Poll: Poll

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waifu View Post
    for me defenitly not! i started watching it last week and have been entertained greatly!
    though i do find the random fillers it has quite boring. not that there are that many. what i also find bad is the flashbacks
    there are too many. (by that i dont mean the recap)
    But at least the flashbacks have meaning. They are almost always done to show a character's history and how they got to where they are. A major part of all the crewmember's story is that they are all misfits with pretty grim pasts who did not really have a place they belonged until they found each other.

The flashbacks to eailers events in the series are not nearly as bad other similar series. Naruto has to be the worst at that. I swear that series must have shown the scene where Sakura tries to stop Sasuke from leaving 50+ times and the one where Naruto promises her he will get Sasuke back another 30+ times. There was one time where they flashed back to those two scenes at least 4 episodes in a row and twice in the same episode. That is just annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    I would say it isn't overrated, but it does have one big flaw: It is incredibly drawn out. I love it to death, but it seems like every episode is 5 minutes or more of the opening and then a round up. It gets old. Most of the arcs are pretty well done as well. When I look back on all the arcs and adventures the Straw Hats have gone on, it truly is incredible. The only arc I really didn't like was the Skypeia arc... which happens to be one of the longest I believe.
    The 2 min. opening and previous episode recap stuff is one of the ways One Piece has been able to avoid large amounts of filler. It's a trade off and I would rather have a few min. less of show each week but have the majority of it be manga material vs. weeks long filler arcs every other arc.

I think its overrated in some ways, but for the most part I can't get into the series and I like the creators and other stuff they've done. I have to agree though the Animation is just bad. I've tried watching it all the way through multiple times but I just can't seem to get sucked in, I'm also not a big pirate guy. I mean I get the allure, but it doesn't suck me in. I might have to try the Manga and see if that makes a difference, but as an anime it just doesn't to do it for me. I'll take Full Metal/Bleach/Soul Eater etc if I want an anime in that vein.

Deleted
    It's really amazing for me, I never got bored after such a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time of watching it. Almost every Strawhat's story made me cry, I have a few favourites, like Chopper, Nami, Robin and Zoro. And there have been some really special moments like the one linked already in this thread that Luffy defeats with one punch that stupid guy that says the era of Dreams is over... Everything is very well made and I find it original... I mean! Who could make such a gem out of a pirate story?! It's not your regular bad pirates, they are fighting the corrupted "good guys" along with the bad pirates while they are pirates too. Just amazing! And the idea of the devil fruits was something really awesome I might add!!

Quote Originally Posted by -Dalliah- View Post
    One Piece ... is your typical shounen action plot. Bad guy is about to win -> good guy rages and gets his friendship powers -> good guy wins.
    I don't think that's true at all. There have been several times when Luffy has straight out failed. He was hopeless to stop his crew from being taken from him. He was almost dead after facing Magellan, barely surviving due to pure luck. He was still hopelessly outmatched when he fought Magellan a second time, even with assistance. He couldn't stop his brother from being killed, and he was broken mentally and physically during the war. There are other examples that escape me, but Luffy has had his fair share of hopeless failures; I won't even start on the rest of his crew.

On the flipside, many times where he managed to beat his enemies weren't because of 'friendship powers' (though many of them were), but because of chance or outside assistance. Enel just happened to be useless against rubber, the captives in Thriller Bark just happened to have extra shadows, etc.

I think One Piece has a good mix of failures and victories. They don't always win, and when they do, it's not always by their own merit. It's definitely not the best manga/anime that ever existed, but it deserves a place high on the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukari View Post
    Equality is a universal concept, you either care about it for everyone, or you don't care about it. It can't be compartmentalized, you can't champion equality for solely one group, that's inimical to the whole idea of equality.
    To make room for the cupcake!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenia View Post
    It's really amazing for me, I never got bored after such a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time of watching it. Almost every Strawhat's story made me cry, I have a few favourites, like Chopper, Nami, Robin and Zoro. And there have been some really special moments like the one linked already in this thread that Luffy defeats with one punch that stupid guy that says the era of Dreams is over... Everything is very well made and I find it original... I mean! Who could make such a gem out of a pirate story?! It's not your regular bad pirates, they are fighting the corrupted "good guys" along with the bad pirates while they are pirates too. Just amazing! And the idea of the devil fruits was something really awesome I might add!!
    Bolded part: I totally agree, another thing that OP does really well is that it does a good job at making you really hate the villains and I applaud Oda for this, he really makes it a point to make the villains act like major A-hole.

Deleted
    I think it's overrated. I have only watched the first episode, but I still people overestimate it too much as being the best anime/manga there. I know I can't say much because I only watched one epi, but I see a lot of people on FB and other sites that One Piece is always good and the best, I rarely see any negative stuff about it.

I still want to watch atleast the first season but I can't bring myself to do so since the first epi didn't really catch my eye. >.<

One piece rulz!

It has a very complex backround Story (if u bother to understand everything about the Grandline, 7Samurai-4Kings-Marine....) later on.
    And its not like the strawheads always win Sabaody Park // Fight at Marine Headquarter
    The Jokes are hilarious (Sanjii&Zorro together 4tw).
    Last edited by Genju; 2012-09-22 at 09:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Love it, though some arcs are hit or miss. Favourites are Alabasta, Water 7/Enies Lobby, Impel Down/Marineford.

I agree with the people talking about drawn out episodes. I haven't actually confirmed this, but I think one OP manga chapter = one OP anime episode, whereas other series usually have two chapters or more in an episode. The trade off is that other series have to make big filler arcs because they keep catching up.

As for whether or not arcs too long, I think that as long as it's interesting, it doesn't matter how long it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    I think it's overrated. I have only watched the first episode
    I hope you don't expect anybody to take your opinion seriously. You can't judge the worth of an anime series based on a single episode; especially when it's been running for over 10 years.

I know I can't say much because I only watched one epi
    You can't say anything valid having watched only one episode.

I still want to watch atleast the first season but I can't bring myself to do so since the first epi didn't really catch my eye. >.<
    Do yourself a favour and try it. The start is a little slow, but when it gets going it vastly improves. I've seen a lot of people resistant to give it a fair trial because of the start, but they usually come around fairly quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukari View Post
    Equality is a universal concept, you either care about it for everyone, or you don't care about it. It can't be compartmentalized, you can't champion equality for solely one group, that's inimical to the whole idea of equality.
    To make room for the cupcake!

I first saw One Piece on 4Kids and I was like "What the fuck is this shit?" Few years later, I encountered the series again through convenience, and became a loyal follower since.

Deleted
    Overrated? No idea, but it does deserve it's #1 spot for sure. Judging from the amount of people who hate on it without watching past the first season (or at all), one could almost say it's underrated.

There's so much story to everything, there's a plethorea of minor characters with better detail than many major characters in other anime. They could probably run the show for another 500 episodes exploring the currently introduced characters and story lines without the show feeling emptied.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is currently the top dog in the list of animes I watch currently. Is it the best anime? I don't know and I honestly don't care.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meari View Post
    If you think the anime is too drawn out you should definitely check out the manga. You will barely even notice it because each frame is interesting/funny. (and very detailed)

The only thing I miss from the anime are the openings, they are all amazing:

I agree with you, alot of the openings are well done. But the one you linked is also my favorite

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    Personally I like OP alot, it's one of my favorite series, thought I don't like Franky's new look in Part 2, and I think that perhaps Brook is a little too silly (not the fact that he is a skeleton).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Supajayare View Post
    I agree with you, alot of the openings are well done. But the one you linked is also my favorite
    One thing I disliked about some of the openings was that there would sometimes be spoilers in them. I'm glad I read the manga before watching the anime.

For example: The opening during the Alabasta Arc showed Nico Robin in the crew, even though in the series, she was still with Crocodile.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    One thing I disliked about some of the openings was that there would sometimes be spoilers in them. I'm glad I read the manga before watching the anime.

For example: The opening during the Alabasta Arc showed Nico Robin in the crew, even though in the series, she was still with Crocodile.
    That is true with many anime series, not just One Piece.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    I remember that. Realized soon after that a certain other lady from that saga wouldn't be joining them.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post

The Bad
    - Brook
    I just think you have a....BONE to pick with Brook (YOHOHOHO Skull Joke !)

but on topic: I managed to watch all the episodes till Time Skip or so and enjoyed it all but now days I just read the manga. The movies are suuuuper awesome, few last ones are recaps about how the crew was joining them and not watched 'em, but Storng World was wicked one of the best anime movies out there. One Piece as an anime is a hit or miss, you need to give it a proper try tho if you want to know is it for you or not (first 1 or 2 arcs AT LEAST). I think OP is going strong for many MANY chapters and episodes to come, and it really feels (to me) that Oda has so much to tell us about the pirates and the man's romance.

To answer your question, it isn't overrated, it has earned it's success in many ways ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    People arguing over OPINIONS.
    People discussing Toei's shitty animation.
    People not reading the actual manga.

That's obviously just a flame thread, especially considering OP's identity.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hanion548 View Post
    In my opinion overrated is One Piece.
    Thanks for sharing your opinion, Yoda.