the dev's will need to answer to, what's best for the RMAH?

    What's best for the RMAH will be increasing the level cap and the level of loot, making all current loot obsolete. Thus making sure everyone who plays will have to re-gear themselves allowing for possible further transactions on the RMAH and increasing the earning potential of the game for blizzard.

    That is all.
    Well yes and no. The better way to look at it is what's best for the bottom line? Adding levels is best for that.

  2. #42
    i hope they do....just to stress the point that using real money for gear is pointless...all the godly gear bought for real money would be even more useless
    Photo Website: http://www.jeremynative.com Please check out

  3. #43
    Necromancer class being added and a game overhaul would bring me back.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremynative View Post
    i hope they do....just to stress the point that using real money for gear is pointless...all the godly gear bought for real money would be even more useless
    That would happen anyway regardless of levels or not. They will most certainly increase the Ilvl of gear (again also following the WoW model) and all that shit you spent REAL MONEY on will be worthless.

  5. #45
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    11,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkamedis View Post
    Necromancer class being added and a game overhaul would bring me back.
    I want a druid. I mean full on, celtic legend, druid. I want blood magic, nature magic, and some hybrid melee stuff. I don't want the bastardized druid that was in D2 and I don't want a WoW clone. (even though I play one)

    Druids resonate with me more than any class in any game ever does, but I want one done right in this game.

    Sorry to go OT, you triggered an impulse in my brain. I don't see how people think Blizzard won't raise the level cap though. It's true about the bottom line, more levels will pull people back in and result in a gear reset...contributing to their income directly.

  6. #46
    Brewmaster chaosjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Old Tristam
    Posts
    1,258
    maybe, maybe not

    Active Wow Player | Active D3 Player | Active Eve Player | Active Wot Player | Eve Gametime | Youtube / Twitter

  7. #47
    I am Murloc! Fenixdown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    5,786
    I honestly don't know. I mean, Paragon levels were also designed with the intent to eventually "remove" the necessity for Magic Find gear. However, if they added additional base levels, would they have to in turn increase the Magic Find cap> Or would newer gear just have no Magic Find on it?

  8. #48
    Diablo isn't the type of game to add new levels to. They would have to add more content, which wouldn't mesh at all with the story.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    I honestly don't know. I mean, Paragon levels were also designed with the intent to eventually "remove" the necessity for Magic Find gear. However, if they added additional base levels, would they have to in turn increase the Magic Find cap> Or would newer gear just have no Magic Find on it?
    I've read somewhere (a blue post) that they intend to remove Magic Find off gear slowly (and Paragon Level was a step towards it, since now MF has a cap - without counting NV), but they're not sure how exactly. Probably new gear won't have it!

  10. #50
    I think they almost have to. Gear is already getting pretty ridiculous for some people. If they do an expansion with the same level cap, then the new acts are going to need to be better gear and more difficult than act 4 inferno or there's no point in doing them from a character progression standpoint. Frankly, with the ungodly numbers some of the best gear people have, I can't imagine what it'd be if they simply added another layer of gear progression.

    The people mad that it would make all their hard earned gear worthless: if they don't make all your hard earned gear worthless, you're only gonna play through an expansion one time and have no reason to replay it to upgrade your gear after that. Then you'll be on here complaining about how the expansion has even less replay-ability than the original did.

  11. #51
    Pandaren Monk Ronnosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    I was discussing this with a friend.

    I asked him: What's the point of having separate "Paragon" levels? Blizz could have just increased the level cap (to 99, or 160, 200, whatever, it's just a number) instead. Just make level 60 the "pseudo-cap", in the sense that all your abilities/runes are unlocked and that the MF bonus per level starts at lvl 61. That way they are just regular levels, instead of the gimmicky and "gamey" Paragon system (i.e. having to have a blue number in parenthesis beside your level).

    He responded: The reason is that the expansion will increase the level cap from 60 to 80. Paragon levelling will freeze at that moment while you reach the new level cap (in other words, the exp you gain will go towards your "true" level from 61 to 80, and then towards your Paragon level once again once you reach 80). The new level cap will introduce new runes, possibly new abilities, and new gear, all with a > 60 level requirement. In other words: like WoW.

    My reaction to this was a combination of "oh god, please no" and "this isn't WoW"... but maybe that wouldn't be so bad?

    What do you guys think?

    1) Will we see a level cap increase in the D3 expansion?

    2) If not, what is the advantage of the Paragon system over simply increasing the level cap?
    There isn't any point in increasing the level cap since the Paragon levels already provide baseline stat increases in addition to the GF/MF bonuses. D3 essentially has 160 levels right now. Additionally, the next patch will be adding the "ramp up" toggle to make your content harder if you think it's currently too easy so, in the future, you can simply just ratchet up the expansion's difficulty if you think you're overgeared and breezing through. Unfortunately, I'm skeptical about this difficulty tuning utility since, as made evident in WOW by WotLK and Cata's final tier optional buff/debuff toggles, players will ALWAYS opt for the path of least difficulty and then have the nerve to complain that the game isn't hard enough....
    Last edited by Ronnosh; 2012-09-21 at 05:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind/Dæmion/Tobirama/Ophanim
    Diablo 3 Profile

  12. #52
    The Lightbringer Howard Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    3,943
    Quote Originally Posted by Duskster View Post
    There isn't any point in increasing the level cap since the Paragon levels already provide baseline stat increases in addition to the GF/MF bonuses. D3 essentially has 160 levels right now.
    Exactly, so why not just call them "levels" and have 160 of them, instead of having 60 levels + 100 "paragon levels"? That's essentially what I'm asking, and the only logical answer is what my friend told me: that they will increase the lvl 60 cap on an expansion.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Holy Paladin (retired)

    "This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

  13. #53
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    11,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    Exactly, so why not just call them "levels" and have 160 of them, instead of having 60 levels + 100 "paragon levels"? That's essentially what I'm asking, and the only logical answer is what my friend told me: that they will increase the lvl 60 cap on an expansion.
    Not to mention that as a company, Blizzard has been perfecting the Meta loops in games for quite some times. They heard we liked levels, so they put levels in our levels so we could level while we level. They use this so much in an attempt at humor, but in reality it is their mechanic for artificially extending their game with little to no effort.

    Now this doesn't mean it isn't welcome...whether it's just psychology/messing with our heads, it does add the the rewards for playing the game and it works. In case anyone doesn't understand what I mean about them perfecting it: PvP Seasons, Achievements, Transmog, etc.

  14. #54
    Aslong as they make the previous areas harder sure

  15. #55
    The Lightbringer Howard Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    3,943
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    That would happen anyway regardless of levels or not. They will most certainly increase the Ilvl of gear (again also following the WoW model) and all that shit you spent REAL MONEY on will be worthless.
    Indeed that was my initial theory: the expansion will just add gear with higher iLvl. Hope the people who paid 250 bucks for individual items get their money's worth by then
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Holy Paladin (retired)

    "This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

  16. #56
    If they add an expansion, they will certainly increase the maximum level

  17. #57
    I just hope they don't make current gear obsolete. They should make it like Tiers in WoW rather than expansions. I wouldn't like my legendaries out-geared by some higher level blue item with 500 int.
    "No more tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering."

  18. #58
    The Unstoppable Force I change my name a lot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Dota 2 24/7 / Dark Souls II
    Posts
    21,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Sjoak View Post
    If they add an expansion, they will certainly increase the maximum level
    Cause It's like WoW right?

    Lol'd

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    I was discussing this with a friend.

    I asked him: What's the point of having separate "Paragon" levels? Blizz could have just increased the level cap (to 99, or 160, 200, whatever, it's just a number) instead. Just make level 60 the "pseudo-cap", in the sense that all your abilities/runes are unlocked and that the MF bonus per level starts at lvl 61. That way they are just regular levels, instead of the gimmicky and "gamey" Paragon system (i.e. having to have a blue number in parenthesis beside your level).

    He responded: The reason is that the expansion will increase the level cap from 60 to 80. Paragon levelling will freeze at that moment while you reach the new level cap (in other words, the exp you gain will go towards your "true" level from 61 to 80, and then towards your Paragon level once again once you reach 80). The new level cap will introduce new runes, possibly new abilities, and new gear, all with a > 60 level requirement. In other words: like WoW.

    My reaction to this was a combination of "oh god, please no" and "this isn't WoW"... but maybe that wouldn't be so bad?

    What do you guys think?

    1) Will we see a level cap increase in the D3 expansion?

    2) If not, what is the advantage of the Paragon system over simply increasing the level cap?
    Monsters in Inferno get to be more powerful than because they are at a higher level than you are, aka:
    Act 1 Inferno: lv. 61
    Act 2 Inferno: lvl. 62
    Act 3 and 4 Inferno: lv. 63

    If you were able to continue leveling, those monsters would not be of same difficulty you because due level difference you have defensive stats against them.

    In terms of WoW, this is similar to how a lower level elite that used to beat the hell out of you hits like a wet noodle after you are 2-3 levels higher than them.

  20. #60
    Brewmaster juzalol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,283
    Probably just a new zone with level 64 monsters and items.

    And by the time the expansion hits they have already nerfed monster power
    to the ground they have to implement a monster power power which increases
    the amount of power monsters get from monster power.

    As D3 won't have ladder resets they will have to make some sort of gear reset
    at some point tho...

    So no, no level cap increase.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •