Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

American "Football" makes no sense.

Me and a buddy came across this video on 9GAG today that not only made us chuckle but think as well.

If football had to have it's name changed what do you think it should be called? My buddy thinks it should be called "tackle ball" rofl! What do you guys think
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

I think it has something to do with the size of the ball - being a foot. Now then we can argue that a foot (and the imperial system) makes no sense and there i will agree.

Unless we are talking about the barleycorn type of feet.

10+ Year Old Account
    It should be changed to something that makes people from other nations even more angry.

Deleted
    Well to be fair "softball" is pretty ambiguous too...those things are not that soft.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    I think it has something to do with the size of the ball - being a foot. Now then we can argue that a foot (and the imperial system) makes no sense and there i will agree.

Unless we are talking about the barleycorn type of feet.
    Lol. I love the college version of the game. Pretty complicated though - I can understand why people are frustrated by it. Took me awhile to fully understand the game.

Is it not obvious?

Gnome Pride!

10+ Year Old Account
    Our football is better than yours! >: P
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    It should be changed to something that makes people from other nations even more angry.
    Hahaha! For sure. The guy seems to know an awful lot about football for being so pissed about the name. What do I say to other countries who don't like it? Get it over it....plain and simple.

By that guys logic basketball should be called handball, hockey should be called stickpuck, tennis should be called racket ball, golf should be called club ball, baseball should be called hand ball. etc.

Its called football because its derivation of original football.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

10+ Year Old Account
    Its just how it is? This german guy is a fucking ass hole. He needs to calm down and get over it? Its a petty thing to care about.

When a wild forum troll appears

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Lol. I love the college version of the game. Pretty complicated though - I can understand why people are frustrated by it. Took me awhile to fully understand the game.
    It seems like it requires a lot of gear to play. Here you can just play football by getting a pair of good shoes and a ball. Everyone can play and you are not restricted by material needs. I take it that it is not something that is played for PE?

Deleted
    have you seen an egg in your life....what egg is pointed on both sides?

Quote Originally Posted by Davendwarf View Post
    Our football is better than yours! >: P
    The world disagrees :P

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems like it requires a lot of gear to play. Here you can just play football by getting a pair of good shoes and a ball. Everyone can play and you are not restricted by material needs. I take it that it is not something that is played for PE?
    Heavens no. There'd be a lawsuit every class period.

The world disagrees :P
    Amurrika > World
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

Quote Originally Posted by Socratees View Post
    have you seen an egg in your life....what egg is pointed on both sides?
    Eggs from a hen with constipation?

Deleted
    not necessarily. me and a couple of mates used to play on the meadow next to our flat w/o gear. Think of it as rugby.
    n.b i live in the UK not the US

I think Euro Football should be called Soccer. See it goes both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Davendwarf View Post
    Heavens no. There'd be a lawsuit every class period.
    Eh, people got hurt all the time when we played football in PE. I fucked up an opponents ankle by mistake - was the verdict from the referee >: D

Feet are used in kicking and punting the ball. Feet are also used while running with the ball. The game is played on people's feet. American's invented the game, they can call it what they want. If you don't like it ignore it like most American's do soccer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, at least in schools here they play football in PE. I think they have the girls play flag football though, and in grade school. But in middle and high school it's just out and out football...without the gear.